Did you mean: 

Original topic:

Ultrasonic fingerprint sensor fooled by 3d printed clone

(Topic created on: 08-04-2019 11:16 AM)
Jinjur
Navigator
Options
Galaxy S10 Series
So, I posted this before on another official samsung forum and it was removed because I actually linked the article that showed this activity happening. I was advised that this was because I breached forum guidelines. Or maybe it was just too hot for Samsung right now?

I am raising this again and will not post links to the articles themselves to see if that allows the post to remain

The purpose of this thread is to seek an official response from Samsung as while i appreciate that they might not be able to fix this, we need to know if these devices are still secure enough to warrant use.

So this guy seemed to be able to snag a photo of someones fingerprint from a glass and 3d print a copy of it and was able to use this to get into a Galaxy S10. Just think about that for a minute 😕

It would seem that this is not possible with capacitive fingerprint scanners (such as the S9 or S10e) so have we really been sold a device that has completeley insecure face bioimetrics and now, seemingly, after being told to use the fingerprint scanner for security, that it actually has much weaker fingerprint scanning than previous devices?

I know people are going to grumble and say to just use a pin etc but if this is the case, then we are looking at the latest flagship being less secure than previous devices it replaced? 

It is actually kind of a big deal seeing as my banking, paypal etc etc.......are all using my fingerprint for access and if the S10 is not as secure as my previous phone so right now..........we really do need Samsung to take their head out of the sand about these phones and talk to us.

Urgently

And for those that want to see the arcticles, a quick google should work for you or if you want, pm me and i will send you a link

J

0 Likes
17 REPLIES 17
KillYourIdols
Helping Hand
Options
Galaxy S10 Series

@Jinjur wrote:
So, I posted this before on another official samsung forum and it was removed because I actually linked the article that showed this activity happening. I was advised that this was because I breached forum guidelines. Or maybe it was just too hot for Samsung right now?

I am raising this again and will not post links to the articles themselves to see if that allows the post to remain

The purpose of this thread is to seek an official response from Samsung as while i appreciate that they might not be able to fix this, we need to know if these devices are still secure enough to warrant use.

So this guy seemed to be able to snag a photo of someones fingerprint from a glass and 3d print a copy of it and was able to use this to get into a Galaxy S10. Just think about that for a minute 😕

It would seem that this is not possible with capacitive fingerprint scanners (such as the S9 or S10e) so have we really been sold a device that has completeley insecure face bioimetrics and now, seemingly, after being told to use the fingerprint scanner for security, that it actually has much weaker fingerprint scanning than previous devices?

I know people are going to grumble and say to just use a pin etc but if this is the case, then we are looking at the latest flagship being less secure than previous devices it replaced? 

It is actually kind of a big deal seeing as my banking, paypal etc etc.......are all using my fingerprint for access and if the S10 is not as secure as my previous phone so right now..........we really do need Samsung to take their head out of the sand about these phones and talk to us.

Urgently

And for those that want to see the arcticles, a quick google should work for you or if you want, pm me and i will send you a link

J

If someone is going to the effort of copying my fingerprint and making a 3d copy JUST to get the pictures of my Dog, Fair play to them.

But Seriously, if that fact someone COULD copy your fingerprints and go to the effort to 3D print them to get into your phone bothers you, you are likely keeping private information on there that deserves to be somewhere more secure. It's like having a copy of the Mona Lisa in your garage and then complaining the lock on the door should be better just because someone could pick it.

These are mobile phones, if a data breach is going to cause you a hardship, your data should be backed up somewhere infinitely more secure. This is convenience, not a secure device by any means and should not be treated as such.

Jinjur
Navigator
Options
Galaxy S10 Series

Dude. Nobody, bar yourself gives a toss about your dog. That might be the thickest comment of 2019...............by quite a margin

If you could perhaps stretch your mind to accept that, you might consider that many use their phones for mobile banking and these finance companies trust fingerprint scanners as they have proven reliable on every previous incarnation of the tech (capacitive)

All of a sudden, we have seen that Samsungs version of an in screen fingerprint scanner can be duped by readily available and inexpensive tech so yeah, it is an issue. Maybe not for simple folk like yourself who just use their phones for candid pictures of your dog........but for people who use a fully featured flagship as it was intended, it is a big deal

Oh yes it is.

Given this, I wonder if online banks etc might consider pulling support for these devices specifically

If i was a bank and was responsible for securtity and/orout of pocket for fraud, it would be a simple decision.

This is going to do yet more damage to this new, super shiny product. Just imagine a bank weighing in a specifically stating that they will no longer approve the use of Samsung biometrics. You think that exploding phones were bad? This would affect every single phone and it doesn't need to explode to fail. 

It would be worse. This is a ticking time bomb.

0 Likes
KillYourIdols
Helping Hand
Options
Galaxy S10 Series

Ugh. I did get 90% through a response to you, then I realized it really wasn't worth my effort. I mean, I'm not overly busy today to be honest, and seeing you on your high horse was amusing, it really was, but I decided I would have more fun watching you either patronise people or get more and more infuriated when people dare disagree with you, Like these recent beauties:

"That is dumb. The dumbest analogy ever."

"If you think the scene optimizer can do anything even remotely close..........you truly are deluded"

"Lol.   "Samsung" and "Loyalty" together in one sentence"

" ...Did you watch the event? Probably not ..."

and then i stopped as I was bored reading it. I'd rather sit back and watch the bull***** from a distance.

