Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Original topic:

Speaker/Microphone/echo issues in Galaxy Note 20/Ultra after the latest Android Update

(Topic created on: 06/12/20 00:34)
kranthicreddy
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy Note20 Series

I purchased my Galaxy Note 20 towards the end of November,2020. I setup the phone, updated Android to its latest release (1-Nov-2020) and started exploring various features. Everything looked good until I put it on speakerphone during a Whatsapp call. The caller mentioned that she keeps hearing an echo. Sometimes it's a repeat of what the caller says and other times it's random static sounds. I then tested various scenarios to isolate the issue. 

The issue happens especially with third-party apps such as Whatsapp/DUO and when using the speakerphone. Very rarely,  it happens with regular voice calls too. And the echo intensifies when the phone is held in hand or close to the body. The device has three microphones but the one on the bottom seems to be culprit. When I block it with hand, the echo disappears. But of course, the caller doesn't hear my voice too. 

I returned the device and got a replacement but the same issue happened on the second device too. 

That's when I did further research and realized that it must be a software issue rather than a hardware issue. Based on other stories, looks like the latest Android update caused the issue. 

Hope Samsung quickly releases a patch for this. It's a disgrace that a device that beats competitors in most aspects doesn't get its basics right. 

19 REPLIES 19
Oblitter8r
First Poster
Options
Galaxy Note20 Series

I am on the hunt to find a resolve for this issue. It is sad the the main purpose of a phone isn't working and giving feedback. Its just not right.

Undyx
First Poster
Options
Galaxy Note20 Series

Same problem here on my Galaxy Note 20. One of the main purpose of this smartphone for me is to make video calls with my son and, as a matter of fact, I can't make any video call! Unbelievable. So frustrating and so annoying!!! An awful waste of money, as of today.

0 Likes
Hero888
First Poster
Options
Galaxy Note20 Series

I also have this problem. Any solutions now? 

Maureralex05
First Poster
Options
Galaxy Note20 Series

Hi

I have the same problem on my Note20 ultra 5G and it looks like disabling Dolby Atmos improves it a lot.

Can someone test this?

0 Likes
caev
First Poster
Options
Galaxy Note20 Series
wow, finally found this post, exactly the same here, adding Google Duo to the lists
I have latest versio of android 11, can't tell if had the issue before
0 Likes
M Manik
First Poster
Options
Galaxy Note20 Series

I also have the same problem in my Note20 ultra, which I bought in 1st February. During video calling in messenger, my caller/recipient always hear a echo. First 1-2 minutes work well, then start echoing and gradually become worse. It's really frustrating.

Is there any solution?

Billy Lim
First Poster
Options
Galaxy Note20 Series

Hi did the sw upgrade help. I having this issue recently 

tetsuoken
First Poster
Options
Galaxy Note20 Series
Same thing happening to me on WhatsApp
Ev0l
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy Note20 Series
And to me. Reboot is the only thing I've found that assists
0 Likes
Mikesagres
First Poster
Options
Galaxy Note20 Series

I have my Note 20 Ultra since October 2020.

I had this issue a couple of days after I bought it. People complained they heard their own voices on regular phone calls. 

After some google search, I found a solution (for a different galaxy model) that apparently solved this issue. I know it had something to do with Bixby or Bixby voice. It had something to do with Bixby using the microphone at the same time or something like that… Cannot really remember the details. Anyway, disabling Bixby and Bixby routines seamed to solve the problem at that time until very recently.

After last software update, the problem reappeared. I checked Bixby and it is still turned off, but now the only way to fix the echo issue is to restart the phone. Very annoying indeed. Even more annoying is that you cannot just uninstall Bixby. You can force it to stop, but I don’t know if it restarts itself on its own or something…

I hope someone the understands software better than I do can find some usefulness in this piece of info and solve this. Sorry if I cannot be more precise. Technology is not really something I deal very well with.

0 Likes