Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung CRG9 monitor, ps4 says "HDR not supported"

(Topic created on: 05-10-2019 10:58 PM)
Sipu
Apprentice
Options

I've plugged in my PS4 to my 49" CRG9 monitor using the HDMI cable supplied with the screen. My screen runs at HDMI 2.0 setting. I'm able to enable "deep color" in PS4, but the PS4 says HDR not supported for my monitor.

I cannot figure out how to get my PS4 to recognize that CRG9 supports HDR signal.

0 Likes
7 REPLIES 7
SaudA
Troubleshooter
Options
Hi @Sipu

Can you try this: Settings > Systems > Local Dimming > This should be set to Auto. If it isn't, can you set it to Auto/On and see if this helps?
0 Likes
Sipu
Apprentice
Options

Thanks, I figured out what the problem is:

PS4 classic (launch version) doesn't support HDMI 2.0 and fails to sync with HDMI 2.0 turned on. The menu on the PS4 classic should just hide the HDR option altogether.   When hooked up to a PS4 Pro i can activate HDR and deep color properly and get a proper signal.

Now the only real issue is that actual HDR content looks fairly terrible on this display both on PC and the PS4, the dark contrast is poor (this display doesn't have that impressive blacks to begin with when the backlight is enabled) and the blacks turn gray.  SDR picture on the other hand looks phenomenal, bright and colorful and the contrast is galaxies apart better. It's as if HDR and SDR are somehow reversed. There have been similar reports elsewhere, i'm not sure if it's a firmware issue in the display or something else.

0 Likes
Sipu
Apprentice
Options

Did a bit of googling, apparently the launch PS4 should also have HDR support (over HDMI 1.4), but I suppose this display doesn't do that.

0 Likes
Moonwalker2100
First Poster
Options

Hi there

I'm thinking about getting this monitor mainly for PS4 PRO gaming and also work on pc/mac.

Maybe later this year investing in a gaming desktop. What do you think? I hear a lot of noise from people that it PS4 does not support 1440p and this ratio but is it that terrible?

Thanks

0 Likes
Sipu
Apprentice
Options

You can adjust the aspect ratio of your image from the screen and set it to 16:9, then you can save it as a preset to one of the 3 available memory banks. That gives you black bars on the sides, but that's normal for anything not running 32:9 natively.

StyllSuji
First Poster
Options

When you adjust the aspect ratio, say to 16:9, will FreeSync and HDR still work?

Thanks

0 Likes
Sipu
Apprentice
Options
When Freesync is enabled the screen size adjustment is not available. HDR works across all modes. TBH there's not a lot of game content where HDR looks great on this screen. You need a lot of software tweaks to get the image right in HDR and few games have enough controls to get the image adjusted to what it should be. I almost never use the HDR mode, the image looks pretty washed out with it. The "normal" non-HDR signal looks phenomenal though and bright objects (like the sun or burning fire) really blow you away. It's as if normal and HDR are flipped around. *shrug*
0 Likes