Support

Open search

Blueborne

First Poster

You're welcome. Of course, you need to take the time to assert the ROM you're downloading is 

1) really made for your device (this might be tricky)

2) is an open source one well distributed and well known (because it will then have a higher chance of having been well reviewed)

That said, take your time, because even if it's been made easier along the years, installing a custom ROM still requires you to dig a bit into the tutorials, if you don't want to brick your device

First Poster

@Varkhan wrote:

You're welcome. Of course, you need to take the time to assert the ROM you're downloading is 

1) really made for your device (this might be tricky)

2) is an open source one well distributed and well known (because it will then have a higher chance of having been well reviewed)

That said, take your time, because even if it's been made easier along the years, installing a custom ROM still requires you to dig a bit into the tutorials, if you don't want to brick your device

I did some investigation before regarding custom rom before giving away my Galaxy S6 and wasn't impressed. My conclusions was:

* Most custom roms depend on the manufacturer releases and then customize them. i.e. most custom roms aren't being updated if the manufacturer aren't updating.

* There are two components in an update; 1. Manufacturer device drivers, 2. Android fixes. You will most likely only get [2] if your custom rom is being updated after manufacturer stopped releasing updates. i.e. you can still have serious vulnerabilities.

* Most custom roms have a really bad auto updating feature and you may have to flash your phone every time a new release is available.

* Most custom roms are rarely updated :-) 

First Poster

Thank you both for the info, much appreciated.

AntS Moderator

Hi all.

Officially, I have to advise that it's best to wait for official security patches/updates to get to you.

But we're all grown-ups here, so I'm not going to delete anything or wag my fingers at anyone. Echoing the advice given here already, I do urge taking caution and care if you are insistent on doing something "unorthodox" with your device though. Also, for those peeps whose phones etc. are still within warranty, you should be aware that customising the firmware invalidates the warranty.

Carry on, folks.

Prince_Community_Sig03.jpg

Say "Hello!" to the Community in The Introduce Yourself Thread.

First Poster

Then RELEASE an official patch!!

Samsung has committed to doing regular security patches for their S devices. That is a requirement for all devices we use at work. The S8 and Note 8 has had 2 updates since this August update. They are getting updates quarterly. We're at the 6 month mark with no update in sight!

We are forced to de-certify these devices for a work environment as a result.

Too bad Samsung doesn't take these overpriced tablets seriously...

Highlighted
Navigator

Erm, what region are you living in? Even the S7 in Germany (which is always one of the last regions to be patched) got updates of December and January 1st, respectively, each in the middle of the month. Blueborne was fixed with the October patch (which we also got) as I recall.

If I remember right, we got August, October, December and now January security patches, but at least the first two with a six week's delay. However, for example in the Netherlands they got each patch two weeks after Samsung released it, so it cannot be a matter of Samsung not being able. They simply are not willing to.

The 2017 A3 of my wife still is on August, though, so Blueborne, KRACK, Meltdown and Spectre all totally unpatched.

Apprentice

In the UK, have had December update now but no further security updates.

First Poster

I'm in Canada. All our phones have received updates but the Tab S3 hasn't had an update since August.

Apprentice

I got an S2 TAB and that is still on August security patch.

Apprentice

Same in UK with tab2.

Top Liked Authors