Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S20+ 5G Standalone - Cant connect to my private SA 5G test network (TestSIM)

(Topic created on: 15-01-2021 04:21 PM)
Giraffe2020_
First Poster
Options

Hi,

I am not sure If anyone else would have come across this but we have a private 5G test network (UK) and whist doing some handset testing we've found that the S20+ (Unlocked, direct from Samsung + latest updates installed) does not connect or register In our 5G core and is unusable.

When we are running our 5G test network in NSA mode the phones work as expected after we've added custom APN's and using our test SIM's but once we make the switch to SA they no longer work. Different devices are working with the same setup so we are confident with our configuration of the network.

Does anyone know if the handsets are perhaps limited to or restricted to only allow registration to MNO 5G cores when operating in standalone mode? or perhaps expects a certain PLMN's once in standalone mode that the test network/test SIM isnt providing?

I appreciate this might not be the correct place for this question but am at a bit of a loss and any help or insight would be greatly recieved.

Thanks

0 Likes
20 REPLIES 20
TessM
Mastermind
Options

Hey @Giraffe2020_ ,

I have passed this to the relevant team. As soon as I, or any of the moderator, have an answer we will let you know.

Have a great day now.

0 Likes
SaudA
Troubleshooter
Options

HI @Giraffe2020_ , we've let our developers know. Can you also send us an error log via the Members app, so they can look in to this in more detail. To send this, launch ‘Samsung Members App’ > Get help > Scroll down to Error Report, wait for the logs to be generated and send it to us. 

TessM
Mastermind
Options

Morning @Giraffe2020_ ,

we have now received a response from our developers. It seems that this feature isn't supported on the S20, that is why this doesn't work on your phone. They also tell us that this may be supported from S21 devices, however, this is still under consideration.

John Doe
Student
Options

Hello,

I'm wondering why the official Samsung S20 specs (https://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/galaxy-s20-5g/specs/) then say "5G Non-Standalone (NSA), Standalone (SA), Sub6 / mmWave" are all supported? How/why does this phone not support 5G SA properly if it has Snapdragon 865 with clear support for 5G SA? Or is that the private network aspect that is not supported, but it would work on public PLMNs?

Also, S21 is now available, with the even newer Snapdragon 888. Does this phone already support 5G SA?

Thank you.

John Doe
Student
Options

Hello,

Could you please share (if possible) which other devices are working with your 5G SA setup?

Thank you.

innovate5G
First Poster
Options

Any further information available on S20 or S21 support for 5G SA networks in mid band spectrum n41? How to connect the S20 or S21 to TDD mid-band 5G SA?

We notice T-Mobile Network in USA using the n71 (sub6 FDD) to anchor the n41(mid-band TDD) 5G SA. The Samsung devices support 5G SA only in sub6 and mmwave bands but not in 5G SA mid band. Why?

0 Likes
amir_ra
First Poster
Options

Hi,

I'm using S21 5G and have the same issue, the phone can connect to the public 5G NSA but when I'm using a private SIM card to connect to our 5G SA network, the phone can detect and connect to the network but after a while will drop-off. we used other brands and is working without problem. 

I'll appreciate it if you support me and let me know how can I sort the issue.

0 Likes
Thomas0204
First Poster
Options

Hi, my phone is S20+ has same issue in 5G private network, May i know you have any further step? thanks. 

0 Likes
amir_ra
First Poster
Options

In my case, as we don't have any voice service and there is no need for IMS registration but it seems Samsung phones cannot support the SIMCard without it. In my case phone can detect and attach to the network but as there is no feedback for IMS service from the core side will drop off.

I'm using OnePlus 9 pro and it's working!

0 Likes