Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Original topic:

note 20 ultra battery issues

(Topic created on: 09/11/20 02:51)
dojodanfrost
Options
Galaxy Note20 Series
Having terrible battery drain when the phone is not even in use and no background apps. My note 10 plus never had this issue. Last night I went to bed with 26 percent at 10 pm and at 6am this morning the phone was dead 

523 REPLIES 523
GingerRenegade
Explorer
Options
Galaxy Note20 Series

@BandOfBrothers good luck man on your journey. I'm loving this phone overall. 

@supremefox94 I noticed a bunch of other jump on the train of complaining its not good out of the box with battery life. Unfortunately the algorithm android has it takes time to settle in and get in a pattern of your normal activities. Never understood why it takes so long but it does. 

Any now to my update post. I just got out of work and I have used my phone quiet a bit during so. As I mentioned before my phone is the snapdragon and has been unplugged since 5:45am. I also have the Galaxy Watch 3 and Galaxy Buds paired and actively used the buds all day. 

I used Hulu on my 30 min lunch break, YouTube for a FlossyCarter video on the real review which was like 55 minutes (kept phone in pocket while listening on my galaxy buds screen was on the entirety of this video I don't have YouTube premium for off screen play). Throughout the rest of my shift I used Spotify to stream my music during work which was playing for 7 hours. Also did some shopping on Amazon during my two 10 min breaks as well. Did a Bluetooth phone call on my way home which is 15 min drive. Oh and 15 mins of pokemon go with adventure sync running in background all day.

At the end of all this and writing my update now I'm at 35% right now.. Not the best but a SIGNIFICANT improvement over the past 5 days. Not sure how much more improvement it will get over the next week but I def will keep this updated throughout the week. I'm gonna be up for the next 6 hours and I typically check Facebook and TikTok for a little bit not to much. But I think it will survive the rest of the night easily without plugging it in for once till bed time. 

StargazerUK
Explorer
Options
Galaxy Note20 Series

@BandOfBrothers you said you be happy if you get a full day and you should with the note 20 ultra given what you said you use if for you should get a full day no problems.

I said before my battery life improved a little with the update but my battery life has improved a bit more but I also done some tweaking and along with the battery learning as well has helped my battery life.

I was getting to the end of the day and now it's a day given the percentage it will get to over the day I doubt it won't do a most of another day like my note 10+ did but for me it's usable.

BandOfBrothers
Superuser I
Superuser I
Options
Galaxy Note20 Series

Thank you @GingerRenegade 

Samsung Note 20 Ultra.

Uk Exynos 256Gb.

I give my new phone's around 10 or so days to be able to learn my usage and let it adjust and settle in before I even think about how the battery is performing.

Also in that time the battery has been discharged and re charged enough times to get it to optimum output in my unscientific opinion.

Here's my sequence of events I use on my phone's for anyone interested  :smiling-face:

The phone comes with around 30 to 40% out of the box which is meant to be by Samsung to keep the battery at its best during transit and it sitting in a box waiting to be purchased.

This is enough charge to set it up so no need to put it on charge at this stage. I used to put it straight on charge to 100%.

I prefer to use my Samsung Cloud Back up once I've cleared the previous phone of old files, data , apps and then create a clean back up.

Then I use that clean Cloud Back up minus apps to move my stuff across. I'm not keen on Smartswitch.

Then I download my apps from the Playstore- my library.

I disable everything I can to do with Google including Google Chrome and put some apps to sleep and some to deep sleep.

120hz adaptive refresh rate is left On.

Then once I've tweaked some further preferences settings I clear the system cache files and then place it on charge via the wire to begin with and not a desktop wireless charger.

I'm not in favour of turning off features to save battery. 

What I'm seeing from people's screen shots is that Google Play Services is using around 10% of battery which is way too high. It should be around 2% at worst.

This says to me the Google Services and Google apps in the phone are for some reason communicating too much and somewhere the sync settings maybe the culprit along with Google Chrome.

It's not Google Play Services itself using juice.

A Google Search on this explains it much better than I can. :winking-face:

I can't use 5G so if I can turn that off in the phone's connection settings I will.

To conclude I'll charge the phone overnight to 100% and leave it at home to then see what the drain is while it's idle but has mobile data On so notifications and background activity is happening.

Then I'll move onto using it and see what happens.

If the phone gives me a days usage which is what my Note10 + 5G does then I'll be happy.

Sorry for rambling on.  :smiling-face:

🌈 Stay Safe & Stay Alert.  🌈 

Current Phone ~

Samsung Note 20 Ultra 5G SM-N9860_256Gb SnapDragon 865+

Samsung One Ui 3.0/ Android 11.

0 Likes
Frederickdawg
Explorer
Options
Galaxy Note20 Series

What did you expect was going to happen ? You have 1001 Google apps and 1001 similar Samsung apps running on this device. Learn to use adb and uninstall the lot off them. Issue resolved. 

0 Likes
EllyH
Overseer
Options
Galaxy Note20 Series
Yep , I've only had it 3 1/2 days and the battery life has got better each day. I'm sitting here, end of day 3 on 69% which is pretty ***** good by any phone's standard. Stark contrast to day one (first 24 hours after a full charge), where the battery drained completely, well before the initial 24 hours were up. Will see what happens over the next few days.
GingerRenegade
Explorer
Options
Galaxy Note20 Series

So yesterday was a great day for battery.  Today not so much till I did device care and took care of a couple problems and then rebooted my phone. The first hour my phone went from 100% to 72% when I did that. Now its been 3 hours since that and I'm at 64%. Odd thing was it was tiktok draining my battery and it wasn't even open in background. 

