Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues with the Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo and What I’ve tried to solve it!

(Topic created on: 06-05-2023 12:15 AM)
Xsaber125
Student
Options

I’ll be detailing it in a format that is easy to read and provides a Stable setting baseline. Hopefully will help others struggling with the same issues!

Samsung G9 Neo LS49AG950NEXXY

-Model code: LS49AG952NnXZA

Software version: M-A9549GGPA-1011.0

Ensure that Windows 10 or 11 and all of its drivers are up to date! Using CCleaner, Steam Driver updater, and Intel driver updater seems to get everything important updated.

* Factory reset the monitor

* Use a Vesa Certified 8k DisplayPort 2.1 Cable for the best results and to improve performance even though the cable is kind of overkill.

- This is the Cable that I use:

1. https://a.co/d/fQJ5qPd

* Use DDU: https://www.wagnardsoft.com/display-driver-uninstaller-ddu- To uninstall all the drivers for your GPU and the monitor so that you can do a fresh install of them.

- After that, use GeForce Experience to download the newest gpu driver. Also, download Nvidia DisplayPort updaters from here:

1. https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/drivers/nv-uefi-update-x64/

1. https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5411/?=&linkId=100000163736896

* Go in and fine-tune all Nvidia Control Center 3D settings. Making sure to turn off Vsync and enable Gsync.

“I'll be including my settings down below.”

* Next, adjust the desktop color settings/resolution pages using this tool:

1. www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/clock_phase.php

- It will help get rid of scan lines! I would suggest utilizing some of the other calibration tools on the site once you finish everything here.

* The last main thing will be calibrating your monitor settings directly!

- You will want to use the scan-line calibration tool as much as possible with this particular monitor, as it can be hard to tune.

1. I will be providing all of my settings for this below as well!

Now if you are adventurous, one last thing you can try is using Nvflash to flash your gpu vbios.

“During some of my research, while trying to figure out the boot loop issue, I found a post saying that this could potentially fix the boot loop as well as some of the other issues present and improves stability if done correctly.”

-     Link for Nvflash:

1. https://www.techpowerup.com/download/nvidia-nvflash/?amp

* “This can be potentially dangerous by bricking your gpu bios if done incorrectly… so research it extensively before attempting.

- The video I used to update my Msi 4090 gaming x trios silent dual bios setting to the Suprim Liquid x vbios:

1.  https://youtu.be/4xsEvdIrNGc

2. https://myminingrig.com/how-to-flash-a-gpu-bios-with-nvflash/

“FYI, I'm using watercooling, so if you run air-cooled, it might be safer to boot to a newer version of your GPU’s Vbios!

————————————————————————————————————————

For Nvidias control panel settings, this is what I was able to tune the monitor to:

Sidenote: I will skip listing settings that don't affect the monitor's calibration!

* Change Resolution Tab:

- Under Pc :

1. 5120x1440

2. Refresh rate 240

* Adjust desktop color settings

- Change colors: all channels

1. Brightness:60%

2. Contrast:67%

3. Gamma:1.00

4. Digital vibrance:92%

5. Hue:18%

* Set up G-Sync

- Enable G-Sync, G-Sync Compatible

1. Enable for windowed and full-screen mode.

* Under Nvidia Color settings :

1. Desktop color depth: 32-bit

2. Output color depth: 10bpc

3. Output color format: RGB

4. Output Dynamic Range: Full

Monitor Settings that worked and were stable/tuned with the scan-line utilities/a few other ones on the site:

* Under Game:

- Refresh rate: 240

- Response time: Extreme

- Adaptive-Sync: Off

- Low input lag: On

- Black Equalizer: 14

- Virtual Aim point: Off

- Infinity Core lighting: Rainbow

1.     “idk what this setting does…”

- Screen size: Wide

* Picture Mode: Custom

- Brightness: 100

- Contrast: 100

- Sharpness: 100

- Eye saver mode: Off

- Color: custom

“Oddly enough, having red, green, and blue at 100 had similar results on the scanlines, but 50 was slightly more stable.”

1. Red: 50

2. Green: 50

3. Blue: 50

4. Gamma: Mode-1

5. Saturation: 50

PIP/PBP: off

* System

- Local Dimming: Off

- Dynamic Brightness: Off

- DisplayPort Version: 1.4

- Auto-Source Switch+

Sadly even with everything I’ve detailed above, it hasn’t fixed the two major issues for me, but here are my workarounds till they are fixed:

1. Boot loop when the monitor is running at 240Mhz during boot.

* Fix:

- Turn the monitor off until the pc gets to the lock screen, then turn it back on!

