Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung R580 Laptop Express card slot

(Topic created on: 24-04-2021 11:25 AM)
gm3suz
First Poster
Options

I have a Samsung R580 and thought I would add some extra usb3 connections using the express card slot. I bought a suitable card that plugs into the R580 express card slot but I just cannot open it ? According to the manual you just press on the end of the express card and it it just pops out but no amount of pressing will get the card out. I thought I might be able to lever it out but it seems so well attached I am wondering if it is a dummy, just to cover the slot and there is no express card facility on this laptop. Has anyone else had this problem and how did they get over it.  Thanks for any info, gm3suz

0 Likes
3 REPLIES 3
antikythera
Black Belt 
Options
It may well be a cover for a missing express card port. They do normally have dummy cards to stop dust getting in that just spring out when pressed. You shouldn't need excessive force to eject those
0 Likes
gm3suz
First Poster
Options

Dear Overseer, thanks for your help. I eventually pushed the slot cover with sufficient force that it dropped inside the case of the R580 and it revealed that there did not seem to be a socket inside to handle any express cards ???? It's going to be a pain trying to put the dust cover back into place because I think it was pressed into position from the inside when the laptop was being assembled. I was going to use this slot to accommodate an adapter with 2 USB3 sockets, I have already installed a 1Tb Solid State Drive to replace the HDD. Have a nice Covid Free Day, Dan gm3suz

0 Likes
antikythera
Black Belt 
Options
Unfortunate and yes it will be a pain to put back as it involves half tearing the laptop chassis down to do so. Samsung must have used a common chassis. Like I said, if it had been a dummy card you would have been able to get it out. The SSD was a wise investment, enjoy the speed boost
0 Likes