0 Likes
GingerRenegade
Explorer
Options
Galaxy Note20 Series

So Its been about a week since I last wrote here. The battery is still rough. But It doesn't seem to change much if I game heavy or not. It seems to decrease at a steady rate regardless of how fast or slow that is. The other day I played Citra 3DS emulator for 7 to 8 hours before i had to plug in and thats with using a Bluetooth ipega controller.

However I do highly recommend putting a lot of apps to sleep or deep sleep in settings under battery and app power management. It detects some on its own over time when using "device care". But if there's some apps you use once in a blue moon but want to Uninstall then put it to sleep so its not running in the background like push notification comes through. 

If its something you use frequently like Facebook or Instagram then I wouldn't put them to sleep. But say like the Walmart, gamestop, bestbuy, or any other app I myself put to sleep when not in use.

I found adaptive power save which I think I'm gonna tinker with and see how that plays out. Maximum performance I notice changes the resolution to WQHD+ by default which kills the 120hz so I typically stay on optimized which is fine. 

Steveal24
Just Browsing
Options
Galaxy Note20 Series

Hello,

I have been having a lot of issues with my Brand new Samsung Note 20 Ultra battery. the battery won't hold a charge that long and against the Samsung claim that a full charge will run you thought the day easily.. the truth it won't. I am not a heavy user, a usually light user with light social media and picture user, that's been said.. I start using my phone around 8 am yesterday for an example and it almost died at the gym around 4 pm. checked few emails, social media, took 3 pictures and used a light workout app, it was on charged twice during that time, listen to music...when I got home at 4 it had 8% ... I had the battery at the lower setting to save battery life. I am thinking of returning the phone, to be honest.

ads46
Navigator
Options
Galaxy Note20 Series

I'm in the same boat as you...I'm seriously considering a return, which I don't usually do.

To put in to perspective....today is probably the best battery performance I've had since Wednesday when I got it. Today it was fully charged at 12 when I went to work and is at 48 percent now (6 hours 40 later) All this being with honestly about an hours screen on time at best. All I've gone was check twitter, reply to a few texts and looked through these forums. The rest of the time its been in my pocket doing nothing. 

Ousss
Options
Galaxy Note20 Series
Same issue here and I am shocked by the false claim.
TomFR
Options
Galaxy Note20 Series
I'm having the same issue with the battery.
The screen is easily scratched aswell.
0 Likes
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Options
Galaxy Note20 Series

It is not the screen it is the screen protector which is plastic

0 Likes
Jasonseery
Smooth Operator
Options
Galaxy Note20 Series
samsumg pay for reviews they have to, how in tests and reviews are they great but 100s are now saying the battery is sh!t, send them back, people keeping the phones allow samsung to keep doing what they are doing lately scamming people, I use to love samsung, after the awful s10 and s20 camera, now the note 20 camera is suppose to be awful with the selfie camera too I wont be buying anything samsung again, don't let the future updates fool you, should be right from the start or i.e like the ones that reviewed it for the amazing battery life that it never had
0 Likes
tanvir302
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy Note20 Series
it has been a dreadful experience since Wednesday. I have to charge twice a day to get by. Samsung customer services is the worse, I have been advised someone from technical team will call to troubleshoot the battery issue. I cannot create a return online as the delivery from DPD still pending.

BandOfBrothers
Superuser I
Superuser I
Options
Galaxy Note20 Series

@tanvir302 

Your Google Play Services % is way too high.

It shouldn't be above around 2%'ish.

This is google apps and google chrome etc syncing etc too often. If suggest to Google Search about this type of battery drain due to Google Play Services.

Personally i disable all that's connected to Google apart from maps and use Samsung Internet app instead.

Try looking at that to begin with.

Current Phone ~

Samsung Note 20 Ultra 5G SM-N9860_256Gb SnapDragon 865+

Samsung One Ui 3.0/ Android 11.

0 Likes
tanvir302
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy Note20 Series
I have disabled Google play services and also turned off all of the Google apps which required syncing but it hasn't resolved the issue. Also the whole point of having a £1200 phone is I shouldn't have to live with the fear of battery running out.
Jasonseery
Smooth Operator
Options
Galaxy Note20 Series
@tanvir302 don't let them mess you around sending it back within your 14 day period and get your money back!! you will be stuck with something you won't be happy with
JasonYork
Options
Galaxy Note20 Series
I've had less than 4 hours screen time. in 12 hours its used 94% ...its going back if they can't hold a claim...its really bad. I'm bot a heavy user at all. top bull *****
Yaseen1
Explorer
Options
Galaxy Note20 Series

The battery life is absolutely awful. This is honestly unacceptable. I have to charge the phone 2 times a day just to get through light usage. I dread to see what happens if I play a game or watch some netflix to be honest. I thought this might just be an isolated issue and I have a faulty handset however, after reading everyone else's impressions it seems like I am not the only one. I was expecting more from Samsung, especially for a £1200 phone, really disappointed. I am going to return it ASAP and I would highly recommend everyone else to do the same.

Jasonseery
Smooth Operator
Options
Galaxy Note20 Series
scamsung done it again but will tell everyone an update will fix it and then its too late for people to return it, did anyone ever notice samsung never responds to all these bad reviews which any good business should respond to negative reviews
ads46
Navigator
Options
Galaxy Note20 Series

I'm tempted to return and I really don't usually do so...I feel like the battery life has been oversold. 

I upgraded on the upgrade programme and still have my note 10 plus atm as they haven't sent the pack to send it back yet. So I could send back and have a perfectly usable phone to use til I decide to buy something else. 

I hate the idea that I feel the need to return something I was looking forward to so much. But I'm worried about been stuck with something that's not worth the money and not being happy with it. 

0 Likes