Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Original topic:

Is the Samssung Galaxy S20+ camera resolution strong enough to be able to take Canvas photo?

(Topic created on: 18-05-2020 05:40 AM)
Yankie007
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

Hi,

I have a question related to the camera resolution of the Samsung Galaxy S20+. I was wondering if the camera resolution is high enough to take some huge picture to make a canvas for example 48" X 60" (4 Ft X 5Ft) and be great quality? 

Thanks,

Yannik

6 REPLIES 6
W0lf
Explorer
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

Here is a 64mp sample from my S20 (Exynos). Judge for yourself.

https://i.imgur.com/ezixlVy.jpg

Download full file:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/i6rhopwqe9rbpmn/20200412_123554.jpg/file 

Libb
Samsung Maker ★★★
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

Simply and short answer is NO. If you use 64 Mpx sensor, you're limited to good light conditions.

Resolution of the image is 6936x9248px, you want  48"x60" so it means cca 154 dpi. Great quality (photo) is 300 dpi.

But if you take into account that you won't probably look at that big picture from 30cm distance, 150 dpi is enough.

Some examples: my camera (Nikon Z7) has only 47 Mpx. It is high class camera with price cca £ 3300. In my photo studio is a picture in your requested size taken by Canon D30 with 8Mpx resolution and nobody conplained. The content is mostry more important than perfect dpi. So more complex answer is: YES. And I believe that 12 Mpx is also enough.

SAMSUNG Galaxy S22 Ultra 512 Black | Galaxy Watch5 Pro Black
Galaxy Buds, Buds2 white | Galaxy Buds Pro silver
Yankie007
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

Thank you so much for the reply! I always wanted to take pictures of my awesome service dog and printed on a huge Canvas but I don't know enough about resolution to know if its possible because I don't want to invest over $1000 on a smartphone that can't produce such photo! 

0 Likes
Yankie007
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S20 Series
Its a beautiful photo although I'm still wondering how large you can print this photo on a canvas and still look great?
0 Likes
Libb
Samsung Maker ★★★
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

If you want to print the photo, just do some math: take size of the picture in pixels, divite by 300 and you get size in inches.

For example. My S20+ takes pictures in 64Mpx in resolution 9248x6936 pixels. Then it is:

9248 / 300 = 30.8" (78 cm)

6936 / 300 = 23.1" (58 cm)

If you want really big print, you can use 150 instead of 300.

What the number means? It is dpi (dots per inch), it is how small pixels are and how many pixels is in 1". 300 is a photo quality but when you create big picture, you don't look at it from small distance so you can decrease dpi up to 150 or 100 in case of really big picture.

Long story short: S20+ or S20 Ultra have so big resolution that you don't have to thing about that and just print :smiling-face:

0 Likes
Libb
Samsung Maker ★★★
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

P.S. If my answer was helpful, can you select is as a solution please?

0 Likes