Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't change ringtone

(Topic created on: 08-05-2017 06:16 PM)
BrandyAlexander
First Poster
Options

When I go to set an alarm or ringtone on my J3 I can only choose from my Google Drive, and even then these won't work and it goes to the default tone. What can I do to change this so I can use downloaded music or Google Drive files? 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Bades1978
Troubleshooter
Options

Hi @BrandyAlexander,

To set you need to do this

Ringtones and Sounds

Choose a ringtone for incoming calls.

1. From home, tap Apps apps list icon > Settings settings icon> Sounds and notifications sound settings icon.

screenshot of sounds and notifications settings optionarrow iconscreenshot of sounds and notifications settings
  2. Tap Ringtones and sounds for options:

screenshot of ringtones and sounds settings
  • Ringtone: Select a default ringtone.
  • Default notification sound: Choose a default sound for notifications.
  • Messages notifications: Tones play and/or the phone vibrates when new messages arrives.
  • Calendar notifications: Tones play and/or the phone vibrates to remind you of events.
  • Email notifications: Tones play and/or the phone vibrates when new emails arrive.
  • Touch sounds: Tones play when you tap the screen to make selections.
  • Dialing keypad tone: Tones play when you tap keys on the phone keypad.
  • Screen lock sounds: Tones play when you tap the screen to lock or unlock it.
  • Emergency tone: Select alert type for emergency notifications.
  • Keyboard sound: Tones play when you tap the keyboard.

Add a Ringtone

When you select a ringtone, either from the settings menu or from Contacts, you can add a custom ringtone.

1. From the Ringtones and sounds menu, tap Ringtone.

screenshot of ringtone list
  2. Scroll to the bottom of the list and tap Add ringtone contacts add field icon.
  3. Select a source (OneDrive/Google drive or Sound picker) for the ringtone.
  1. Tap a song to hear a preview, and then tap Done to save it as a ringtone.
  • The new ringtone is saved to the list and will be available to be assigned as a default ringtone or as a ringtone for individual contacts, groups, and more.

IF YOU CAN NOT DO THIS you will have to reset the default for the sound location (shown bellow)

Go to Settings > Apps > All Apps > and click the top right corner one with three dots..

Click it  > Reset Preferences  Apps  >  and a window will appear .

Click > Reset Apps 

Now when you go to set the alarm it will start like I said at the top of the post (make sure to click sound picker)

View solution in context

67 REPLIES 67
Solution
Bades1978
Troubleshooter
Options

Hi @BrandyAlexander,

To set you need to do this

Ringtones and Sounds

Choose a ringtone for incoming calls.

1. From home, tap Apps apps list icon > Settings settings icon> Sounds and notifications sound settings icon.

screenshot of sounds and notifications settings optionarrow iconscreenshot of sounds and notifications settings
  2. Tap Ringtones and sounds for options:

screenshot of ringtones and sounds settings
  • Ringtone: Select a default ringtone.
  • Default notification sound: Choose a default sound for notifications.
  • Messages notifications: Tones play and/or the phone vibrates when new messages arrives.
  • Calendar notifications: Tones play and/or the phone vibrates to remind you of events.
  • Email notifications: Tones play and/or the phone vibrates when new emails arrive.
  • Touch sounds: Tones play when you tap the screen to make selections.
  • Dialing keypad tone: Tones play when you tap keys on the phone keypad.
  • Screen lock sounds: Tones play when you tap the screen to lock or unlock it.
  • Emergency tone: Select alert type for emergency notifications.
  • Keyboard sound: Tones play when you tap the keyboard.

Add a Ringtone

When you select a ringtone, either from the settings menu or from Contacts, you can add a custom ringtone.

1. From the Ringtones and sounds menu, tap Ringtone.

screenshot of ringtone list
  2. Scroll to the bottom of the list and tap Add ringtone contacts add field icon.
  3. Select a source (OneDrive/Google drive or Sound picker) for the ringtone.
  1. Tap a song to hear a preview, and then tap Done to save it as a ringtone.
  • The new ringtone is saved to the list and will be available to be assigned as a default ringtone or as a ringtone for individual contacts, groups, and more.

IF YOU CAN NOT DO THIS you will have to reset the default for the sound location (shown bellow)

Go to Settings > Apps > All Apps > and click the top right corner one with three dots..

Click it  > Reset Preferences  Apps  >  and a window will appear .

Click > Reset Apps 

Now when you go to set the alarm it will start like I said at the top of the post (make sure to click sound picker)

Samsung_E7Ed
First Poster
Options

no. it does not work. there is no info althought in did add Mdeia file on both SD card and phone.1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg

Sara42
First Poster
Options

Thats great, BUT how do I download the song I want to sound picker?

diliptripathi12
First Poster
Options

While changing ringtone (mp3 stored in phone) by mistake I selected "one drive".

In which login etc asked and I did.

I am not able to come back for selection of " Sound picker" as suggested.

Request your help regarding to come back to ringtone setting by selection of SOUND PICKER option.

Schlm3
Apprentice
Options

Can't change either.

Had my own ringtones (mp3) for the last couple of years. Suddenly, some weeks ago, they stopped working. I guess it was after an update of the underlying android version (currently running 7.0, Galaxy S6).
When I try to select a ringtone with the sound picker, I just get an empty list. Sound Picker does not show any sound file of my device. But I have several on it.

Also, "Samsung Music" does not show any sound file. I have even copied the ringtone mp3 files to the folder "SamsungMusic", but without success.
When I look at my internal memory using the file manager, I can see the sound files (in folder "music") as well as the ringtones (in folder "ringtones" and in folder "Music/Ringtones". When I click on them in the filemanager, they play (using "google play music"). So the sound files are ok.
I have already tried with resetting the preferences app, but also no success.
Any Idea what's going on?

cinderella
First Poster
Options

HI

I CANT SET UP INDIVIDUAL RINGTONES USING ZEDGE AS I HAVE NO DEFAULT SETUP. IVE TRIED MANY WAYS TO ADD A DEFAULT AND NOTHING I DO WILL LET ME. HELP ME PLEASE.

THANKS,

CINDY

0 Likes
cinderella
First Poster
Options

THAT PART I CAN DO BUT WHEN I GO TO A SINGLE CONTACT IT WONT LET ME USE INDIVIDUAL ZEDGE RINGTONES 

0 Likes
Isothio
Student
Options

Hi

I made the same mistake by choosing file manager to manage ringtones by mistake.  If you delete the file manager App you can then get access to the default ringtones - stupid I know - but it worked!

Lana350
First Poster
Options

I can not change my default ringtone from zedge to the one I want it keeos going back to the default one

0 Likes