Carry on Lads...

Jinjur
Navigator
Options
Galaxy S10 Series

90%....so  close.......but you didn't make it. Sorry to hear that.

Thanks for looking up my past posts. Super helpful. As are details around pictures of your dog and in general, amazing input.

"A distance"

Best place for you princess

0 Likes
KillYourIdols
Helping Hand
Options
Galaxy S10 Series

@Jinjur wrote:

90%....so  close.......but you didn't make it. Sorry to hear that.

Thanks for looking up my past posts. Super helpful. As are details around pictures of your dog and in general, amazing input.

"A distance"

Best place for you princess

:face-with-tears-of-joy:

0 Likes
smiley
Helping Hand
Options
Galaxy S10 Series

@KillYourIdols wrote:

Ugh. I did get 90% through a response to you, then I realized it really wasn't worth my effort. I mean, I'm not overly busy today to be honest, and seeing you on your high horse was amusing, it really was, but I decided I would have more fun watching you either patronise people or get more and more infuriated when people dare disagree with you, Like these recent beauties:

"If you think the scene optimizer can do anything even remotely close..........you truly are deluded"

and then i stopped as I was bored reading it. I'd rather sit back and watch the bull***** from a distance.

Carry on Lads...

Ha.   Totally agreed.  

@Jinjur... I have been reading the forums for a while.   Whilst the S10 and S10+ still need a few tweaks I think it is a great device overall.   You have over emphasised the minor issues above and  have had nothing good to say about anything Samsung since the release.   I mean is it really a 'life or death' if the camera doesn't currently support a night mode as such...  I have been using my camera constantly in Thailand for 3 weeks (including low light conditions)... and the picture quality is mostly amazing ! 

And who in their right mind is going to 3D print their own finger or someone elses ?   Do you have a 3D printer yourself ?  It is right to assume that 99.99% of all individuals will not have a 3D printer or the access to one.     Where do you get your data stating that the Samsung S10 is such a poor device ?   

This all begs the question of 'why on earth have you bought a samsung phone in the first place'... it seems you have made your mind up before even getting started !.   Your posts and constant complaints on everyone elses topics are beginning to bore... please change your tone and manner... 

Remember... if you buy a brand new release phone then must expect a few teething problems until Android bugs and issues are resolved... patience is a virtue.   These may take a number of weeks or months to resolve... and If you can't await for this then next time buy an older phone that has already been fixed for all it's bugs... it is a simple decision.  

I am still smiling with my Galaxy S10+.   And although I am a little bored with waiting, then I am willing to await my 30 days for my FREE buds... and I am also willing to await for any minor bugs to be fixed with the software.

Overall..fantastic phone, with great improvements over previous Galaxy generation phones.   Good work Samsung !!   

Smiley :smiling-face:

------------------------------------------------------------------------
SAMSUNG S21 ULTRA 512GB SM-G998B/DS
Samsung One UI 3.1 / Android 11.

Samsung Watch 3 45mm SM-R840 in Black
Jinjur
Navigator
Options
Galaxy S10 Series

It was good wasn't it?

0 Likes
KillYourIdols
Helping Hand
Options
Galaxy S10 Series

@smiley wrote:

@KillYourIdols wrote:

Carry on Lads...

Ha.   Totally agreed.  

@Jinjur... I have been reading the forums for a while.   Whilst the S10 and S10+ still need a few tweaks I think it is a great device overall.   You have over emphasised the minor issues above and  have had nothing good to say about anything Samsung since the release.   I mean is it really a 'life or death' if the camera doesn't currently support a night mode as such...  I have been using my camera constantly in Thailand for 3 weeks (including low light conditions)... and the picture quality is mostly amazing ! 

And who in their right mind is going to 3D print their own finger or someone elses ?   Do you have a 3D printer yourself ?  It is right to assume that 99.99% of all individuals will not have a 3D printer or the access to one.     Where do you get your data stating that the Samsung S10 is such a poor device ?   

This all begs the question of 'why on earth have you bought a samsung phone in the first place'... it seems you have made your mind up before even getting started !.   Your posts and constant complaints on everyone elses topics are beginning to bore... please change your tone and manner... 

Remember... if you buy a brand new release phone then must expect a few teething problems until Android bugs and issues are resolved... patience is a virtue.   These may take a number of weeks or months to resolve... and If you can't await for this then next time buy an older phone that has already been fixed for all it's bugs... it is a simple decision.  

I am still smiling with my Galaxy S10+.   And although I am a little bored with waiting, then I am willing to await my 30 days for my FREE buds... and I am also willing to await for any minor bugs to be fixed with the software.

Overall..fantastic phone, with great improvements over previous Galaxy generation phones.   Good work Samsung !!   

Smiley :smiling-face:

Don't worry, there is now a WHOLE LIST of ISSUES!

0 Likes
Jinjur
Navigator
Options
Galaxy S10 Series

Ok. Lets go.

"a few tweaks" - are you high?

"minor issues" - see above

"who in their right mind is going to 3D print their own finger or someone elses" - holy god. are you serious? 

"why on earth have you bought a samsung phone in the first place" - becuase i naively believed the hype?

"please change your tone and manner" - nah

"a few teething problems until Android (you mean One UI right?)bugs and issues are resolved" - maybe its meth, is it meth?

"I am still smiling with my Galaxy S10+" - its actually much harder than meth isnt it?

"Overall..fantastic phone, with great improvements over previous Galaxy generation phones" - deluded

0 Likes