Did you mean: 

Original topic:

DO NOT Update to OneUI 3.0 - Battery Drain

(Topic created on: 02-01-2021 07:25 PM)
Members_xAT830a
Journeyman
Options

Hello everyone,

This is just a friendly heads up - coming from Galaxy S20 FE 5G here, recently updated to OneUI 3.0 (Android 11) which is nice and all but it has one major flaw at this time - the battery drain is obscene. Losing 6% over night on airplane mode.

Today, charged my phone from 20% to 85% and with nothing but wi-fi and auto sync enabled, in a couple of hours in which I didn't touch my phone, and barely had 1 minute of screen on time, and only a single messenger message received (no calls or any other interaction), I lost 5% battery in a couple hours.

Just as a comparison, previously (on OneUI 2.5 - Android 10) I would lose on average 2% overnight on airplane mode, and nowhere near as much as 5% in such a short amount of time on idle.

Here's a screenshot from OneUI 3.0 battery usage (which is also bugged - https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/galaxy-note20-note20-ultra-5g/battery-graph/td-p/2550592/page/2 & https://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-note-20-note-20-ultra/1017960-battery-usage-graph-d...) of what I'm describing above - the battery drain is not even reflected if I'm looking at the apps here!

b1.jpg

So if you value your battery life, screen on time, and generally the mileage you can get daily out of your device, do not update to Android 11 just yet.

EDIT: usage time has improved in my experience since I posted this. The idle drain got back to normal pretty quick, and as of today it feels like really good usage time again, still a pinch below the previous version, but very decent. It feels as if the adaptive battery had to relearn everything from scratch, not sure if that's actually the case, just what it feels like.

Hope you all have a good experience.

23 REPLIES 23
Blessed4life
Black Belt 
Options
Hello all heres a fix I found that 100% works.
Please restart the phone after you've followed the instructions in the link (Sammobile) I've added.

https://www.sammobile.com/news/one-ui-3-0-battery-stats-2021-bug-on-galaxy-phones-fix
DianDD
Voyager
Options
Thank you so much, yeah I found this article yesterday while looking in the web for solutions and it works. I hope we get another update soon which fixes the autobrightness in low light conditions.....
Members_xAT830a
Journeyman
Options

Ok so after tonight, it looks like the standby drain came back to normal. I'll keep my eye on the drain, could it just be that it's readjusting or something 😕 I did turn off and back on the adaptive battery setting yesterday.

0 Likes
Blessed4life
Black Belt 
Options
Your very welcome, glad you fixed the battery chart issue.
Members_xAT830a
Journeyman
Options

Still looking at drainage/usage time and I'm not sure what to think yet, looks like it's getting more in line with what I would expect from previous usage. One thing is for sure, the battery usage graph does not account for the entire percentage that was drained, basically you can't really tell what drains your battery, so that's definitely a bug.

0 Likes
Saxacat
Pathfinder
Options
I used to get 2 days out of my S20 Ultra; battery life has dropped off significantly since the update, I'm now just about getting one day. My usage is the same and no new apps, so it must be the OS update.

would really like to revert to Android 10 ☹
0 Likes
Members_xAT830a
Journeyman
Options

Hi,

I found it really odd that in my case the battery drain has stabilized. All I did (and I'm not even sure that this is it) is turned 'adaptive battery' off and on again. I also did clear the cache partition after the update. Basically I'm getting decent idle drain now, and the graph seems to also report correctly now. I must have been some adjustment after the update I guess...

All this being said, I'm still getting worse drain than I did on Android 10, so yyyyeah. Unrelated but even on IOS 14 I'm seeing a relevant difference in battery drain. I would have been cool with bugs, but this is just bad. Honestly, if optimum usage time is a priority, I'd still probably stick with Android 10. Also, it really doesn't seem like Android 11 is bringing anything relevant to the table (maybe security enhancements?) but feature-wise some minor quality of life enhancements as far as I can see.

0 Likes
Saxacat
Pathfinder
Options
Well I'm not sure exactly what I did, but things are much better now. I deleted various caches (can't remember all the details, I was following suggestions in other posts); I also deleted some apps that I didn't use, and some newer apps (all apps been in use before the OS upgrade). I also turned adaptive battery off, then back on.

I then got two and a half days from my next charge!

I'm slowly adding some of the apps I removed, and I'm still getting two days from a charge, so maybe its sorted itself out.

I've not had any system updates during this time, but I'm more or less back to pre android 11.

Rather strangely, although the 'put unused apps to sleep' mode is on, the phone says no apps are in sleep, or deep sleep.
0 Likes
Members_xAT830a
Journeyman
Options

Yeah this sounds somewhat familiar, it almost feels like the adaptive battery feature had to relearn everything? No idea, but yeah, it's just gotten better over time, this weekend I got really good usage out of it.

And if I recall, my first experience with this device was also what seemed like horrible usage time out of a 4500mah battery (10% drain overnight, bad sot), but it just got really good after a while + tweaking all the settings.

When the update hit and I saw the wicked drain, I didn't actually expect it to get better without a patch.

So, there you have it, that's been my experience. Pretty satisfied right now with the drain/usage time I'm getting. Still feels like it's a pinch below the previous version, but pretty much on par with what I'd expect from this battery capacity.

0 Likes
Bharwah
Pathfinder
Options
I'm experiencing this with samsung notes running in the background with out being able to delete or put it in deep sleep now I'm bloody staring to face it with other apps , which I've only use for 1 - 3min and killing 1% battery like wtf

Screenshot_20210122-222026_Device care.jpg

0 Likes