Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to keep Android 8.0 or are you forced to upgrade to Android 9.0?

(Topic created on: 19-05-2019 06:21 PM)
Paultech
Journeyman
Options

Seeing how Android Pie has been destroying phones since it came out, I would like to know if it is possible to keep Android Oreo  on your Samsung S9+ if you buy one, considering it comes with Oreo by default.

Do you get to keep the factory Android version if you want or do they force Pie on you sooner or later?

0 Likes
4 REPLIES 4
BandOfBrothers
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

The phone will keep alerting you to the fact that an update is ready.

A.person can turn Off the auto update over wifi but I have come across people who say their phone then after a time self updated.

I'm using the Samsung One Ui  / Pie on my Samsung Note 9 and it's certainly not destroyed it @Paultech 

People don't like the icons but these can be changed via an icon pack.

People are unhappy that their current theme isn't fully compatible but that's not Samsungs fault. The developer needs to update the theme.

Goodlock app brings back certain things removed by the update such as a stacked cards look in multitasking and puts the clock back over to the right hand side.

I've had no issues with the update in the way of how my phone now works and the way my battery behaves.

Daily Driver > Samsung Galaxy s²⁴ Ultra 512Gb ~ Titanium Black.

The advice I offer is my own and does not represent Samsung’s position.
I'm here to help. " This is the way. "

0 Likes
Paultech
Journeyman
Options

Hello BandOfBrothers,

Thank you for your reply.

Look, I understand you are happy with the update and have found a workaround to a few of the issues it caused, many of which are serious.

But there are thousands of users (if not millions) out there who feel like their phone became useless overnight, right after they updated (of were forced to) to Android 9.0 And you can see a few huge threads about it on this very forum. I can pass you the link to them if you want.

The camera capabilities of phones like the S9+ were destroyed, especially the Pro Video mode. If I spend a lot of money on a phone solely based on the Pro Video mode, just because I want to use that specific feature, the manufacturer has no right whatsoever to take that feature away from me a few days later without my consent. It's like buying a car and then someone from the car company comes over to my garage and takes away the AC.

About the update forcing, if I buy a phone on a certain OS and I like the way the phone looks and works on that OS, you have no right to force the update on me. If I am happy with my phone and I bought it to have it exactly the way it is, you are not entitled to change my phone by force. You are not only not respecting my purchase and me as a customer, but you are also not respecting the phone settings. If there is a setting that says "disable auto system updates", then that is exactly what it should do.

By the way, it would be nice if you could explain how Samsung is not giving any kind of response to all the people talking about how they hate their phones now, which they used to love on Anroid 8.0 and before One UI turned up and would like to get their money back, since they feel they got scammed.

0 Likes
BandOfBrothers
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

@Paultech 

It's not for me to explain on behalf of Samsung.

I'm a customer just like you my friend    :winking-face:

What we see is people coming to forums to vent about what there most happy with about the update.

What we don't see is the people who are happy with the update.

Apple did the same not.long ago and many vented which came to nothing by the way of them retracting the iOS update.

They did however listen to feedback and tweaked it as iOS is not open source theres little an iPhone owner can do to customise. 

Android is open source zo abuser can customise.

Theres bits of the Samsung One Ui  / Pie I'm not overly impressed with and as such have sent my feedback.

Daily Driver > Samsung Galaxy s²⁴ Ultra 512Gb ~ Titanium Black.

The advice I offer is my own and does not represent Samsung’s position.
I'm here to help. " This is the way. "

0 Likes
Motobandit69
Journeyman
Options

Today I looked at my phone as Samsung forced an updated to Android version 9.

I've kept saying no to the update but today Samsungade the choice for me and upgraded my phone without my authorisation.

Planning to return the phone to Telstra if possible. Android version 9 is draining my battery and making my S10 run very slowly compared to version 8

0 Likes