Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart TV - HDR - DARK - Unwatchable - "Letter to the CEO" - Call to ACTION! SAMSUNG

(Topic created on: 27-10-2023 11:57 AM)
theVitus
Journeyman
Options

[Msg TAGS in forum, not available but actually the relevant ones: HDR, DARK, UNWATCHABLE]

To the CEO of Samsung via "e-mail the CEO" function the web-site,

I own several Samsung products, and am in general satisfied - this just makes it worse to have a severe problem with my Samsung TV that often renders it nearly useless.
The issue is that the automatic HDR or HDR10+ makes a lot of content - mainly series and movies from streaming services - too dark to watch.

Upon spending hours and hours searching for solutions I have realized the following:

1) Samsung has NO easy and accessible way to provide meaningful bug-reports, feature problems/requests or feedback at all.
In fact it seems like Samsung takes steps to AVOID that. This is of course very unfortunate as it goes directly against the trends of the time as well as against the image that Samsung other wise has. This is why I am resorting to this channel!

2) The HDR issue is a WELL KNOWN issue that has EXISTED FOR YEARS! To demonstrate this I asked google Bard to tell me how many "distinct posts, mentions, articles, web-pages etc that are on the internet about HDR problems on Samsung smart tv?" The result is astoundingly BAD for Samsung, and I am sending this message to the "CEO" to get executive attention to such an enormously important issue and resolve the HDR/HDR10+ TOO DARK-TO-SEE-ANYTHING ISSUE!

I expect that some sort of reply to my "e-mail to the CEO" is made - as a minimum: e-Mail received; but better yet if it was: Thanks for the alert, we will look into it and let you know our further actions.

PS! I recommend to form a task-force to look into commonly occurring problems (don't for a moment think that HDR is the only issue that is ignored!) with Samsung products, reported by the thousands, but apparently (if you review the forums and community) NEVER addressed (by more than level 1 lip-service) by Samsung!

PPS! I have also posted this text/e-mail in the Samsung Community for Samsung TVs - title: "Smart TV - HDR - DARK - Unwatchable - "Letter to the CEO" - Call to SAMSUNG for action!"

PPPS! I am on latest firmware version (2501/2501.1) - manually downloaded and updated via USB.

Bst rgds
Vitus

The following is google Bard's summary of my findings on the number of distinct posts, mentions, articles, and web pages about HDR problems on Samsung smart TVs:

=================================

Web pages:

• A Google search for "HDR problems Samsung smart TV" returns over 10,000 results.

Forum posts:

• Samsung Community: 320+ posts
    [NOTE! MOST of these posts are people getting desperate with the issue and the no reply/no action from Samsung]
  • AVS Forum: 150+ posts
  • Reddit: 100+ posts
  • LinusTechTips: 50+ posts

Articles (NOTE! NONE of these "fixes" actually work!):

• "How to fix HDR problems on Samsung smart TVs" (TechRadar, 2023-08-04)
  • "Samsung smart TV HDR issues: A comprehensive guide" (FlatpanelsHD, 2023-05-12)
  • "HDR problems on Samsung smart TVs: What you need to know" (HDGuru, 2023-03-08)

It is important to note that this is just a small sample of the total number of posts, mentions, articles, and web pages about HDR problems on Samsung smart TVs. The actual number is likely much higher.
=================================

0 Likes
7 REPLIES 7
CEO-ROK
Journeyman
Options

What tv do you have?

0 Likes
theVitus
Journeyman
Options

MN : UN65TU8000GXZD

PD : --/--/----

SN : Y4HG3X5N815183Y

FW : T-NKLUABC-2410.0

FC : SWU-OU_T-NKLUABC_2410_230111

MI : T-NKLUABC

LS : BRA_DTV

DI : ZPCGUU3YPHRAG

MA : 4CC95EF7BD63

SC : 20401_AC2AE3_Z_Z

0 Likes
Jody6025
Student
Options

I am having the same issues but have found a workaround that works most of the time

Change picture Mode to Dynamic

Start UHD content 

Switch back to desired picture Mode

Continue watching content. 

At least this works without having to go into advanced picture settings. 

Not the best way to do business but gets me by

BTW, I have a UN85TU8000FXGA running version 2501.1

0 Likes
theVitus
Journeyman
Options

Thx Jody, I do something similar but it helps so little that it's also pretty useless.

My process is to start content; use quick switch from dynamic through all the others back to dynamic.

Dynamic is the mode where the problem is least apparent, and my report is re. That

Anyway... *Shrug

0 Likes
theVitus
Journeyman
Options

CHRISTMAS UPDATE!

It's been almost 2 months since I posted this AND sent email with same text to the Talk with the CEO communication channel.

Besides that pretty random'ish CEO-ROK post asking what TV I have, I have heard NOTHING from SAMSUNG, pretty much proving that Customers are supposed to buy, pay and be quiet!

@SAMSUNG - WHY DO YOU HAVE THESE COMMUNICATION CHANNELS IF YOU DON'T USE THEM?

Happy holidays everyone

Cheers

Vitus

0 Likes
Wncgeek
Student
Options

How do we start a class action lawsuit regarding this?

theVitus
Journeyman
Options

I certainly like how you think. I'll ask lawyer friends what can be done.

But, I think the best way is to create more attention - so, copy/paste to social media and tag Samsung.

Given that they have had more than ample time to respond here I'll start doing that now.

I'll also make a small video showing how a movie looks in the  trailer (trailers are made w/o HDR to appear brighter) and how it then actually looks when you watch the movie - i.e. mostly so dark you can't see anything.

I'll try! to also get a video of same movie on a non-SAMSUNG, non-HDR tv to compare with.

0 Likes