Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Original topic:

How to get the screen to wake (and stay that way) when a notification comes in? S20 FE

(Topic created on: 21-01-2021 12:50 AM)
Strixy
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

On my previous Pixel devices the screen would wake to show me the new notification. All I had to do was glace at it and I would know there was a notification. I could read it and then decide if I needed to respond. None of this required me to touch the phone.

I have even gone so far as to unlock the developer options and enable "Stay Awake", but this does not work when using wireless charging as it stops once it's full. If I have to use the wired charging I'll ruin my USB port in a month!

Does anyone know any other way to get the screen to wake when a notification comes in?

0 Likes
4 REPLIES 4
strawberry cake
Hotshot
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

hello @Strixy 

head to Settings → Lock screen → enable Notifications → then tap for more details (show content, hide, etc.,)

or Settings → search above "Lock screen"

thanks 😀

(\_/)
(='.'=)
(")_(") strawberry cake so delicious

0 Likes
Strixy
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

Hi @lunaticore 

I don't have that exact setting, however I do have Settings -> Lock Screen -> Notifications and that is currently on.

The settings above "Lock Screen" for me is "Themes". I'm not sure if there's one in there that does what I need it to do, but I would buy one if I it did. I'm pretty sure you're thinking of something else and your settings screen is slightly different from mine, but I do appreciate the effort.

I have also played with the "always on" screen settings, but that only shows the icon not the context (details) and it's difficult to even identify which app it is (email, txt, voice mail).

I've enabled "notification details" so when I do pick up my phone it shows the details without having to unlock the phone, so that's a positive.

I've enabled the tap to wake feature, but that doesn't work consistently. To be fair that didn't work consistently on my old Pixel devices either. tap, tap tap tap tap taptaptaptaptapTAPTAPTAP... (pick up phone, hit the power button).

To clarify, notifications with details do appear on my lock screen, but in order to actually see that lock screen I have to put down what I'm doing, pick up my phone and hit the power button. It sounds like an inconsequential little thing until what's in your hands is something you can't put down because of your job, but your job also requires access to those messages. Most things can wait, but one or two things a day really can't. I need to know the difference as quickly as possible. Being able to glance at your phone, see that the screen is on and review the message to determine if you actually do need to drop what you're doing right now is an important feature. Consider that 30mins a day is 10 hours a month. Now imagine working for straight commission and losing more than a day of work every month because of an "inconsequential" feature that's missing from your cool new phone.

0 Likes
David M
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

Did you ever find a solution? I'm having the same problem after coming from a Pixel. It's driving me crazy.

Edit to help anyone else with the same problem: I ended up using a 3rd party app called Glimpse that works well so far.

Strixy
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S20 Series

I found a solution, but it's not ideal as it doesn't work with wireless charging.

If you enable the developer tools there's an option to keep the screen on while plugged in. That has some security implications plus I have to plug/unplug my phone 12 times a day which is sub-optimal.

I have concerns about granting permissions to a 3rd party app especially where my private data is concerned, but I'll look into Glimpse, thanks!

0 Likes