Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

why no Dolby Atmos on samsung Netflix App???

(Topic created on: 29-04-2020 04:29 PM)
Leet2274
Pioneer
Options

i have Q9FN and HW N850 Atmos Soundbar

when using Netflix App on the TV, i went into Expert Audio Settings and it lets me select "dolby digital +" for audio ouput

the hw n850 sounbar supports Atmos

yet when on netlfix still only get crappy 5.1 sound

ive owned a sony xf9005 recently and their netflix app gives Dolby Atmos sound using "dolby digital +" , yes it is "lossy" dolby atmos but still sounds much better than DD 5.1

so my question is why are Samsung not updating their Netflix App to have Dolby Atmos. i have what is required here, dolby digital + selected on q9fn and atmos capable hw n850 soundbar. this is all thats required for "lossy Dolby Atmos" same as you get on 2018 sony & LG tv's

come on samsung, please sort this out by updating to a atmos capable Netflix APP version. its all thats needed

its bad enough having no DTS after spending £2000 on your tv & sounbar, the very least you can do to keep customers a little bit happier is Fix this one

632 REPLIES 632
Rajeswar
Journeyman
Options
same here , have a QA65QQ7FNA samsung 4KQLED connected to my DENON AVR-X1400H, have exactly same issue , tried even 4K firetv stick and same issue. Looks like there is an issue between Sansumg and DOLBY. Period.
0 Likes
Rajeswar
Journeyman
Options
same set up I have DENON AVR X1400H and I tried all settings , still donot see ATMOS . Looks like its an issue between Samsung and Dolby. I see 4K UHD Video but only 5.1 no ATMOS. all along did not get any response from Samsung either.
0 Likes
Rizel23
Journeyman
Options

Had it working fine for months, reset box and lost Atmos on the Netflix app. 

switched all cables in and out now joy.

Opened up Amazon prime app played a Atmos TV and changed tv show and changed tv output settings to DD+ (Quick launch menu) and got Atmos working.

Tried Atmos on Netflix again and showed back up and working fine again. 

https://imgur.com/gallery/04hCiKx

Sky Q also working on Atmos titles (oblivion) 

Samsung 75Q90R abd matching Q90R Soundbar. 

it's a faff but with the HDMI delay for the audio set up working perfect again 

LG_A
Journeyman
Options
Confirmed, nothing worked with Q90RAT TV + N850. Windows 10 did have Dolby Atmos, but Netflix app for some reason was only showing black screen after starting to watch (anything).

TV App did only have 5.1 with greyed out Dolby+ option.
Started Prime, changed with extra settings/Dolby+ and restarted Netflix and Atmos is shown again in Netflix.

So frustrated with ***** software from Netflix and rudiculous hardware from Samsung. This is just nuts, not for this amount of money...
0 Likes
Houndog787
Explorer
Options

@LG_A wrote:
Confirmed, nothing worked with Q90RAT TV + N850. Windows 10 did have Dolby Atmos, but Netflix app for some reason was only showing black screen after starting to watch (anything).

TV App did only have 5.1 with greyed out Dolby+ option.
Started Prime, changed with extra settings/Dolby+ and restarted Netflix and Atmos is shown again in Netflix.

So frustrated with ***** software from Netflix and rudiculous hardware from Samsung. This is just nuts, not for this amount of money...

I had to get the Amazon cube and I now get Atmos on Netflix and Amazon prime but if I was you I'd buy a Nvidia shield. I know it's more money having to be spent but you will get Atmos in everything then

0 Likes
Janitorus
Pathfinder
Options

UE55MU7000 + HW-Q80R soundbar 

1280.5 firmware on the TV, 1008.0 on the soundbar. Newest as far as I can tell. Updated soundbar manually. 

- One connect box is connected to ARC port on the TV. Soundbar is connected to the one connect box ARC port.

- Netflix and Amazon prime both will not show "Atmos" icon next to movies or series, only 5.1. Is this normal behaviour?

- With Amazon Prime (watching Tom Clancy Jack Ryan for example) I am able to get the soundbar to recognize Dolby Atmos when setting the output mode in the TV to Dolby Digital+. The soundbar will then show "Dolby Atmos" on its display. The top firing speakers however seem to have no sound at all when Atmos is recognized. They work fine in normal surround mode and are very active, but I suppose they are copied of some other channel then. Although sometimes when listening closely, I wonder if they aren't actually a unique channel instead? Placebo probably.

I have reset the TV app hub and the TV itself, started clean, no luck. Although before resetting the TV, I don't think I ever saw the soundbar display "Atmos".

Seems like a buggy mess, they way things are playing out now between the TV apps and the soundbar. The TV is a model from 2017, I think it was also promised the HDR10+ update, but never got it. But that's the least of my concern right now. I want the soundbar and apps to play along nicely.

Any tips are welcome, I've already tried a lot of things so for now I'll say: Samsung please get this rediculous buggy mess sorted out. We shouldn't have to deal with these issues for this kind of money. Not on 2017 models and not on 2019-2020 models either. People who just bought 2019-2020 models are probably raging even harder when they run into this mess.

0 Likes
LG_A
Journeyman
Options

Actually it seems more like a "glitch" with Dolby+ not being updated / passed to Netflix application.

On Amazon Samsung setting under expert settings was "unblocked" (meaning was not greyed out and you could trigger pcm/dolby/dolby+).  It seems that invoking Dolby+ again has overwritten some cache settings (?) and Netflix was able to detect Atmos after all. This may also explain why reverting TV to default settings may work for some.

There are many threads here regarding case example: eARC etc. which actually does not have to do anything with this case.

My setup is simple: QE55Q90RATXXH connected via 2.2 HDMI cable with N850, both have no eARC but Dolby Atmos option is available via regular ARC.

I am so very annoyed by Samsungs unability to write a good code, which triggers many "weird" issues - problems with PIP, issues with auto-on (sometimes soudbar does not start with TV when its swithced on), glitch with Atmos/Netflix. These are well described by many users across multiple forums but Samsung does not seem to do anything to fix it.

Such a big company with "I dont care about your problem" attitude.

0 Likes
insmek
First Poster
Options

I've been trying to figure out how to get this working, because with my setup it seems like it should technically be possible. I have a 75Q70R with a Vizio SB46514-F6 connected via the HDMI ARC port. The TV detects that the soundbar is Atmos compatible, and the proper option is checked in the sound menu. However I haven't had any success in getting any of the built-in apps to recognize that there's an Atmos-compatible device attached. Netflix displays only 5.1, as do Disney+ and Prime Video. Based on some of the replies, the step-down model from mine, the Q60R, seems to be capable of passing Atmos, so I don't see a reason why I cannot, particularly since the TV recognizes that my setup is compatible. 

If anyone has any recommendations, I'm certainly open to them. I've tried an Apple TV 4K previously, and while it worked I would prefer to utilize the built-in apps for the sake of simplicity.

0 Likes
_oSo_
Navigator
Options
0 Likes
LG_A
Journeyman
Options

This helped me (solution is on p 29):

1. start Prime Video on TV - start DA content (eg Suspiria is in DA);

2. using Samsung's TV remote - go to settings/sound/advanced settings/format. 

You should be able to select some entries.

Choose PCM first. Then repeat and choose Dolby+.

3. exit Prime Video

4. start netflix app on TV

5. go to eg Dark - you should be able to see Dolby Atmos logo instead of 5.1

That worked on my setup.