Did you mean: 

Original topic:

usb c DAC audio clicking / popping

(Topic created on: 15-03-2020 11:09 AM)
SCS
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

Has anyone else had problems with background clicking or popping when listeing to audio using a USB C DAC? 

I use the Audioquest Dragonfly Cobolt which worked gloriously on my S10 but all sources on my S20 Ultra have background clicking once every 1.4 seconds (or so).

Searches tell me the that the S10 and the Note 10 had similiar issues when they were first released.

I'm not getting anything too useful from Samsung support. It's a very specific issue so looking to see whether it's my device or a generic issue.

121 REPLIES 121
SCS
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

A bit of an update.

There does seem be other instances of this occuring with other S20 devices using USB-C audio rather than bluetooth so I would assume that it isn't just my device/hardware.

I downloaded USB Audio Player Pro which has it's own USB audio drivers for Android and the clicking goes away.

This does suggest the issue is software/driver related as it was with the S10 & Note10.

It doesn't solve my issue as I can't stream from spotify, prime or play music without a persistant cliking sound.

Please start working on a fix Samsung.

JSugden
Journeyman
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

I have the same issue when I try to use my Dragonfly Red. It used to work perfectly on my S9+ with 96kHz sample rates (magenta led) being recognised by my Dragonfly. Playing through all apps including Spotify. With my new S20 Ultra I now get this clicking and popping and my Dragonfly is now only seeing 48kHz (blue led). It's very poor on Samsung's part and I would imagine it's a software/ hardware combination oversight after the removal of the 3.5 headphone jack.

Come on Samsung. This is basic stuff we expect from a £1200 phone!

Deejayleo
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

Yes, I have the same issue but with Fiio Q5 DAC. On Bluetooth mode is working properly. The problem is only when I connect with USB C. If I connect through Fiio app is working fine. 

JSugden
Journeyman
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

Very poor show on Samsung's part. They can't use the excuse of "we can't guarantee compatibility with 3 party devices" with this one. USB audio output is a standard and not specific to one manufacturer as far as I am aware. Fix it Samsung! I didn't pay this much for a phone which can't do basic things I'd expect a budget phone to do!

Ibeckitos
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

Yes I have the same issue using fiio Q1 Mark 2. Clicking sounds appeared constantly while it's working fine on my S10+ 😞 bummer samsung

Mikeyevs
Pioneer
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

The chird mojo does not work with the S20 Ultra. 

There is a lot of noise coming from the Samsung'sUSB port which cannot (at the time of writing) be attenuated. 

Mikeyevs
Pioneer
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

I have found a solution which works for me.

I have installed the USB Audio Player Pro app and it has completely resolved the issue.

In case this helps... in the settings on the app I have set the following:

HiRes driver audio format  - Auto

Bit perfect mode - when possible

Android sample rate - variable

Upsample - off

Sample rate - no limit

USB audio tweaks - Use USB dac

I use Tidal and Qobuz, radio and HD music and the player copes with them all!

I really hope this helps.

Mike

Ibeckitos
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

Thanks will try it. But still, it is working fine on my S10+. After the latest update, clicking sounds still appeared. USB DAC FiiO Q1 Mark II

Mikeyevs
Pioneer
Options
Galaxy S20 Series
Same here, no sonic improvement with the update, the only workaround is USB Audio pro, or stream directly to the Poly/Mojo