Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

An annoying issue using Maps on Galaxy Watch 5 Pro

(Topic created on: 04-07-2023 05:23 PM)
frozentrone
Journeyman
Options
I wonder if any has experienced this issue of incorrect compass pointing direction when using Google Maps on the galaxy watch. Basically, if you wear it on the right wrist with the physical buttons pointing away from you, in the map, the compass will be pointing to the opposite direction of the direction you are actually facing. See the example below. I guess that is because I am essentially wearing the watch "upside down" on my right wrist. I hope samsung would be able to fix this issue. It's tiny but it means a lot for a left-handed person like me who prefers wearing the watch on my right wrist with the buttons pointing outwards!

14 REPLIES 14
AndrewL
Options

@frozentrone: Please can you try heading to Settings > General > Orientation, and set the watch to match the wrist you wear it on. It may also help to head to your Apps screen > Compass > Drag the '-' icon upwards > Calibrate, and swing your wrist. Please be aware that the presence of magnetic substances, such as the wireless charger, may affect to your Watch’s internal compass sensor and lower its accuracy. Let me know how you get on. 

0 Likes
GalaxyGeekPro
Journeyman
Options
How do you use Google maps on watch 5 Pro. I also have watch 5 Pro
0 Likes
frozentrone
Journeyman
Options
I downloaded from the play store
frozentrone
Journeyman
Options
Hello Andrew, thanks for your prompt reply. My watch was set to the correct orientation. The issue is with the position of the physical buttons. Regardless of which hand you set the watch to, the compass will point to the correct direction when you set the keys to be on the right. This becomes an issue when you set the physical keys to be on the left, the compass now points towards the person holding the watch. The compass orientation doesn't get updated when the watch is turned "upside down" if that makes sense.
0 Likes
Members_Vu4tz2a
First Poster
Options

Same issue here with Galaxy Watch 4 - compass flipped when wearing on right wrist with buttons on the left. Compass is calibrated and wrist and orientation set correctly in settings.  Any help greatly appreciated!

frozentrone
Journeyman
Options
Glad to know that I'm not the only one!
0 Likes
INDIA_MIKE
Student
Options

That makes two of us. In my case the issue occured after the recent firmware upgrade. Until now none of the following workarounds has managed to solve the really annoying issue ...

0 Likes
INDIA_MIKE
Student
Options

Same here!☹️

0 Likes
frozentrone
Journeyman
Options
Been trying to leave comments on play store for Google to fix this issue but so far nothing has happened...
0 Likes