Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speech distorted HW-Q90R

(Topic created on: 11-05-2020 08:08 PM)
Welsh_chap
Apprentice
Options

Hi. Last month I purchased HW-Q90R 7.1.4 surround system directly from Samsung. It is connected to Sky Q and a 4k OLED TV.
The sound bar is connect to the tv via ARC (high-speed hdmi cable). Sky Q is connected to the soundbar.
When Sky Q audio is switched to Dolby Digital or Dobly Digital Plus, centre channel speech is distorted/muffled. Selecting normal and it's ok.
Has anyone experienced this? Is there a fix?

I'd add that it doesn't happen everytime I switch the system on. I've had the soundbar about three weeks and its happened 3 or 4 times.
Many thanks.

15 REPLIES 15
MD_
Journeyman
Options

If it helps I did mine via USB. My model of soundbar is not compatible with the smartthings mobile app.

I seem to recall that I had to format the USB stick as FAT32 (rather than NTFS) ? but that's testing my memory as it was 8 months ago now... I think I just put the .BIN file in the root folder of the USB drive and there was nothing else on it

0 Likes
Roly69
First Poster
Options

Thanks for the suggestions. For me, the USB Memory stick I was using was formatted as the latest format exFAT which should work. 

Also had .bin file in root folder. Any other suggestions/tricks once it is plugged into the Samsung Sound Bar?

0 Likes
Roly69
First Poster
Options

I just tried every USB format and none worked. Message on soundbar display was NOT SUPPORT.

I then used a different USB memory stick, formatted it as NTSF and Bingo! The bin file installed and Soundbar rebooted successfully. 

I was only able to update one of the 2 .bin files. The other one did nothing. Possible the 1st was the latest and includes part of the other..... anyhow.....tested Disney channel and speech distortion is still exactly the same.

USB was 

0 Likes
SamsSong
First Poster
Options
Nope. Mine is fully updated but still same sound problem.
This is scandalous!
How can samsung put out a piece of kit that doesn't work?
Don't they test it at all?
I guess I can only go through the channels and see what samsung themselves advise...
(Switching to a professional audio company not withstanding)
0 Likes
Roly69
First Poster
Options

Still no solution offered by Samsung.

it is definitely the Center speaker which is distorted when playing back Dolby AtMoS connected movies etc via Dysney Plus in particular. My 10 year old Pioneer Receiver that I replaced had no such issues. 
Dissapointing Samsung product

0 Likes
Ruhamah
Journeyman
Options
Where you able to resolve this problem.... I have same issues with Disney plus 😭
0 Likes