Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung rejected 5 year warranty on TV bought 12 days ago

(Topic created on: 12-02-2024 12:56 PM)
Dinsdale
Journeyman
Options

On 31/1/2024 I bought a TV from the Samsung UK website. It had a retail price of £999 but was offered with 10% discount, £100 'Trade Up' allowance for my old TV and 6 months free access to Disney+. Not a bad deal.

The 10% discount which should have been £99.90 was calculated at £89.90 so they cheated me of £10.

I registered the TV online as required to establish the 5 year warranty. It appeared on my account as a 1 year warranty which is in effect no warranty at all because it matches the period covered by UK consumer law.

No sign of the Disney+ offer so I wasted two sessions in online chat. The second session revealed that Samsung was already aware of the warranty and Disney+ issues and would resolve these as quickly as possible.

I was subsequently invited to 'claim' the 5 year warranty which I regarded as part of the deal. Samsung would let me know within seven days if my 'claim' had been successful. Well, today they informed me that it wasn't:

"Claim ID: *****
Thank you for applying for the extended 5-Year Warranty from Samsung.com.

Unfortunately, we were unable to register your product, for the following reason:

Serial Number already used in another Samsung promotion/ non-cumulative offers."

Samsung appears to be saying that because I used another unspecified promotion it cancels my right to the 5 year warranty which was for me the major selling point. Absolutely disgraceful.

I was offered access to the Disney+ free period through a convoluted process but didn't take it because it required entry of my credit card details and my trust level with Samsung is below zero.

9 REPLIES 9
SocietyGirl
Community Manager
Options

Care+ is handled by Assurant - could be worth reaching out to them directly? Contact Us (assurant.co.uk)

Say hi to us on socials -  @SamsungUK

Dinsdale
Journeyman
Options

Thanks for your reply. I'm sure Assurant is a great company but they'd act on instructions from Samsung and the deal so far is for a 1 year warranty.

I've just ended a phone call with Samsung in which I was told initially that because I'd used the 10% discount promotion (it was actually part of the automated purchase process) it cancelled the 5 year warranty. There is nothing on the Samsung web page which suggests that any of the inducements is conditional. The only option was my use of the £100 'Trade Up' as my old TV qualified for this.

The person I spoke with eventually agreed to honour the 5 year warranty but it's part of yet another 'claim' process, the result of which Samsung will inform me within seven days. 

0 Likes
Dinsdale
Journeyman
Options

Despite the recent verbal assurance that the 5 year warranty would be honoured I've just received another email to say that my 'claim' has been rejected:

"

Dear Tom

Claim ID: *****

Thank you for applying for the extended 5-Year Warranty from Samsung.com.

Unfortunately, we were unable to register your product, for the following reason:

Serial Number already used in another Samsung promotion/ non-cumulative offers.

If you have any problems using the online registration site, or if you believe this to be an error, please contact us.

https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/contact/#shop-support

Thank you for your patience and understanding."

Not so sure about my patience and understanding

0 Likes
Piper123
Maestro
Options
You're still in your 14 days return period......
Dinsdale
Journeyman
Options

It's a great TV, I don't want to give it back. My old but perfectly working Sony 46" LED HD was taken in part exchange and I wouldn't get that back as the delivery guys said it'd go straight to the tip.

Samsung can keep the £10 they cheated me out of and the Disney+, I just want the 5 year warranty. Apparently the alleged 10% discount was deemed a promotion which cancelled the 5 year warranty. It wasn't possible to buy the TV from the Samsung website without the discount being applied automatically so they might as well have offered a lifetime warranty or some other deception to sweeten the deal.

Samsung changed the deal a couple of days after I bought mine but this is the same model:

https://www.samsung.com/uk/tvs/qled-tv/qn85c-55-inch-neo-qled-4k-smart-tv-qe55qn85catxxu/

I bought mine for £999 minus the alleged 10% discount and a further £100 'Trade Up' allowance against my old TV.  The current deal is £1099 but with £150 cashback, so £50 more than I would have paid if Samsung hadn't calculated 10% of £999 to be £89.90. The same offers of 'Trade Up', 5 year warranty and free 6 months use of Disney+ are still there without any indication that these are an either/or.

0 Likes
Gurky
Helping Hand
Options
FYI the disney is via Samsung Promotions app you claim the code.

The 10% is correct as 999 -100 for trade up is 899 so 10% is £89.
0 Likes
Dinsdale
Journeyman
Options

My Samsung account still shows a 1 year warranty. So far I've received two emails rejecting my claim for the 5 year warranty offered when I bought the TV from the Samsung UK webshop.

Yesterday I received an email confirming the 5 year warranty and today I received this from Craig at Customer Solutions:

"I have taken the time today to complete a full review of your account and the journey that you had with us, I’d like to assure you that we have taken everything into consideration prior to sending our response. 

I was sorry to hear that you’ve been receiving varied information regarding the 5-year extended warranty on your television, please accept my apologies for the frustration and inconvenience this has caused you. 

Looking at your account and speaking with a colleague regarding the extended warranty, I can confirm that due to the Samsung promotion of 10% discount, this voids the extended warranty offer for the television, as it only applies if purchased at the full price. 

I understand that this is not the outcome or resolution you were hoping for today, please accept my apologies in advance. "

In a subsequent phone call I pointed out once again that I bought directly from Samsung, not a discount website, and that it's impossible to buy without the 10% discount being applied automatically. For the second time I was told that the 5 year warranty would be registered but before the end of that call I received yet another email stating that it would be confirmed within 7 days. Fingers crossed but that's a re-run of last week's call.

Score so far: 3 emails saying no, 1 email saying yes and 2 verbal yes to the extended warranty.

0 Likes
Akhil
First Poster
Options

They are non trust worthy, I too had the similar experience my tv webpage showed £200 cashback and 5 years warranty both got rejected as product was brought from their so called epp site,I did complain about it that if epp site product was not valid for these offer why it was shown on the site at first place and 5 years warranty was with *#or number to know T&C applies.But they argued its written on image,size of font is so tiny that even after 200 percent zoom i couldn't read that tiny part.

Intension to show £200 cashback and 5 years of EPP sites and saying not valid on epp sites ,shows samsung true intension is to cheat people 

0 Likes
Dinsdale
Journeyman
Options

I'm currently following up with the Advertising Standards Agency who emailed me on 01/03/2024 with:

"ASA complaint reference: A24-1233815 Samsung Electronics (UK) Ltd

Thank you for your complaint concerning the ad for a 5-year warranty offered with some items on Samsung's website. We’ve assessed the ad you highlighted and, from the information we have, we think it likely to have breached the Advertising Codes (“the Codes”) that we administer, as the limitations of the 5 year warranty were not stated upfront.  We are writing to let you know that we will be taking steps to address this. 

We will explain your concerns to the advertiser and provide guidance to them on the areas that require attention, together with advice on how to ensure that their advertising complies with the Codes."

I've also raised a complaint with ******* and on 07/03/2024 received this reply from a 'Senior Customer Services Executive':

"I will speak with our store team and promotions department to gain further insight and will come back to you as soon as possible." 

The warranty is still at 1 year but I'll post back here if there are any developments. Samsung UK currently has a 1 star rating on Trustpilot from 8,319 comments, of which 90% gave the minimum rating of 1 star. Lots of broken 'promises' and bad service.

0 Likes