Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Original topic:

note 20 ultra battery issues

(Topic created on: 24/08/20 22:07)
dojodanfrost
Options
Galaxy Note20 Series
Having terrible battery drain when the phone is not even in use and no background apps. My note 10 plus never had this issue. Last night I went to bed with 26 percent at 10 pm and at 6am this morning the phone was dead 

527 REPLIES 527
tanvir302
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy Note20 Series
I have disabled Google play services and also turned off all of the Google apps which required syncing but it hasn't resolved the issue. Also the whole point of having a £1200 phone is I shouldn't have to live with the fear of battery running out.
Steveal24
Just Browsing
Options
Galaxy Note20 Series

I am speaking to tech support and they're claiming that this is an isolated issue not reported issue and no one else is having the same issue... hahaha

tanvir302
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy Note20 Series
Well may be you can send them web links of Samsung Note 20 Ultra battery issues discussion on Samsung Community. To be honest, you are lucky at least you manage to get hold of someone from the technical team, I'm still waiting for my call since Friday.
Steveal24
Just Browsing
Options
Galaxy Note20 Series

Use chatter.. faster and documented.

0 Likes
Jasonseery
Smooth Operator
Options
Galaxy Note20 Series
🤣 Isolated is their best excuse, They are trying to not get people to return them so they don't have to refund people
GingerRenegade
Explorer
Options
Galaxy Note20 Series

@BandOfBrothers good luck man on your journey. I'm loving this phone overall. 

@supremefox94 I noticed a bunch of other jump on the train of complaining its not good out of the box with battery life. Unfortunately the algorithm android has it takes time to settle in and get in a pattern of your normal activities. Never understood why it takes so long but it does. 

Any now to my update post. I just got out of work and I have used my phone quiet a bit during so. As I mentioned before my phone is the snapdragon and has been unplugged since 5:45am. I also have the Galaxy Watch 3 and Galaxy Buds paired and actively used the buds all day. 

I used Hulu on my 30 min lunch break, YouTube for a FlossyCarter video on the real review which was like 55 minutes (kept phone in pocket while listening on my galaxy buds screen was on the entirety of this video I don't have YouTube premium for off screen play). Throughout the rest of my shift I used Spotify to stream my music during work which was playing for 7 hours. Also did some shopping on Amazon during my two 10 min breaks as well. Did a Bluetooth phone call on my way home which is 15 min drive. Oh and 15 mins of pokemon go with adventure sync running in background all day.

At the end of all this and writing my update now I'm at 35% right now.. Not the best but a SIGNIFICANT improvement over the past 5 days. Not sure how much more improvement it will get over the next week but I def will keep this updated throughout the week. I'm gonna be up for the next 6 hours and I typically check Facebook and TikTok for a little bit not to much. But I think it will survive the rest of the night easily without plugging it in for once till bed time. 

Steveal24
Just Browsing
Options
Galaxy Note20 Series

Same here, but as soon as you turn it off you lose a lot of services. 

0 Likes
kradcliffe
Pathfinder
Options
Galaxy Note20 Series

My Google Play usage today is 5.8% which is on the high side. Also 3% MDE Service Framework (something that can't be shut down) and 1.5% MLP (whatever that is)

This device needs some serious optimization.

0 Likes
Steveal24
Just Browsing
Options
Galaxy Note20 Series

22% google play.

0 Likes
BandOfBrothers
Superuser I
Superuser I
Options
Galaxy Note20 Series

Thank you @GingerRenegade 

Samsung Note 20 Ultra.

Uk Exynos 256Gb.

I give my new phone's around 10 or so days to be able to learn my usage and let it adjust and settle in before I even think about how the battery is performing.

Also in that time the battery has been discharged and re charged enough times to get it to optimum output in my unscientific opinion.

Here's my sequence of events I use on my phone's for anyone interested  :smiling-face:

The phone comes with around 30 to 40% out of the box which is meant to be by Samsung to keep the battery at its best during transit and it sitting in a box waiting to be purchased.

This is enough charge to set it up so no need to put it on charge at this stage. I used to put it straight on charge to 100%.

I prefer to use my Samsung Cloud Back up once I've cleared the previous phone of old files, data , apps and then create a clean back up.

Then I use that clean Cloud Back up minus apps to move my stuff across. I'm not keen on Smartswitch.

Then I download my apps from the Playstore- my library.

I disable everything I can to do with Google including Google Chrome and put some apps to sleep and some to deep sleep.

120hz adaptive refresh rate is left On.

Then once I've tweaked some further preferences settings I clear the system cache files and then place it on charge via the wire to begin with and not a desktop wireless charger.

I'm not in favour of turning off features to save battery. 

What I'm seeing from people's screen shots is that Google Play Services is using around 10% of battery which is way too high. It should be around 2% at worst.

This says to me the Google Services and Google apps in the phone are for some reason communicating too much and somewhere the sync settings maybe the culprit along with Google Chrome.

It's not Google Play Services itself using juice.

A Google Search on this explains it much better than I can. :winking-face:

I can't use 5G so if I can turn that off in the phone's connection settings I will.

To conclude I'll charge the phone overnight to 100% and leave it at home to then see what the drain is while it's idle but has mobile data On so notifications and background activity is happening.

Then I'll move onto using it and see what happens.

If the phone gives me a days usage which is what my Note10 + 5G does then I'll be happy.

Sorry for rambling on.  :smiling-face:

🌈 Stay Safe & Stay Alert.  🌈 

Current Phone ~

Samsung Note 20 Ultra 5G SM-N9860_256Gb SnapDragon 865+

Samsung One Ui 3.1/ Android 11.

0 Likes