Did you mean: 

Original topic:

S20 Random Restarts

(Topic created on: 11-03-2020 01:36 PM)
JackIsaacs
Apprentice
Options

Hi All, 

Is anyone else experiencing random restarts with there S20. 

My keeps restarting randomly when i am in the middle of using it. 

Any ideas??

717 REPLIES 717
Therocket
First Poster
Options

I am stiil getting this problem even after reflashing the phone with the latest firmware, "Android 11" as anyone found a fix for this issue.

mooredzinez
First Poster
Options

Oh no! Really. I bought this phone recently and am sending it back for a new one too.. I hope the new one does  not have the same problem!😪

Raymond_sham
Apprentice
Options

Hi All,

My S20 5G has also been experiencing random restarts.

For context, I used Smart Switch to transfer data and downloaded the same apps as my old phone. Originally the random restart occurred when I was using the plug in AKG earphones that came in the box. But unfortunately, the restarts occurred even when the phone was running idle without any apps running in the background.

I then did the usual steps as recommended by Samsung after calling their support line: Switching the phone off and on manually, deleting apps, turning off Wi-Fi, wiping the cache portion and finally doing a factory reset.

After doing each of these steps, the phone still restarted. At that point the phone was sent for repair – but all that occurred was testing and a new software update. Unfortunately, after a day of use, the phone still restarted, and again I went through the usual steps e.g., factory reset.

Samsung then sent it in for repair a second time. I have just received it again, but this time, on the advice of my flatmate who works in IT suggested when turning the phone on, I do not download or transfer anything, turn the Wi-Fi off and simply leave the phone on without any apps running as if it were a brand-new phone. Having checked the Up time (under status), it has restarted randomly by itself AGAIN.

In their letter Samsung claim no faults could be found and that its possible that the restarts are being caused by rogue 3rd party apps or Wi-Fi connection, but having turned on the phone without downloading any third party apps or transferring data, how is it not a hardware problem?

Anyone who has been through this, any help would be appreciated. Samsung are not offering a replacement as it has been longer than a month since purchase, yet the problem persists. Samsung’s response has been awful as they are just suggesting I send it in for repair again!

Members_EoA8Qjl
Journeyman
Options

Same here. My S20 has been randomly restarting from xmas, got it in August. It normally restarted during the night for some reason, but it has restarted before when I was holding the phone.

I have tried everything; factory reset, clear cache, checked the auto optimisation, remove third-party apps, put the phone in safe mode to no avail, it still restarts randomly.

It only does it a few times a day but once is too much and really frustrating. Samsung needs to rectify this. I 

0 Likes
Members_EoA8Qjl
Journeyman
Options

Yeah no media coverage at all. All the reviews made me think it was a great phone, so disappointed. Still affecting people March 2021

0 Likes
Members_EoA8Qjl
Journeyman
Options

It does still occur during safe mode, tried it as a last resort and my phone still restarted at night. I have checked auto optimisation, removed third party apps, factory reset the phone, clear cache, lost so much time of my life.

0 Likes
Raymond_sham
Apprentice
Options

Hi, its finally stopped restarting after its 3rd time in for repair. The first two times they didn't actually repair anything - they just ran tests  and did a software update. On the 3rd time, they replaced the motherboard and its seems to be okay... 

If you send it in for repair - insist that they actually leave the phone idle after factory reset to see if it restarts, and make sure they actually replace parts of the phone, not just a software update/diagnostic test. 

Otherwise the whole process has been shambolic by Samsung.

Members_EoA8Qjl
Journeyman
Options

I have booked the phone in for repair three weeks ago. THREE times now the UPS driver has come to the door and doesn't know anything about the padded box he is meant to have and keeps asking me for a return label. I called UPS and Samsung several times, I last called Samsung on 24/02/2021. They apologised, said this shouldn't have happened and their logistics department would call me on 25/02/21 or 26/02/21. Its now March and no one has called me back... this is insanity!

0 Likes
BobAnonymous
First Poster
Options

Where do I access this list of option from?

0 Likes
Tanikah Mitchell
First Poster
Options

I have had my phone sent back to optus twice and now Samsung 5 times with this issue they keep telling me they updated this and that so on, get the phone back with the same issue, then it goes back and they said they can't find anything I send videos and still haven't done or replaced this phone it's so frustrating when I've even shown evidence but they haven't replaced it over 1000$ phone and can't use it

0 Likes