Original topic:

Quick panel button grid - S10e Android 10

(Topic created on: 17/02/20 11:33)
Mrclius
Explorer
Options
Galaxy S10 Series

Hi there,

Am I missing something or has the option to change the button grid in quick panel been removed?

Wouldn't be surprised as samsung is known for removing useful features because they feel like it. 

PS. I kind of regret updating to 10. Battery live is slightly worse, few functions are missing (can't see screen battery usage in device care anymore, can't change button grid in quick panel). 

Everything was so ***** good on 9 and why oh why did I update 😞

30 REPLIES 30
Leofurda
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S10 Series

To me seems a downgrade to change something functional and perfectly working in something limited and stubborn and call it "improvement". It's not the button arrangement that will make the UX work better.
It was great so far, now it's not. The animation of the buttons rearranging while swiping down the bar looks bad and the 60hz refresh rate of the S10 makes it look like something old. Since the Update I should have gotten used to it, i did, but I still don't like it, I would still immediately use the option if there was one to change to 6x6. You swipe once and you see 6 buttons, you swipe again and the 6 expand into 4, the last two buttons get from the right to the left with a rudimentary animation that really doesn't fit to 2020.. please check again..and again..and again.. and tell me that it's an "improvement".. it's ugly and makes absolutely no sense aesthetically. How could one possibly like it? Yeah, no discussion on the taste of the people, but many don't like it.
We like Android because of the possibility of customisation. MikeZu needs HUE, i don't and i never will. Some want 4x4 because they don't care.. but other people care. The grid arrangement, again, will not make the UX work better. Period. We don't want Android to become stubborn like iOS and constantly justify everything that "it's for the better".
So many things in the iOS menu didn't exist, but existed on Android.. Apple users said "oh, who needs it? Android sucks anyway, i don't like that".. with years, iOS brought so many of those features and facilities. Apples users "yeah man, of course, it's Apple, it's the best".. and i think "umm.. yeah, i have those features since 2012.." 
So no, i want the Android to stay Android. Give me the customisation options back!

MikeZu
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S10 Series

I agree with Leofurda. I just mentioned one thing why i don't like to have just 4x4. But it's a crappy user experience to me too that when i scroll the quick panel down i have 6 icons (Note 10+) and when i scroll further it rearranges weirdly from 6 to 4 in a row.

I can rearrange the icons a little so that the ones i use the most are on the first screen, but it still feels like a downgrade. I use the quickpanel a lot and i use:

1. Wi-Fi

2. Sound

3. Bluetooh

4. Setting for turning the screen (My setting is in Dutch so i'm not sure about the name in English)

5. Flashlight

6. Wi-Fi Hotspot

7. Filter blue light

8, 9, 10, 11, 12 are HUE settings (from HUE Essentials).

That makes 12 so it's just about enough but i can't add another.

Leofurda
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S10 Series
Yes, i meant 6 buttons, not 5. I have the S10+ and it makes total sense to have 6x6 grid, because there's plenty of space on the screen. All buttons i'm used to it are now messed up and my finger goes automatically to a spot, but finds other buttons..but hey.. better UX expericece.. 🙄
Zebsys
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S10 Series

With the emergence of new designs and various resolution devices, quick panels also need to provide better UX.

ok. How does limiting a well used function provide a better UX? Out of all the options the designers have, this comment only confirms they redesigned a part and haven't made it a priority that it should have the same functionality as before.

The changed One UI version provides more buttons with 4x4 as the default arrangement.

No it doesn't. It's dynamic according to your information, it 'should' adapt accordingly when you use a huge screen but it doesn't 'provide' 'more' buttons. 
Also, if the resolution of the device changes, it dynamically changes the arrangement of buttons accordingly.

So, the new 'functionality' is based on the constantly changing resolution...? Which user requested that? How is this based on any UX and who thought this was a good idea in stead of keeping used functions or verifying this with the userbase? It even raised a concern with your beta testers..

Of course, the existing button grid menu disappears and can be awkward, but please understand that it is a process to create a better quick panel. Since the registered issue is UX concept, please keep the current status.

'of course' 'Disappears' 'can be awkward' 'please understand' 'a process to create a better quick panel' > you're laughing with us and releasing unfinished software to production. I suggest recreating an issue that requests the developers to finish their programming process before we lose more features 'because of UX'.

smsung-improver
Explorer
Options
Galaxy S10 Series

That's just bull*****.

1. How forcing your user to accept your view would give a better user experience?? Your product manager missed something here.

2. Are you just assuming that your users are not smart enough to adjust their own way their UI? And fix it if they were breaking it by putting too much or not enough buttons? We're not basic Apple users, that's why we go for Android/Samsung. And you have to understand something, we all have different opinions on what makes an UI convenient. If your Product Manager has big fingers or need glasses, what about the rest of the world?? Flexibility is convenience, end of line.

3. Why can't you set the UI in sync with your point of view with a default setting, but still let this option for those who want to do more or different? Just explain me with clear justification how this would break the UX experience. I'm curious about your new answer there. Because this one doesn't mean anything when you analyse it, absolutely nothing deep and meaningful.

I just both a S10. But if you don't restore this in the next coming month, I'm done with Samsung. Your answer is totally disrespectful.

Your UI, it was the only thing you kept, because about autonomy: 0. About robustness: 0. If now your break the UI, don't care about the flexibilty and force your opinion, there is nothing more at staying Samsung.

Google Pixel and OnePlus maybe will bring something different.

smsung-improver
Explorer
Options
Galaxy S10 Series
And for the record, on S9 / S10, I was using 5x4, your useless opinion force me to use 4x3 now.
Where is the added value for me or Galaxy S6 / S7 / S8 / S9 / S10 users??
Are you also assuming only the opinion of your S10+ users matters?
I still fill insulted.
Why don't you ask on a forum to take advice before such changes, when it worth it... Because in that case it does not worth it, you could have let a default setting and the button grid for those who want to change.
ProXtion
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S10 Series
Same, pls fix
Readone
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S10 Series

Simply install Hex Instaler app from PlayStore (paid app), then you can customize one UI.

Mrclius
Explorer
Options
Galaxy S10 Series

@Readone wrote:

Simply install Hex Instaler app from PlayStore (paid app), then you can customize one UI.

Yeah, a 3rd party app that is not free and doesn't guarantee to work properly at all times.  No thanks.

We had this option and it was removed without any reasonable explanation. Samsung is slowly becoming an Apple by telling us what is and what isn't good for us and how we should be using our devices.

Dlhughes38
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S10 Series
I agree with everything you are saying!