Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSD 980

(Topic created on: 06-12-2021 08:21 AM)
Ao11
Apprentice
Options

Hi,

I just got the SSD 980 and installed it as an OS drive with no problems. I installed the Samsung Magician and it flagged up the following:

• FW needs updating (current version is FX07) yet an update option is not available
  • There is a compatibility issue with Intel storage drivers, yet as far as I can determine there are no Samsung drivers available. (Under the device manager is states MS drivers are installed on the drive, but I do have Raid 1 on SATA drives)

Should I just ignore  the Samsung Magician and uninstall it?

Thanks. 

0 Likes
5 REPLIES 5
ElfStone
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

Hey there,

You should upgrade to the latest firmware. Have a look here: https://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/download/tools/

You can find drivers and tools for your SSD, including the latest firmware version.

0 Likes
Ao11
Apprentice
Options

Thanks for the reply. The link you gave me has a FW update for the 980 Pro version, but not the 980, which is what I own. I'm assuming the FW is for the 980 Pro only (?) 

Same thing for the Samsung NVMe driver, it states 980 Pro (?)

0 Likes
ElfStone
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

Mmmm, seems you are right. The driver for the simple SSD is missing from there. Not sure why and I can't seem to find anything online about it.

You could try to reach support and ask them if they can provide you a link or the firmware itself.

0 Likes
Ao11
Apprentice
Options

OK thanks. I looked at the NVMe driver and it doesn't actually support even the 980 Pro. 

This driver supports Samsung NVMe™ SSD 970 PRO, 970 EVO, 970 EVO Plus, 960 PRO, 960 EVO and 950 PRO

Do Samsung read the forum and post? 

antikythera
Black Belt 
Options
The latest build of Magician flagged a firmware update for my Evo 970 last week that also doesn't exist as later on after a system restart it said I was running the latest firmware. You don't need the Samsung controller driver, just make sure you have the latest installed from Windows Update for your motherboard. That may be the Microsoft generic one if not AMD or Intel depending on your system components
0 Likes