Support

Open search

Galaxy Note 9 Region lock

Highlighted
SOLVED
First Poster

I've recently pre ordered a Note 9 in Malaysia, but I will be studying in Japan. Will I be able to use the phone in Japan straight out of other box? Or will it be region locked to Malaysia? Any help on this matter is greatly appreciated. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Hi @Nivak

Samsung devices have a regional warranty and lock, therefore please ensure to make a 5 minute cumulative call to a local number in Malaysia, using a Malaysian network SIM in order to unlock the phone for use with networks outside that region. Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

23 REPLIES 23
Highlighted
Navigator
Hi Nivak
Traditional all Samsung devices have a regional lock on the device out of the box.

Normally with a UK device to remove the region lock you need to use the device in the UK using a UK sim card and ring a UK number for a duration of 10 mins and this breaks the lock. However I cant confirm this will be the same for devices from Malaysia.
Highlighted
Superuser I
Superuser I

Hi @Nivak

Yes I believe new Samsung flagship phones are region locked to stop grey market imports. 

The phone needs to be used to make around x3 five minute calls using a local SIM card in the country of origin. 

My advice comes from being a UK Samsung Phone User.
Current Phone ~

Samsung Note 10+ 5G _256Gb > Model: SM-N976B._ Samsung One Ui 2.1 / Android 10.

Samsung Gear s3 Frontier Watch.
Samsung Galaxy Buds.
Samsung Galaxy Tab A {2016}SM-T580

Highlighted
Hi @Nivak

Samsung devices have a regional warranty and lock, therefore please ensure to make a 5 minute cumulative call to a local number in Malaysia, using a Malaysian network SIM in order to unlock the phone for use with networks outside that region. Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

I bought my note 9 from India and traveled out of India the same day. I was informed by the dealer that the phone is region locked and need register the phone with Indian Telco SIM. Which I did, however, I could not call anyone for "5 min" duration (The details of region lock is in the documents which come in the box). 

Now I have to use India sim in the SIM1 slot and my international sim in the SIM2 slot. The moment I interchange the SIMs I get a warning sim changed restart phone. 

As I use both Indian SIM (Slot 1 ) and International SIM (Solt2) I am not facing any issues. All my defaults are set to SIM 2

I made an international roaming call using my Indian SIM for over 8min, however, the region lock remains.

I will swap the SIM when I return to India hope that will remove the region lock.

Highlighted
First Poster

Hi,

Samsung note 9 have 2 sim slot, which slot should i use to unlock the region lock? both slots have to make 5 minutes call to unlock it or only 1 slot will unlock both sim slots?

example: say i put my local sim card in the counrty of origin in slot 1, make a call back to country of origin 5 minutes, than it will unlock both sim slots? or i have to change to slot 2 and do the same again?

Highlighted
First Poster

Sorry it took so long to confirm, it kind of slipped my mind. 

I can confirm that my phone was locked to the South East Asian region. All it took to unlock it was to make a short 5 minute call from one Malaysian number to another.

As for which SIM slot, I'm not sure which one was used, since I wasnt there. I expect either one would be fine, since it's the device that's locked, but the slot.

Also, apologies for posting this on an eu forum, I didn't realise it at the time.

Highlighted
First Poster

you make a call from Japan to another Malaysia number or make a call from Malaysia to another number?

Highlighted
First Poster

Hi Nivak, I don't know what to think, I have the same issue as many of you and I had this same issue in 2004 when I purchased a Note3 in Holland. Using my Chinese SIM was a nightmere at that time and is again a nightmare now that I bought a Note 9 in Germany. This company policy sucks and make users going crazy. We live in small world now why on hearth they sell a dual SIM phone if then it does not allow to use different countries cards? The grey market thing is a company issue they cannot through the burden on the customers shoulders... This is insane. By the way I have made many 5 minutes calls with my domestic SIM in Gemany but my usual Chinese SIM is still locked and this sucks.

Highlighted
Explorer

Just got a new note and the local card works but foreign one does not keeps asking for PUK. I will try this 5 min. call thing and get back here

Top Liked Authors