Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to edit contacts

(Topic created on: 22-11-2021 01:28 AM)
Contact_issues
Student
Options
I have a fairly new Galaxy S20 Ultra and there is no edit button when I select a contact from "my contacts". I'm unable to go back to edit any contact info on any of my contacts. When I go to the contacts app and select a contact the QR code, edit, and share buttons aren't at the bottom of the screen. 
0 Likes
13 REPLIES 13
Solution
BandOfBrothers
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

Hi @Contact_issues 

Try this.

Launch your phone app.

Tap on the (!) which is in a circle.

The edit button should be at the bottom.

I opt to save my contacts to my phone.

🌈 Stay Safe  🌈.

Daily Driver > Samsung Galaxy s²⁴ Ultra 512Gb ~ Titanium Black.

The advice I offer is my own and does not represent Samsung’s position.
I'm here to help. " This is the way. "

Contact_issues
Student
Options

Switching my contacts to save to phone fixed the issue. I had them being saved to Google, sync was turned on so they were already saved to my phone. Never had this issue until this week, thank you for the fix , I can still sync them to my Google and Samsung accounts. 

Much obliged. 

Navtex
First Poster
Options

I am having the same issues on my S20 FE, except that none of the answers work.  There are contacts that used to be editable on my S8, but after switching to S20, I only get History, with an option to Unblock, but when selected, does nothing.  If I find them in my phone history and open up the entry, all of their info is there, but selecting edit does nothing.  Contacts are being stored on the phone.

0 Likes
Maciej1977
First Poster
Options

I had the same problem on my brand new S20. I was unable to edit a contact, that was linked to Duo App. I have no idea, why it was linked, I've never planed to use that app.

Anyway, I turned off the app (unfortunately you cannot uninstall it) and uninstalled all updates, what - as I learned - removes all data from the app. 

Link to Duo dissappeared from this contact and I was able to edit it, though not everything was perfect: after editing I got two contacts with two different names (it was the name, that I wanted to edit), instead just a same contact with name changed. That may be because contact is also linked to WhatsApp. Who knows. 

krash1
Student
Options

Same problem.. But my S20 shows none of the options mentioned? No (!) in a circle. In edit mode there are no + signs to add fields as with my old model. On a new contact all I get is Name, Number and Email. after that "History". and as stated NO options.

It's very frustrating, and being forced to be armature programmer every time I "upgrade"

0 Likes
krash1
Student
Options

Tripped over an easy fix for my S20. On my home screen I had an orange "Contacts" icon, and this brought up the useless unfix-able app. But as I meandered through multiple windows of icons, looking for another app, I came across another "Contacts" icon, but this one was blue.  I figured "what the hell" and clicked on it, and everything worked. Had all the same contacts, but it also looked and worked just as the one on my old phone. Problem solved. I know you power users are laughing your butts off at this, with any number of tech explanations, like linked or un-linked apps etc.  But this is how many millions of users see the computer world, and why, when they redesign an icon of interface, people scream. Anyway hope this helps someone.

muffizainu
First Poster
Options

Thank you for this. Deleting Duo's data and cache did the trick for me.

(Prior to this, I had synced a Google account, which should have not been synced, and I assume duo grabbed the contacts from there, and never let go!)

0 Likes
Members_JSkSsad
Apprentice
Options

No reason to apologise.   This is a far from stupid answer and led me to the correct one which I will post - thank you.   :smiling-face:

0 Likes
Members_JSkSsad
Apprentice
Options

Two Fixes:

1) You may be in "Select Contacts" rather than the "Main" contacts screen.   They can look very similar to a new Android user or someone more familiar with iPhone.  The main app screen has an edit button whereas select contacts does not.   Close the screen or turn the whole phone off and on again to force it shut.

...or if it's not that:

2) Download "Contacts" app by Google from the Play store.   Put it on your home screen in place of the one that came with the phone.   
This will work around even badly broken original app without requiring a lot of user know how.

0 Likes