Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung A5 (2017)

(Topic created on: 01-06-2022 03:08 PM)
Dr1985
First Poster
Options
Does anyone know if you can get anything on from the android 8.0 version? 
I am having trouble with obtaining some apps because of the dated android version and wondered if that was it and I am stuck with android 8.0 with this phone and will not receive any more updates.
0 Likes
11 REPLIES 11
AshP_
Options

Hey @Dr1985, Android 8 is the highest version your A5 can reach, this is due to hardware limitations.

Dr1985
First Poster
Options
Thank you for confirming
0 Likes
antikythera
Black Belt 
Options
Well not exactly hardware limited as you can get Android 11 but will need to follow the instructions here and use an unofficial ROM - https://wiki.lineageos.org/devices/a5y17lte/
0 Likes
Dr1985
First Poster
Options
Yes, I had come across these unofficial ROM's but not really knowing much at all about IT I didn't trust doing such a thing. So is this something that is OK to do and simple? I just remember reading about making sure you are backed up so I started that and was told my storage is now full so cannot do, so gave up
0 Likes
antikythera
Black Belt 
Options
Backup to a PC or USB OTG. It's relatively safe as long as you follow the instructions to the letter. LineageOS are well established and trustworthy. They have been going for decades as it's basically Cyanogenmod continued by some of the same developers and some new contributors. Their ROMs are stock Android with very view customisations with privacy in mind. You would need Opengapps installed too for Google Play Store and services but again the instructions will take you through that. A PC is required anyway to flash the phone. It's up to you if you want to proceed but if you're facing problems with Oreo because apps no longer support it you may as well risk it. Otherwise you'll need a new phone anyway. You really don't need a degree in computer science or in-depth knowledge
0 Likes
StuartR
Troubleshooter
Options
You can brick your phone so unless you know what your doing keep well away from doing this. There is a reason why your stuck on 8, your phone will probably run with issues or extremely slow if you upgrade to 11.

Also if you do Internet banking on your phone I'd touch nothing other than official software, irrespective of how long they have been modding.
0 Likes
antikythera
Black Belt 
Options
No, it's because Samsung had a shorter upgrade program for phones back in 2017 than they do now. The phone can easily run newer Android in a stable manner. LineageOS have very high quality standards that have to be met for their ROMs to be released as official project releases. If the device ROM was faulty it would not be on the release roster still. The phone got one Android upgrade by Samsung from 7 to 8. Only in the last two years have they increased from one to two Android version uogrades per device
0 Likes
StuartR
Troubleshooter
Options
My opinion is my opinion just as you are entitled to yours, you'll never convince me of anything regarding rom's, especially from a security standpoint! That phone with 2gb of ram will run like a dog..
0 Likes
antikythera
Black Belt 
Options
Just as well it has 3GB then. I am not trying to dissuade you, just stating facts that you may not be aware of with regards LineageOS and how it's maintained. It is the strictest opensource project I am aware of even compared to Arch Linux. Your opinion is indeed valid as is mine. The hope is that the OP can form their own choice armed with accurate information, not just oh no don't do that it might break! There's just as much risk updating with Samsung ROMs these days if you believe halfnthe reports on here from disgruntled owners.
0 Likes