Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bug or Error on 870 QVO SSD 1 TB Cannot be Detected on Ubuntu 20.04 When Rebooting

(Topic created on: 03-11-2021 02:32 AM)
ghostman99
Journeyman
Options

I have a dual boot system (Windows 10 alongside Ubuntu 20.04 LTS).

At the beginning, I had the same problem with Windows 10 where if I reboot the machine, the SSD won't be detected unless I shut down and turn on the PC. However, after doing a fix suggested to set the driver on Windows 10 to use Standard AHCI, the issue was solved on Windows 10.

Now facing the same problem but on my second OS that is Ubuntu 20.04. If I reboot the machine via Ubuntu, the SSD again won't be detected unless I shut down and turn on the PC again. 

I spent several days trying to figure out why this happens on Ubuntu, reinstalled the OS, fixed the boot loader and verified that Ubuntu's boot is working properly in conjuction with Windows 10. I tried also a fix after that on Ubuntu that was meant for nvme based SSDs (obviously it didn't work since 870 QVO is not nvme based). 

Just for reference, I'll post here the link for the fix made for the nvme based SSDs: https://askubuntu.com/questions/972200/bios-does-not-detect-ssd-after-reboot-from-ubuntu-16-04-dell-...

I couldn't find anywhere on the web a case where a person had the exact same problem with the exact same SSD model and type that I have. I have already reported a bug to Ubuntu on this but thought of also posting about the same here in the hope that someone from Samsung will actually see this and hopefully make a fix for this problem for Ubuntu.

If anyone has an idea why the SSD cannot be detected when rebooting Ubuntu in specific, I would be very happy. As mentioned above, the same problem took place on Windows 10 but it was fixed by switching to standard AHCI driver settings.

P.S. I have updated both BIOS and SSD's firmware already but the same results with Ubuntu at least. My Ubuntu's configurations are also set to AHCI mode.

0 Likes
12 REPLIES 12
Dekker500
First Poster
Options

I've had this Samsung SSD for a while now and it truly is frustrating. Other SATA SSDs don't give me this problem, which is why I think Samsung's drives are the ones misbehaving. Extremely frustrating that warm boots/reboots cause the drive to become invisible to the UEFI/BIOS!!!

0 Likes
ghostman99
Journeyman
Options

Yes, Samsung need to work a bit more on compatibility and improve their firmware to handle all of those problems. I think they are relatively new in the SSD field but maybe they'll improve over time.

Btw, if you still wish to proceed with dual boot Windows/Ubuntu, just make sure never to reboot when you're on Ubuntu; but it's ok to reboot if you're on Windows assuming you have followed the fix I suggested to change drive in Windows to Standard AHCI mode in Windows 10.

0 Likes
Members_zUUbS08
First Poster
Options

Raspberry Pi 4B+/8GB, Ubuntu 22.04 with 174c:1153 ASMedia Technology Inc. ASM1153 SATA 3Gb/s bridge connecting the 870 QVO 1TB: works without any flaws right out of the box at one of the USB3 port. Boots absolutely fine. Make sure to have a juicy power supply though, maybe use with a separately powered USB hub that can supply enough power of its own at the port where the 870 QVO is hooked up to. I'm at the moment using the offical 3A power USB-C supply.

0 Likes