Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 12 Mini competitor?

(Topic created on: 22-12-2020 07:59 PM)
KevinMc
Apprentice
Options

Has anyone else noticed how all the A range phones are becoming too similar in size?  My current phone is the A40 and that was a big adjustment from the S5 mini that I had before. When the A40 was was introduced I was pleasantly surprised. Here was powerful enough Dual Sim phone in the UK that was less than 70mm wide which made it easy for one handed texting and while 144mm wasn't ideal for one handed browsing it was just about acceptable. I thought that the A forty series of phones was going to be designed with the one handed user in mind but the A41 crept  up a notch and the A42 is nothing like the dimensions of the A40. The A42 may be as well be A fifty or A seventy range handset since it has more in common with that size of device.

I think the width and height of the S5 mini was great and an updated device that's dual sim and full U Display and similar in size would really be good. Something that's no bigger than 140mm x 65mm x 7mm would be ideal for a one handed user. With Samsung churning out that so many handsets in any given year here's hoping there is Flagship, mid and A range dual sim Samsung competitor to the iphone 12 mini in the near future.

5 REPLIES 5
BandOfBrothers
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

Samsung as well as other mobile phone manufacturers have to keep up with market trend in order to keep selling handsets as well as updating software , and as well as keeping up / ahead of the competition in their sector. 

The very reason why they release large and smaller devices to satisfy the wants and needs of different consumers  :smiling-face:

It's interesting to see how things come full circle.

At one point some phone's got way too small but now with the era of Smartphones and screen size becoming more important to be able to carry out the tasks these mini computers do.

And now some want as you rightly say a One Handed model.

One of the reasons the manufacturers put a One Handed Mode on some smartphones so people can have the best of both worlds.

Apple are very good at reading market trend and usually hit the nail on the head in this aspect @KevinMc 

It'll be interesting to see what 2021 brings to the table.   :smiling-face:

Daily Driver > Samsung Galaxy s²⁴ Ultra 512Gb ~ Titanium Black.

The advice I offer is my own and does not represent Samsung’s position.
I'm here to help. " This is the way. "

KevinMc
Apprentice
Options

Is it possible to move the address bar to the bottom of the screen on the Samsung internet app? Until there is a decent mini. I think the A41 and S20 models that are less than 70mm wide could be OK to use for web browsing if there was a setting to move the address bar to the bottom of the screen just above the tool bar. would make entering urls easier on longer devices.

I guess there are lots of competing priorities for handset designers but with the amount of handsets that are out every year I don't know why they can't have a flagship S Mini and an A series that just upgrades the specs inside but keeps the dimensions small. With the new full U shaped screens it is possible to fit 5" - 5.5" screen into a comfortable one handed model. As long as they don't sacrifice the dual sim that would be the main thing. The A40 proved they can do it all, but they ruined it with the A42.  

0 Likes
Qwerty7
Helping Hand
Options
A40 is closer in size to the reulgular iPhone 12 btw (5.9 inches Vs 6.1) and the 12 mini is only 5.4 (it's closer in size to a iPhone 4s then to an a40)
0 Likes
KevinMc
Apprentice
Options

That's my point. The smallest Samsung I could find was the A40. And they ruined the series with the A42. Now that iPhone have launch a smaller phone it's time for Samsung to do the same. You would think with the amount of phones Samsung releases in a year they would be able to release a powerful mini. 

0 Likes
Qwerty7
Helping Hand
Options
yeah, I agree with you. personally I used to really like small devices in the past and I know how it is when most are much larger. the reason Samsung isn't doing this is because they aren't selling that well, as most people seem to be buying the larger models. take the galaxy s10e -> it didn't sell as well as S10+ which I believe was the best selling S10 model. once again, same with 12 mini. it was the worst selling iPhone model. I think apple already knows that their other phones will sell regardless so they can risk doing something like that and sacrificing sales for a different and unique drvice. Samsung, on the other hand, is already facing backlash for a 1080p display in the s21 (which iPhones also have but nvm), so if on top of that they got worse sales of a smaller 's21e' it woudnt really be great for that model and I guess Samsung would not feel there's much point in it. but I still think they should release a mini, or at least a smaller phone (something shorter then 150mm or even 145mm). the only good 2020 Samsung phone that wasn't super large was the s20, and a41. and even then S20 has a very narrow width which is good but it's taller then an s7 edge so it's not really 'compact' I guess. the only good compact phone I can think of rn that runs on android is the pixel 4a. which is a shame, really
0 Likes