I'm thinking of upgrading to the S20 Ultra. Being a keen photographer I prefer to shoot RAW/DNG files and not just JPEG. Does anyone know whether this is possible with the S20 Ultra, and whether there are any restrictions on this, such as being unable to use it with certain lenses or shooting modes?
No RAW option for the wide angle camera. You can use it with Samsung or 3rd party apps to take JPEG.
Real pity that the wide angle and telephoto have no RAW option
I thought this may be useful to summarize after the ATCH update:
1. RAW is availalbe from main rear and front cameras both with Samsung App and 3rd party apps. The RAW from main camera is 12MP not 108MP (nona-binning is applied before DNG)
2. Rear Wide angle JPEG can be shot with 3rd party apps too
3. Rear telephoto lens can only save JPEG and can only be used from Sasmung's camera app
You can see a set of more technical images I took wiht S20 ultra to see how camera works here https://www.flickr.com/photos/kirilk/albums/72157713487224503
I uploaded a RAW file and processed variants here https://www.dropbox.com/sh/y9sxeh8b1ne2ak1/AAD8fu5k5OC--tJol2euqjOUa?dl=0
My observaitons from photo enthusiasts point of view:
1. Very good zoom option - 0.5x to 10x (12-240 equivalent)
2. Nice option to use phone as binoculars and some lower quality shots in 12-720mm equivalent range.
3. The 720 to 2400mm range (30x to 100x) is rarely useful for photos and stabilization does not work great at those focal lengths
4. Stabiliazaiton is fantastic in the 12-720mm range
5. RAW files from main camera are excellent. It seems phone overexposes those and then in RAW eidtor you have to pull down exposure and amplify contrast/clarity
6. JPEG processing from phone is heavy handed and I am unsure how to tone it down. In particular sharpening and HDR effects are exageratted sometimes. JPEG exaggerates blues substnaitially and I have to warm up photos to get to natural color often (recorded in RAW white balance is closer to correct)
7. The HEIC format is of extreme low quality and is next ot useless. I was hoping for nice 16 bit container wiht low compression artefacts i.e. an excellent alternative ot RAW that can acocomodate in phone computaitona tricks such as combinign many exposures with high bit depth needed for post processing. It is anything but that.
8. AF works well with the ATCH update
NO RAW files from the telephoto and wide anlge is a substanital problem!!!! Samsung guys please fix it!! We need DNG from all cameras. You are selling this as a capable photography oriented phone - make it such, give us RAW.
The S20 ultra does support RAW (DNG) files.
You have to choose "save as RAW" in optrion menu and it only works while taking photo's in the "PRO"mode.
As far as I know it does not save as RAW when you select the 100MP. I hope this changes!
I have the S20 Ultra 5G. It can still shoot RAW (.DNG files) but only with the main camera. The manual controls now include manual focus which is a nice upgrade. To be honest I generally use the 108MP camera (which isn't available in pro mode yet, sadly) as, with good lightly it yields truly incredible photos. The detail is remarkable, and being a Fuji shooter, I don't do a ton of editing in post. But I've been able to push/pull shadows and highlights on the 108MP files and they still come out great. For reference.... The 108MP is the same field of view as the "standard wide lens" (I think roughly 24mm FF equivalent if I remember correctly) and it yields photos as large as 38MB so far depending on the lighting. If it uses pixel binning in lower light situations (less megapixel swapped for larger more light sensitive pixels) the file sizes are much smaller.
The RAW files that come out of the PRO mode range from 25-30MB from my breif testing.
Hope this helps!!!
Such a pity Samsung crippled their cameras like this.
I didn't buy the S20 in the end. I bought an S10e due to its much more practical size. That also does RAW only from the narrow angle camera.
The difference in quality between RAW and the Jpeg is huge. The Jpeg is the "Samsung look" i.e. bright blue skies, bright green grass... The wide angle camera is barely usable.
Thanks. For clarity, shooting at normal resolution, can you use RAW with the wideangle, either using the Samsung camera or a third party app (if so, which)?
There is no RAW support on the wide angle at all.
Only the main 24mm and the front camera support RAW.
HEIC from the Ultra seems to only be used for compression. Image Quality seems worse than JPEG.
Thanks for the information.
I was about to buy the S20 Ultra.
But missing RAW-Support for ultrawide and tele cameras is a TOTAL deal-breaker for me.
Why pay for a smartphone with good hardware and multiple lenses, when most of them are usable only with JPEG.
Every person, who has slight knowlegde and abilities in image editing, never touches JPEGS.... I don't understand why Samsung markets this phone for the photo-enthusiast....
Ehm, yes, I'm disappointed.... not sure what to buy... would love the S20 Ultra with multiple real (= RAW) cameras.... ^^
Wait for Sony to bring the RAW update for the Xperia 1 mark II and see if it supports all 3 cameras. The phone has eye auto focus and it is looking impressive, i wish Samsung can bring an update that enables eye autofocus on the S20 lineup.