Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Can't record audio with external mic

(Topic created on: 08-06-2020 06:22 PM)
JarvisJo
Apprentice
Options

Hi

I have been spending the past week ordering items and trying out combinations to no avail!
My phone is the s20
I am trying to use an AKG microphone, via a scarlett 2i2 interface as audio input, and nothing seems to work.
At first I naively thought that I all had to do was plug the USB audio interface into the phone via USB: as some of you may have already experienced, it produces a horrible screeching sound!
So I assumed that it would work instead with audio cables, that I would plug into my phone via a jack 3.5 to USB-C cable, so I bought both of those, plugged it in and... Nothing.
After hours of searching I found out that I had to buy a signal splitter, to plug the audio cable into the mic female jack and that would then connect to the jack to usb-c via a TRRS jack... So I buy that...
And still nothing!

I read that USB audio player pro has a driver that can bypass the phone's USB driver, so I purchase it... I still can't record audio when I record a video! 
I have exhausted every options, find nothing else on the internet, and can't understand WHY IS IT SO DIFFICULT to just record USB audio with this device??
I must also tell you that

-all of this works perfectly with my previous phone the S10 with the audio plugged via the headphone Jack
-My headset microphone works fine when I plug it in via the 3.5 jack to USB-c cable, or when I plug it into the microphone jack of the signal splitter. So the problem doesn't come from the cable.
-When I try to record I can hear through my interface's direct monitoring the sound picked up by my AKG microphone through my headphones. So the mic works, the interface works and sends the right signal. But that is still not the audio signal recorded by the phone! 
-When I press record on the phone, I get the notification "recording audio through headset", so it DOES detect my microphone but then it still record audio through the built-in mic. WHYYY??
What do I need to do, to connect my audio interface to my phone and get it to record the audio that comes from it?
I feel like I've exhausted every possibility, and I can't believe that there wouldn't be a solution??

Thank you very much to anyone who could help.

Go to solution
42 REPLIES 42
efeinblatt
Student
Options

Oh god, why did I give up my LG V30 for this piece of ***** Galaxy S21??? I'm having exactly the same problems recording audio through an external mic. Am using the Samsung USB-C to 3.5mm adaptor and the TempoTec Symphony USB-C to 3.5mm adaptor and multiple microphones with 3.5 connectors. Absolutely none of them work with any recording software - and I've tried many of them. When I make a video recording, I get a message that it is recording sound through a USB mic, but there is no sound on the video file. The only mic that works is one that is part of a headset, so it's not the adaptors that are the problem. This is unbelievably frustrating.

efeinblatt
Student
Options

Gee, I'm having the exact same problem with my S21. I've been through the same steps as you and have had the same results - essentially, recording only works the mic of a headset and no other mics. I've tried other DAC adaptors - though not the ESR-2 - but nothing works at all. Even getting a 'recording with USB mic' when I use the video app, but there is no sound on the video file. Have you been able to find any other solutions other than the 1/2 solution of the ESR-2 adaptor, which doesn't seem to be 100%?

0 Likes
Draekane
Student
Options

For the record, no, you can't use the Taotonics Bluetooth transmitter for this.  I bought it to try, and the Galaxy S20 doesn't recognize the device when it is set to transmit, only to receive.

0 Likes
Draekane
Student
Options

Ordering that one to try it out.  I have been trying a similar thing, trying to setup using CameraFi and my DSLR to live stream my daughter's soccer games.  I have tried using the phone's audio unsuccessfully, I have tried using the camera's audio (which it doesn't send via the HDMI to USB), I have tried using the Taotronics Bluetooth Transmitter.  I tried using a different 3.5mm port adapter.  I have even tried talking my cell company into letting me downgrade.  Just ordered the adapter you mentioned, and hoping that it works for me too!

0 Likes
Draekane
Student
Options

As many other people have been, I have been having the same kind of problems with my Samsung Galaxy S20, trying to live stream video.  For posterity, and to help others if it works, I wanted to record what I have tried, what my current setup is, etc...

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S20

Camera: Canon EOS 6D Mark II

Microphone: TAKSTAR SGC-600 On-Camera Condenser Interview Mic

Streaming App: CameraFi (to Facebook.  Works fine with JUST the phone, but the zoom and such is rough)

HDMI to USB Adapter: ARKTEK Video Capture Card (with a HDMI to Mini HDMI adapter, goes from camera to phone, using the USB-C for the DSLR video).

USB-C to 3.5mm/USB-C adapter: CableCreations 2-in-1 USB- C adapter (did NOT work at all for either the video or the audio)

Bluetooth Transmitter: TaoTronics Bluetooth 5.0 Transmitter and Receiver 2-in-1 Wireless 3.5mm adapter (also did NOT work.  The phone only picks up Bluetooth receivers, not transmitters)

I just ordered the recommended ESR Upgraded 2-in-1 USB-C PD Headphone Jack Adapter talked about in the solution, and I will update this once I get it and try it out.

UPDATE:

Unfortunately for me, that adapter did not appear to work.  I have still been unable to get both my DSLR Video in and external 35.mm microphone to both be recognized for streaming on my Samsung Galaxy S20.

0 Likes
StellaTheArtist
First Poster
Options

I just got this adapter for my Samsung 20 Note Ultra from Amazon and it works perfectly

ESR Upgraded 2-in-1 USB-C PD... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08B3S4JDR?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Stella
0 Likes
Momomoey
First Poster
Options

Hello everyone. Seems like this is the biggest thread on the topic so lemme share my experience here.

It definitely has to do with the dac. In the process of testing my mic, I tried it with my normal type C to headphone jack and also with the dslr converter adaptor bla bla that i see suggested.

However it finally works when i tried it with my ipad usb hub. Not really sure why it worked but it shows that this is the problem with the usb adaptor that we got. If anyone has a solution or a specific requirement with the type C adaptor, be it including a DAC chip or function or whatever, please share :face-with-tears-of-joy: Thanks. Hope it helps. 

0 Likes
ChicagoBhoy1967
Student
Options

Hey everyone - same issue, but I did find a workaround. 

If you download the app Open Camera, you can record video and audio through an external mic.  It works.  Not ideal, but it works. 

In the video settings of the app, just select the external mic as the audio source.  I'm a tech illiterate, but it was easy. 

LaRink
First Poster
Options

THANK YOU for sharing your solution!! I was having this same problem with my Boya external mic and it was so frustrating. I'm going to purchase the item you recommended. Thanks for again!

0 Likes
ChicagoBhoy1967
Student
Options

It's free!

0 Likes