Did you mean: 

Original topic:

RCS messaging not working.

(Topic created on: 18/01/21 08:37)
AshS20
Big Cheese
Options
Galaxy S20 Series
Hi I have an S20 5G running one ui 3.0 on the EE UK network. I had the phone 3 months and up until recently rcs messaging worked fine. However now it keeps saying registration failed. Have tried turning phone on and off have cleared cache and storage on the app. Have even tried Google messages app and on there it keeps saying trying to verify number. Its as if EE suddenly doesn't support it. However my wife has an S10e on same network running one ui 2.5 and hers works fine. Any ideas? 
166 REPLIES 166
Fiona26
Helping Hand
Options
Galaxy S20 Series
I have had the same problem on my Note 20 ultra. Got it sorted this morning. Only problem to get chat features working again, EE had to change my phone number. Samsung developers said it was nothing to do with their end. Done all trouble shooting to factory reset plus EE sent a new sim. But didn't solve the issue. so agreed to having my number changed and it worked. Hope it doesn't fail to register my phone number to often. Can't be dealing with changing my phone number regularly. It was working fine all last year just stopped on the 2nd Jan.
0 Likes
ironass
Troubleshooter
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

Glad you have got it sorted.

Just scanned through the posts on the forum dedicated to the Note 20 Ultra and cannot see anything similar. Therefore, I am inclined to think that your issue is carrier related. I have no issue with RCS on EE with my Galaxy S20 Ultra 5G. 

For the Note 20 and Note 20 Ultra forum, see... https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/galaxy-note20-note20-ultra-5g/bd-p/galaxy-note20-uk

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My device... Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G 16/512GB (G998B D/S) CSC=BTU
0 Likes
bradavon
Navigator
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

If you turn it off does it reconnect though?

It seems people can't reconnect it. It's more like to be a Google than Carrier issue, both Google Messages and Samsung Messages are connecting to Google's RCS Servers.

0 Likes
ironass
Troubleshooter
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

Just turned off RCS and then waited and turned it back on again and it took 12-15 seconds to reconnect. 

Just a thought, try Google Messages from the Play Store, which the Samsung Message app is based on. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My device... Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G 16/512GB (G998B D/S) CSC=BTU
0 Likes
bradavon
Navigator
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

Turning it off and on again doesn't work for many people. I can't get either app to connect, have been trying 3 weeks.

0 Likes
blueberry_cheesecake
Troubleshooter
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

@AshS20 

hello

1. re-install Google Messages app

2. check permissions / Settings → apps → Google Messages → Permissions

3. check the service with network provider if enabled on their end

😉

(\_/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
blueberry cheesecake so delicious
AshS20
Big Cheese
Options
Galaxy S20 Series
@Fiona26 thank you for your reply that has helped loads. I thought it might be something to do with that. I think I will just live without it in that case. The sms works well and there is whatsapp. Glad I didn't got through all the resetting to no joy.
AshS20
Big Cheese
Options
Galaxy S20 Series
@lunaticore I have tired all the usual apart from new sim and factory reset but as Fiona said a change of number is the only way it worked and I do think it's a problem with EE. have tried both messages app and Google messages up, on one it says registration failed on Google it says trying to verify phone number. Interestingly enough it happened on my s10 plus when I signed up to EE. I then made the horrible mistake of going to an iPhone for some time to then come back to the S20 5G which worked perfectly. However I give up now rcs is not the be all and end all will just live without it. thanks everyone 👍
0 Likes
bradavon
Navigator
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

Google problem :).

You're registering your number on Google's RCS server either using Google Messages and I'm pretty sure Samsung Messages. I'm not 100% sure on Samsung Messages as my brother on Sky can't get RCS in Samsung Messages (they don't apparently support it) but there's also this:

https://www.androidpolice.com/2020/12/16/samsung-messages-starts-adding-support-for-google-rcs-chat

Either way it breaks because your number is registered with the service and for reasons no one seems to know can't be unregistered at this point of breaking.

I suspect Google would have to fix it but Google being so big don't offer direct support I'm aware of.

0 Likes