Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Instability, improved UX and a feature not a bug?

(Topic created on: 05-12-2020 07:47 PM)
RexHibernia
Apprentice
Options
I've participated across Al the One UI betas and I must say this is the most unstable. Random reboots, apps responding weirdly eg not being able to play/pause with a remote or mapped side button 60% of the time necessitating unlocking the phone and navigating to the app. 

One hand operation+ is broken. 

YouTube sometimes appears in the new nicely organised mini players in the improved notification shade but often the phone things I'm not using YouTube and defaults to a podcast app used hours earlier. So no quick controls from YouTube and sporadic ability to access play/pause even remotely both issues forcing to unlock the phone and open the app. 

There seems to be a decision, doubtfully a bug to no longer allow users to change filenames from from details in Gallery. This is a terrible call. It is possible but clunky to do it through a file manager but it makes no sense to remove this feature and make it more opaque and unnecessarily involved. 

UX 
Ive found that the swipe up Samsung style nav bar when opening the app switcher no longer feels fluid. A good benchmark is the Google style transition which feels instantly responsive. Subjectively the fluidity to me of the swipe up Samsung method feels like someone has added 125ms of extra delay to the action. I'm on a Note 10+, it feels like a design decision not a hardware limitation, especially as the alternative method is still fluid. If my comments are taken on board. Try and play with a lower actuation delay for the nav button swipe to improve the feeling of fluidity. 

Otherwise it's a nice iterative improvement of the UX over One UI 2. Nicely improved notification shade with well needed organisational features and quality of life improvements like mini players and chat grouping. Improved ergonomics here and there. Particularly nice is the volume bar being located next to the thumb making it easily changed at a whip with one hand on a phablet. 

One thing I was hoping for but hasn't materialised is a faster access to Devices. It feels like too many interactions to jump into navigate to the device and media switchers. I often switch between multiple Bluetooth devices. So ultimately there are too many touch points to get to where you need to go without it being annoying. 

Hope this helps. 

0 Likes
4 REPLIES 4
SirStottalot
Pathfinder
Options
It is a BETA version. Whole reason for to encounter problems.
On the downside you have to deal with those problems.
On the upside you help in contributing on inform of the problems to finally get a stable version.
From me its a thank you.
TomaszT
Beta Moderator
Beta Moderator
Options

Hey @RexHibernia 

Thank you for sharing your opinion regarding the Beta software. It's very informative and will be helpful for sure! 

If you haven't already, then please make sure you report each of those problems separately via the Samsung Members app.

Also, since you experience a lot of random crashes/reboots, it might help to wipe cache partition. Some of the suggestions you have proposed have already been sent to our development team and I will make sure to send them the rest 😊

RexHibernia
Apprentice
Options
I understand this :smiling-face: I'm a software developer by trade incidentally so I like to give detailed feedback on the issues. Thanks for your comment
0 Likes
RexHibernia
Apprentice
Options
Good advice thanks. Happy to hear it's getting fed up the pipeline. I will look into what you have suggested.
0 Likes