Support

Open search

Galaxy Note 9 Region lock

SOLVED
First Poster

I've recently pre ordered a Note 9 in Malaysia, but I will be studying in Japan. Will I be able to use the phone in Japan straight out of other box? Or will it be region locked to Malaysia? Any help on this matter is greatly appreciated. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
AndrewL Moderator
Hi @Nivak

Samsung devices have a regional warranty and lock, therefore please ensure to make a 5 minute cumulative call to a local number in Malaysia, using a Malaysian network SIM in order to unlock the phone for use with networks outside that region. Hope this helps.
18 REPLIES 18
Navigator
Hi Nivak
Traditional all Samsung devices have a regional lock on the device out of the box.

Normally with a UK device to remove the region lock you need to use the device in the UK using a UK sim card and ring a UK number for a duration of 10 mins and this breaks the lock. However I cant confirm this will be the same for devices from Malaysia.
Superuser I
Superuser I

Hi @Nivak

Yes I believe new Samsung flagship phones are region locked to stop grey market imports. 

The phone needs to be used to make around x3 five minute calls using a local SIM card in the country of origin. 

Current Phone ~

Samsung Note 9 Model: SM-N960 Dual Hybrid 512Gb_ Samsung One Ui / Pie.

Samsung Gear s3 Frontier Watch
Samsung Galaxy Tab A {2016}SM-T580

AndrewL Moderator
Hi @Nivak

Samsung devices have a regional warranty and lock, therefore please ensure to make a 5 minute cumulative call to a local number in Malaysia, using a Malaysian network SIM in order to unlock the phone for use with networks outside that region. Hope this helps.

I bought my note 9 from India and traveled out of India the same day. I was informed by the dealer that the phone is region locked and need register the phone with Indian Telco SIM. Which I did, however, I could not call anyone for "5 min" duration (The details of region lock is in the documents which come in the box). 

Now I have to use India sim in the SIM1 slot and my international sim in the SIM2 slot. The moment I interchange the SIMs I get a warning sim changed restart phone. 

As I use both Indian SIM (Slot 1 ) and International SIM (Solt2) I am not facing any issues. All my defaults are set to SIM 2

I made an international roaming call using my Indian SIM for over 8min, however, the region lock remains.

I will swap the SIM when I return to India hope that will remove the region lock.

First Poster

Hi,

Samsung note 9 have 2 sim slot, which slot should i use to unlock the region lock? both slots have to make 5 minutes call to unlock it or only 1 slot will unlock both sim slots?

example: say i put my local sim card in the counrty of origin in slot 1, make a call back to country of origin 5 minutes, than it will unlock both sim slots? or i have to change to slot 2 and do the same again?

First Poster

Sorry it took so long to confirm, it kind of slipped my mind. 

I can confirm that my phone was locked to the South East Asian region. All it took to unlock it was to make a short 5 minute call from one Malaysian number to another.

As for which SIM slot, I'm not sure which one was used, since I wasnt there. I expect either one would be fine, since it's the device that's locked, but the slot.

Also, apologies for posting this on an eu forum, I didn't realise it at the time.

First Poster

you make a call from Japan to another Malaysia number or make a call from Malaysia to another number?

First Poster

Hi Nivak, I don't know what to think, I have the same issue as many of you and I had this same issue in 2004 when I purchased a Note3 in Holland. Using my Chinese SIM was a nightmere at that time and is again a nightmare now that I bought a Note 9 in Germany. This company policy sucks and make users going crazy. We live in small world now why on hearth they sell a dual SIM phone if then it does not allow to use different countries cards? The grey market thing is a company issue they cannot through the burden on the customers shoulders... This is insane. By the way I have made many 5 minutes calls with my domestic SIM in Gemany but my usual Chinese SIM is still locked and this sucks.

Explorer

Just got a new note and the local card works but foreign one does not keeps asking for PUK. I will try this 5 min. call thing and get back here

Top Liked Authors