Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Messaging

(Topic created on: 02-01-2019 04:33 PM)
TL3
Apprentice
Options

Why can't you block phrase in texts that you receive from a withheld number?

As there is no number displayed you cannot simply block the number?

Older phones I have had, note 8 and note 4 both had this capability.

9 REPLIES 9
BandOfBrothers
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

I remember quite a while ago there was apps that allowed a user to blacklist apps but they were pulled and were meant for phone calls who had their number withheld @TL3

Some phones now have a spam feature that can help with unsolicited calls.

The problem with wanting to block withheld calls is that some businesses and health care offices such as the Doctors Surgeries use withheld numbers. (I'm in the Uk)

I suppose a filter that can determine a specific phrase is helpful as long as another user who sends a text message doesn't use a similar phrase inadvertently  !

In regards to your issue I was under the impression a person cannot withhold the number on a text message !

Daily Driver > Samsung Galaxy s²⁴ Ultra 512Gb ~ Titanium Black.

The advice I offer is my own and does not represent Samsung’s position.
I'm here to help. " This is the way. "

TracyR
Options

Hey @TL3

While I'm not aware of this feature on the Note9, I've passed the suggestion on to our R&D guys.

I'll keep you posted once they respond.

:raised-hand-with-part-between-middle-and-ring-fingers:

Say "hello!" and

Introduce Yourself, or virtually hangout in the Samsung Lounge

TL3
Apprentice
Options

Hi, that is not an issue for me as I would be blocking certain words, these words would be highly unlikely to be used by doctors, nhs etc

0 Likes
TL3
Apprentice
Options

@BandOfBrothers wrote:

I remember quite a while ago there was apps that allowed a user to blacklist apps but they were pulled and were meant for phone calls who had their number withheld @TL3

Some phones now have a spam feature that can help with unsolicited calls.

The problem with wanting to block withheld calls is that some businesses and health care offices such as the Doctors Surgeries use withheld numbers. (I'm in the Uk)

I suppose a filter that can determine a specific phrase is helpful as long as another user who sends a text message doesn't use a similar phrase inadvertently  !

In regards to your issue I was under the impression a person cannot withhold the number on a text message !

Hi, that is not an issue for me as I would be blocking certain words, these words would be highly unlikely to be used by doctors, nhs etc

TL3
Apprentice
Options

Thank you

Blocking 'words' was an excellent facility, and dearly missed.

I note many forums are also complaining that this has been removed from the note 9.

Fingers crossed it gets reinstated. Giving people the choice, should they desire to block certain words in texts.

ChrisM
SuperStar
Options

Hi @TL3.

We've had a response back from the developers regarding this as follows:

"Messages app doesn't support blocked phrases anymore for a few reasons: it supports “Blocked numbers” (it's the main blocking function), there were many usability issues with blocked phrases (unlike user's intention, non-spam messages were blocked and not received) and in the case of recent spam messages, it is difficult to block by just one keyword. Also, the utilization rate was pretty low, so there are no plans to bring this function back."

Thanks for the suggestion, @TL3 and keep them coming.

0 Likes
Madison280_0
Student
Options
Yes, I've recently upgraded from S7 edge to note 9, and missing this function, I'd forgotten I had it on the S7! I stupidly added my number on a bit coin website, now all i get are these annoying texts. One word links all these texts, and the S7 did the trick.....please bring back this functionality or I'm just going to be haunted forever. Ps. There's no number attached to the texts.
0 Likes
Madison280_0
Student
Options
Hi Chris M

What about still adding this with a disclaimer attached at the end of it? I downloaded key messages, but that seems to block nearly everything, so daren't use for default text messaging. If I tried, there is a warning attached to it, saying it may not work properly, and not liable, so I decided not to. Same could be added to this block phrases function?
0 Likes
Blanchimont
Student
Options

@ChrisM wrote:

Hi @TL3.

We've had a response back from the developers regarding this as follows:

"Messages app doesn't support blocked phrases anymore for a few reasons: it supports “Blocked numbers” (it's the main blocking function), there were many usability issues with blocked phrases (unlike user's intention, non-spam messages were blocked and not received) and in the case of recent spam messages, it is difficult to block by just one keyword. Also, the utilization rate was pretty low, so there are no plans to bring this function back."

Thanks for the suggestion, @TL3 and keep them coming.

Sorry, but this doesn't make sense... 

If you receive a spam without a number, there is literally no solution to block this now. NONE.

They got rid of a key function without providing a solution. If it was for liability reasons, they should make that very clear so that people can focus their fight against spammers and carriers.

0 Likes