Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Notify During Call not working properly

(Topic created on: 19-09-2018 02:34 PM)
Feemy
Pioneer
Options

So this is something I noticed. I have Notify During Calls turned on because I want to hear a beep or get a vibration during a call when a notification comes through.

However, this doesn't seem to be working. The notifications come through but no audible beep or vibration.

I reached out to Samsung on live chat through Samsung Members who igave me the simple way out (do a factory reset or get a replacement. Like seriously WTF?!). I told him in no uncertain terms that that wasn't going to happen because the replacement phone is going to have the exact same problem and the factory reset isn't going to do anything to remedy the problem because the phone had been doing that from day 1.

So then I called Samsung Support and the guy was a lot more helpful. He used remote assistance to check settings and cleared data from the phone app. He then sent me a text message (Textra app) to test whilst I was on the call to him. Weirdly, there was a beep, but no vibration. Then he changed to stock Message app instead of Textra and now there was a vibration but no beep! Lol

So his buddy in the office also has a Note 9 and he tested on his phone. Same problem! Phew! It's not just my phone. Meanwhile I was getting other notifications from Twitter and WhatsApp, and there is no sound OR vibration. So he's scratching his head thinking this is weird. So he sends his friend a WhatsApp message too to test, and lo and behold he too doesn't get any audible sound or vibration either.

So basically this functionality is not working and I would like to know if others are having the same issue. If you are, I would strongly suggest that you contact Samsung Support and make them aware. They can then work on a software update to fix this.

17 REPLIES 17
Bades1978
Troubleshooter
Options

Hi @Feemy,

From my experience a factory reset will normally fix an issue due to a number of factors apps/settings/user error, in a number of post's I have spent hours or even days going backward and forward with a person to fix a issue that would have been sorted with a simple factory reset but I chose to take time out with a person to fix a issue. Now just saying you do this full factory reset (which takes the phone back to the out of a box experience) and the issue is the same, this would mean that there is a issue with that hand set and that it should be repaired/replaced. Reason I say this is that I do not have the issue you have with a working handset. My recommendation is to visit a Samsung experience store to get direct help as they can solve most things in a single visit. Trying to diagnose a issue over the phone/online can take a huge amount of time so if you can try the reset as all apps are safe saved in the could in the store's and for thing's like pictures save them in Google photos or in the Samsung cloud (or a SD card) but do not do a backup and restore as 9/10 times it will backup a setting that is causing the issue. I know that this may not be the answer you are looking for but please do try it :smiling-face: 

Feemy
Pioneer
Options

When I contacted Samsung STARS, they too had the same issue which means it's not an isolated issue  I guarantee a factory reset will not fix the problem  The reason for this is because the issue was there from Day 1  If a software update has caused this to happen  then that same update will cause it to happen again  

It is a problem with the phone app itself and will require an update  I'll tell you why. 

The Samsung STARS rep tested a few things  He sent me a text message (on Textra) while I was on the phone  I got a vibration but no beep. So he sent a text message to me but this time using the default Message app instead of Textra  This time, I got a beep but no vibration  We were both so confused 

Previously  I asked my friend to send me a WhatsApp and LINE message during our call to test if the Notify During Call functionality was working with those apps  Lo and behold there was no vibration OR beep. I told the Samsung STARS rep this. So he sent his colleague who owns a Note 9 a WhatsApp message  He too confirmed there was no beep or vibration!

Since this Notify During Call option is embedded in the Phone app itself  it means that app requires an update to fix this  It's easy to say factory reset will fix things  but that is not always the most convenient solution  How about Samsung patch it instead! This one Samsung 1st line Support lady advised me to go to Samsung Repair Centre and get my phone flashed  She didn't have a monkeys what she was talking about! I'm not sure how she even got employed by Samsung  Her knowledge was extremely poor.

0 Likes
Bades1978
Troubleshooter
Options

I have offered you advice that you should do a reset that might fix the problem so try it you say you have tried everything so try this as it is just another thing that you can tick off the list if it works perfect if not you can tell them you tried it, I will not argue over something, but if you are not willing to try a fix from the ideas suggested by the public then don't ask on a public forum. Hope you try it. 

0 Likes
Feemy
Pioneer
Options

@Bades1978 wrote:

I have offered you advice that you should do a reset that might fix the problem so try it you say you have tried everything so try this as it is just another thing that you can tick off the list if it works perfect if not you can tell them you tried it, I will not argue over something, but if you are not willing to try a fix from the ideas suggested by the public then don't ask on a public forum. Hope you try it. 

Your idea is factory reset. Not the best of solutions like I said  Maybe someone else with a better suggestion can chime in. I can ask wherever I like  Who are you to say otherwise. If you can't comprehend that the issue was there from the start AND during safe mode  then that's not my issue  Try and UNDERSTAND the whole situation before you tell others not to post on public forums  

0 Likes
AntS
Options

Hi guys. Can we keep things civil, please? :smiling-face-with-sunglasses:

@Feemy: Have you used the Members app to send an error report and info on the Notify Call issue to the software team?

Feemy
Pioneer
Options

@AntS wrote:

Hi guys. Can we keep things civil, please? :smiling-face-with-sunglasses:

@Feemy: Have you used the Members app to send an error report and info on the Notify Call issue to the software team?

I'm trying to keep it civil but I don't stand for comments like his. I've blocked him so I don't have to deal with such comments. 

Yes I have used the Members App and submitted an error report, but thought I would post here too.

I wonder if they will keep me updated with the progress of this issue  

AntS
Options

@Feemy: If other peeps experience the same Notify During Call issue as you are, I'd strongly recommend that they do the same in sending error reports. I've raised a query on the issue with our software team, so any advice on it from their end, then me or one of the other Mods will let you know.

Feemy
Pioneer
Options

@AntS wrote:

@Feemy: If other peeps experience the same Notify During Call issue as you are, I'd strongly recommend that they do the same in sending error reports. I've raised a query on the issue with our software team, so any advice on it from their end, then me or one of the other Mods will let you know.

Thanks 😊 

I wonder if the guy (Matt) at Samsung Stars sent an error report 🤔 I haven't come across another Note 9 user  but if I do  and they have this same issue  I'll definitely let them know to send an error report too  

0 Likes
Kondek85
Pathfinder
Options

So I've made some test using my girlfriends phone to call myself and indeed there is a strange issue (?) with this.

It looks like Notify During Calls option follows the actual sound profile on the phone.

When I turned on the SOUND profile with vibration enabled during the ring it did beep when I received an SMS Message during the call (it did not vibrate even when the option in notifications in Phone app was enabled, propably it's for smth different)

After that I changed to profile to VIBRATE and it did vibrate after receiving SMS Message but there was no beep.

At the end I went to MUTE. And guess what? There was no notification at all, no beep, no vibration.

So when we have ringtone sound turned on we will hear the beep but when we turn off the sound and stay with vibration only it will vibrate to notify, on mute it will do nothing.

Would be nice if vibration would join the beep in the sound mode - sometimes you have to keep the phone away from the ear for a moment or smth and you won't be notified if it won't vibrate.

So I think we know what's wrong and the log will not say too much to the Devs I think, looks like it just works this way.

The question is - is it a bug or developers wanted to keep this way?

Looks like my post is no 500 in Note 9 section 🍾🍾

0 Likes