1. Intermittent black screen:

* Solution:

- Press in this order: 1. Control 2. Shift 3. Windows Key 4. B

“Not entirely sure what is causing this particular issue. However, what this does is refreshes the display driver. If the issue is the monitor, it will fix the black screen issue!”

I hope that at least one of these solutions helps or is a stepping stone to hopefully figuring out how to solve the issues.

If the issues can be solved without Samsung taking their time to release an update for the display firmware. That probably won't fix the problem, and it has no documentation on what was changed or fixed…

If anyone knows of or has a solution that isn’t mentioned in the section below or something that has worked for you, please enlighten us🙃!

Now a message for Samsung or their representatives so that this issue can be solved in a more timely fashion!

[G9 Neo/G9/G7 and all their various models run at  240hrz have boot loop and black screen issues. Very well documented in the community with no real solutions that have worked for more than a small subsection of the community!

Both of these issues mentioned above are problems for a vast majority of users attempting to run Their monitors at the promised settings.

these aren't just tech issues, they are overall an issue with ignoring the problem.

I provide Practically every possible solution that I've scoured on the internet and found myself. That someone could utilize to potentially fix the problem while still operating their monitor with the Advertised settings.

On top of that, this particular set of issues isn’t just the G9 Neo suffering from it, but every single model of the Neo, as well as the original G9 that was recalled due to similar issues. There are numerous reports online of people having similar issues with the G7 and its variants.

As far as I'm aware, based on the many hours of research and troubleshooting I've put in to hopefully trying to solve both of these issues, I haven't seen Samsung address it on any of the Reddit threads or any other sites, including Samsungs own Forums officially making any statement on fixing the boot loop issues when running at 240 hrtz as advertised. Or any solutions for it in the multiple years since all of these monitors have been On the market.

In regards to the black screen issue. The only statement I’ve seen from Samsung is to factory reset the Monitors in question, which in all reality, is a bandaid fix and doesn’t solve the problem in most of the cases where users have attempted it. All that the factory reset does for most users is change the monitor refresh rate back down to a frequency that the monitor is stable on.

Now another thing about this post that I'm hoping will not only help me and other users potentially solve some significant problems that are well known with all of the monitors I've mentioned. But I'm also hoping I've missed a possible solution in my list of potential fixes that haven't worked for me. That someone in the community, as well as Reddit as a whole, can provide insight on what they did that has solved the issue for them!

Lastly, I'm hoping this post adds a sort of lit match under Samsung to solve a problem with their monitors. Whether that is a firmware update that discloses changes in the firmware and fixes made, or provides a solution to the community as a whole that actually fixes the issue rather than putting a bandaid on it and calling it a day.

Personally, I have enjoyed using Samsung products over the years, and I really have benefited from using them. However, I, as well as the community as a whole, can confidently say the boot loop issues and overall instability on 240 hrtz refresh rate is quite an unacceptable problem. For as long as they have been a known Complication with using these monitor! Especially considering the cost of these monitors, and that they have been marketed as compatible with the settings in question and the majority of the solutions I've mentioned in the post!

I genuinely would love to see both of these problems solved. Not only do I personally find having to alter what I'm doing to avoid these problems incredibly annoying. I can vouch that everyone else that is experiencing these issues will wholeheartedly agree with everything I have stated.

1 REPLY 1
PntBlnk
First Poster
Options

I also own one of these lemons. Returned the first after it wouldn't even pass the self-test. Lived with the replacement, despite random glitches, momentary blanking, and crashes where the screen goes dark and I need to either soft-restart by depressing the power button, or if that fails, turning it off and on at the power point! This is a daily occurrence! Why not just return? Well fear that I'd just get another faulty monitor, but more so because packing it up and transporting it to Samsung is just terrifying. Then there's the fact that while Samsung "investigates" the faults for an indeterminate time, I'll be without a monitor! They should have reached out to all customers, irrespective of whether they've had problems, and offered free replacements, delivered to your door. The most expensive display I have ever bought and it turns out to be completely unreliable.

Thanks for the cable tip. I've ordered one. This will be my fourth attempt to fix the issue with a newer, better DisplayPort cable. Unbelievable that the one included is not fit for purpose!

I'm a Linux user, so not all your tips are applicable, but thank you for taking the time to give other owners the kind of support that Samsung has thus far completely failed to provide!

0 Likes