Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What happens if upscaling stops working?

(Topic created on: 28-03-2024 06:41 PM)
Antony1953
Explorer
Options

I have a QE85QN900AT t/v I bought about 18 months ago and have enjoyed watching tons of stuff with no issues. But 4 weeks ago the picture quality suddenly dropped. I was watching something in UHD and slowly the details started getting fuzzier and nothing like the quality I'm used to. 

8k stuff still looks very good. 4k/UHD some videos are very good others are now just ok. HD is poor and some of it is barely watchable. SD is very poor. Any old 625 programmes are totally unwatchable. The old stuff I like watching such as Fools and Horses, Dinnerladies, Yes Prime minister and others are now unwatchable regardless of source even though they were ok until a few weeks ago. I have recordings from months back that were ok to watch but not now.Live broadcasts of these shows are unwatchable whether its from Virgins t/v box or streamed via Samsung.

Virgin have replaced my t/v box and my router but nothing has improved.

So my question is, does upscaling effect all resolutions to some extent not just the old stuff, in which case it seems to have stopped working. HELP.

3 REPLIES 3
Gurky
Helping Hand
Options
Ngl this is super interesting and I'll update if I find more. In terms of how the upscaling works well never fully know that will always be a secret. I was told at one point that it will only get better as the "AI improves".

So for 2024 the big chnage is it steps up the image ie 1080p to 4k then to 8k so I presume older will be trying to jump all the way to 8k. It could be something to do with the bitrate? Your eyes might not see the drop but the upscaling algorithm does so maybe its doing a poor job of that.

If in warranty I'd make use of it. Since the 2021 8k there has been a few big jumps to upscaling tech.

The other one as well 720p content at 85" never looks quite as good, let's be fair ot was made for 32" screens and your nearly 4k larger and 16x more pixels.
0 Likes
Antony1953
Explorer
Options

Hi, yes I realise that older t/v programmes weren't made for modern t/v's but that is where this Samsung was doing really well. The picture would have black bars on either end, the quality wasn't fantastic but it was watchable and I had fun watching them. But now the image is very grainy and poor plus I can see scan lines where peoples eyes and mouths should be. It's gone from ok to watch to impossible in just a few weeks. Two other problems have just show up.

Last night I watched a good video in UHD with HDR made by someone who has a very good camera setup and right before my eyes the quality starts going down hill. All the detail in peoples faces just vanished and the trees and bushes became blurry. I watched other videos by the same person and they were fine.

Today I checked the same video and it was still poor quality. Just by chance I switched to twin screens so I could watch BBC news for a while. I noticed in the smaller screen that the video seemed to look better, so I went back to full screen and the problem went away. The video looks great again. I tried with other videos that had gone cr*ppy and after going from small screen back to full screen,the faults went away and the pictures are great again. So it must be the t/v at fault, nothing else.

Samsung sent an engineer this week and later that day Martin Dawes rang me to say the t/v was working within accepted parameters and there was nothing that they could do. So it looks like I'll have a fight on my hands to get this repaired under warranty.

0 Likes
Gurky
Helping Hand
Options
Hmm yeah, it's an interesting one! It seems as tho the upscaling is picking and choosing (badly) what to upsacle
0 Likes