Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What Would You Do? White Bar on Bottom of Display Suddenly Appeared

(Topic created on: 29-10-2020 05:40 PM)
tripledraw
Apprentice
Options

This morning upon unlocking my S10 I found a white bar covering about 1/5th of the bottom screen. Everything covered by the white bar still works fine (fingerprint scanner, typing, etc.), but it's impossible to get rid of it (tried reset and safe mode). 

Everything covered by the white part still works, you just can't see it...Everything covered by the white part still works, you just can't see it...

The phone was newly purchased in August, was completely fine the night before, and have never been dropped. 

Quick internet search shows the problem to be rather common, and have affected various versions of S8 - S10: 

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/galaxy-s10e-s10-s10-s10-5g/white-bar-bottom-of-the-screen-s10/td... 

https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/Galaxy-S10/White-bar-on-bottom-of-screen-anyone-else/td-p/570506

https://www.reddit.com/r/galaxys10/comments/ecv9lj/white_bar_on_the_bottom_of_phone_after_updating/ 

https://www.reddit.com/r/GalaxyS8/comments/bqrjxj/full_brightness_white_bar_on_bottom_of_screen/ 

I went to the service center and was quoted €260 to replace the front screen and the battery, which is apparently attached to it. They said it's not covered by warranty despite having passed only 3 of the 24 months period. 

What would you guys do? I really like the S10 but I'm kinda angry at the whole situation and am considering getting a different phone instead. 

0 Likes
7 REPLIES 7
DannyT
Options

Hey there, @tripledraw.

What did the service centre say the issue was? Has the phone been dropped or exposed to liquid? 

Welcome to the Community!

0 Likes
tripledraw
Apprentice
Options

Thanks for the welcome @DannyT. 

They simply glanced at the phone and said the front display needs to be replaced. I tried telling them it's brand new, never been dropped etc. but they said the replacement screen wouldn't be covered by Samsung warranty regardless. They even suggested that the S10 display is very sensitive - I could have accidentally sat on the phone and there wouldn't be any visible sign on the outside. But yeah, I'm not buying that at all. 

For now I'm back on my trusted S7 Edge until I can come to a decision. 

0 Likes
DannyT
Options

That doesn't sound good. Did they not perform any tests? 

Could you try a Hardware Test for us? Dial *#0*# from the phone. This will bring up a tiled menu. Tap Red, Green, Blue and Black, and let us know if the issue remains on these screens. 

Welcome to the Community!

0 Likes
tripledraw
Apprentice
Options

No test was done, there were 2 people there and they said I need a new display after a short glance. They didn't even touch my phone the whole time I was there. 

Clicking Red, Blue, Green and Black didn't change anything - the white bar was still there in all cases. But for some reason, I had to hit the power button to recover the screen after picking Black, whereas with Red, Blue and Green I simply had to tap the screen one more time. 

0 Likes
Nelson90ZC
Apprentice
Options

WIN_20210415_23_08_38_Pro.jpg

I'm having the exact same problem.  it happened out of nowhere.  

0 Likes
tripledraw
Apprentice
Options

I'm sorry to say you'll most likely have to spend €260+ if you want to have it fixed. 

I went to a Samsung service centre in a different country for a second opinion, and they told me the exact same thing. It doesn't matter how or when or why it happened because:

1.) It's a damage to the display,

2.) The whole front screen needs to be replaced, and

3.) that's not covered by their warranty even if you bought it yesterday...

Extremely odd considering all similar reports also happened out of nowhere without being dropped or anything, but apparently that's their policy. 

0 Likes
BlakeW
First Poster
Options

What does it mean if I did the hardware test and the white bar went away? Is that a good sign?

0 Likes