Support

Open search

Creating a folder for apps

SOLVED
Explorer

How do I create a folder? I don't want to use the secure folder, I just want to organise some of my apps and tidy up my app menu.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
AndrewL Moderator

@The_V: To create a folder in your Apps menu please go to Apps > Press and hold on an app you would like to move to a folder > Drag that app over one of the apps you would like it grouped with > This will create a folder. From there, simply drag any further apps into the folder, which will now be visible in the Apps menu. Enjoy.

Edit: For an alternate approach, see the steps provided by @ash2020

8 REPLIES 8
Explorer

Say you have two apps you want to put into a folder, just drag one of the app icons and hold it on top of the other. The bottom icon should react to this - on my setup it gets a bit bigger by gaining a grey outline - which means you can now drop the top app icon 'into' the bottom one, thus creating a new folder.

Explorer

My above post was for apps on a Home screen. I've just realised that you probably want apps in the app drawer.

1. In that case, long press on an app that you want to put into a new folder.
  2. You should get a pop-up menu: choose 'Select items'
  3. Select all the apps you want in the new folder
  4. Choose the 'Create folder' option (top right on the app selection screen)

AndrewL Moderator

@The_V: To create a folder in your Apps menu please go to Apps > Press and hold on an app you would like to move to a folder > Drag that app over one of the apps you would like it grouped with > This will create a folder. From there, simply drag any further apps into the folder, which will now be visible in the Apps menu. Enjoy.

Edit: For an alternate approach, see the steps provided by @ash2020

Explorer

@AndrewL  I may be wrong but I think that the method you describe only works on Home screens, not inside the App Drawer.

For the App drawer, see my second post above.

AndrewL Moderator
I second guessed myself so I checked and it works in the App Drawer as well. @The_V, you're spoiled for choice
Explorer

@AndrewL 

Interesting.

For me, long pressing on an app in the App Drawer takes me (and the icon I'm pressing) out of the app drawer and to my most recent Home screen. I get no chance to drag it onto another app in the App Drawer.

Highlighted
Explorer

OK, mystery solved. I was pressing for too long. It seems that you have to be quicker than I normally am in order to be able to drag and drop within the app drawer. Conversely there is no time limit on Home screens.

Pathfinder

Or press on the app in the app drawer, drag it to the top of the app drawer, it will go to the home screen, then still holding it, drag it to either the folder you want, or on top of another app to create a folder.  (You might have to chase the app around for a few seconds)  I have about 80 apps on my phone, all on one screen.  I hate flipping back and forth trying to find one app.  

Top Liked Authors