This post relates to the Samsung Galaxy Book Pro 360 13 inch Laptops. Boot times - i5 11th gen 6-7 seconds, i7 12th gen 12 seconds.
I have four Samsung Laptops, this post refers to fine tuning/improving performance and battery life on the Galaxy book Pro 360 i5 and Pro2 360 i7 12th Gen Evo. Windows 11 Pro. Both 13 inch machines.
First of all a summary. In my opinion the Galaxy book pro 360 13 inch machines are better or equal to other top end machines such Dell XPS, HP, Asus, etc. The Samsung machines are well built, aluminium, very thin at around 11.5mm, very light and the 360s have fully laminated thin bezel screens. After fine tuning I can see 34 hours battery at idle and 16 to 18 hours of email, office, internet use.
I have listed below adjustment made to my machines -
1. I have removed almost all of the Samsung apps except Samsung system (Fan speeds useful) and Samsung updates.
2. I have removed all other non wanted apps like Games, Disney, MS news, McAfee, Tips, One drive, Xbox, etc, etc. You will see the app list go from around 96 apps to 40.
3. Small icons in task bar via registry tweak. and moved to the left.
4. Disable background running apps in Win 11.
5. Screen brightness to about 60%.
6. In Edge settings, (Right hand side then left hand system settings) stop acceleration, tick boxes for close down apps after x seconds, apply energy savings. Plus in Group policy - stop Edge starting at Windows logon.
7. In setting, colours, etc untick visualisation.
8. In advanced settings, untick most boxes to improve speed. (ie untick sliding combo boxes, fading, etc)
9. Untick any items that start at Windows logon, I just leave Defender notification).
10. Remove any remaining apps not wanted like Xbox with Group edit runs.
11. Clear any temp files via %temp% Then restart.
12. Stop Windows Widgets running via settings and Reg Edit. Typicall 7 widget can be seen running in the background in services.
13. Stop Windows search, sys main pre-fetch, connected user telemetry (messages back to MS) etc in services.
These are settings that suit my usage, I cannot accept any responsibility if the above fine tuning does not suit your needs.
The Samsung Galaxy Book Pro 2 360 13 inch machines are hard to beat in terms of overall performance.
Samsung Galaxy Book Pro 360 2 - i7 Settings and Adjustments
Solitaire, Adobe Creative Cloud express, Spotify, Disney, X Box, Instagram, Facebook, TikTok, MS Office 365, Prime video.
McAfee live safe, MS 365 office, Microsoft One drive, Microsoft One Note, Samsung Smart Switch.
Amazon, Bixby, Clip studio, Feedback hub, Galaxy Booksmart switch, Groove Music, Live Message, MS News, MS Weather, MS Power BI, MS to do, Note Shelf, Private Share, Tips, Weather.
Film and TV, Mail and Calendar, Messenger, Notepad, Paint, Samsung quick search, Samsung Notes, Sticky Notes, X Box live.
Adjustments that were made in Windows 11 Pro -
Plus, in settings, then left settings set close to minimum 30 seconds. Set to fade and max efficiency.
Enter sfc /scannow (note the space between "sfc" and "/").
Type %temp% and press enter, remove contents of file.
Changes in Admin and Services in Samsung Galaxy Book Pro 2 360 13 inch Windows 11.
Services disabled are Windows Search, Sys Main prefetch, Connected user experience and telemetry, Windows push notification service, Certificate Prop, Maxim Audio, Smart card x 2 services, Galaxy book experience, Dolby Dax API.
Plus removed - Samsung PC Cleaner, Dolby Access removed because mainly for games, PC Update, Bluetooth Sync removed because it uses the cloud (via a Samsung accounts) Studio Mode, Online support, plus IP helper and Intel Dynamic Application host loader (Allows you to run small portions of Java) and Samsung recovery removed (Use Windows recovery instead).
Attempts to stop high CPU usage – Service Host Systems, plug a leak in virtual memory.
Reg edit, Hey Key Local Machine, System folder, control set, services, NDU, start to modify, change value from 2 to 4.
Registry Adjustments in Windows 11.
Action taken to stop Microsoft getting optional info.
The .reg files below make changes to the DWORD value in the registry key below.
0 = Security (Enterprise and Education editions only, 1 = Basic, 2 = Enhanced
3 = Full (Recommended). Changed to 0 (Allow and max both set to 0)
To disable Widgets in Win 11, but did not work. HKeyCurrent user/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Explorer/Advanced/ TaskDa Changed to 0 = disabled.
Widgets still start when Edge is opened, typically 7 off start up.
To disable Push Notifications.
HKeyCurrentUser/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/PushNotification/New Dword/32 bit/
Notes re disabling notification Go to ------
Win + R group Policy editor
User Configuration > Administrative Templates > Start Menu and Taskbar > Notifications
To remove Xbox Game bar app use Powershell in Admin setting then put in
Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers Microsoft.XboxGamingOverlay | Remove-AppxPackage
Then restart because edge might not work until restarted.
How to remove “Your Phone app in Win 11.
In Powershell Admin put in below and restart.
Get-AppxPackage “*YourPhone*” | Remove-AppxPackage
To completely remove Widgets, put the following into PowerShell and agree Y = Yes press enter.
widget uninstall "windows web experience pack"
R C Barker June 2022