Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung OneConnect & Sky Mini - Ethernet

(Topic created on: 11-12-2023 03:44 PM)
kerry_davies
Student
Options

Hello all, I've had a Google and search through the forums but not found anything concrete so posting in here for advice/guidance, thanks in advance for any help.

I have a 65" QN95B and have a single wired Cat6 point behind the TV (with 500Mbps FTTP Full Fibre).

I currently have the wired port hooked up to the OneConnect box, with the Sky Mini connecting over wifi.

We use the TV to 99% of the time watch content on Sky, or through the Sky portal (so On Demand, iPlayer etc).

Am I better off connecting the Sky Mini via the ethernet cable, or leaving it as it.  To be honest we've not had any buffering, but wondering what the best solution is.

I've also looked at an Ethernet Splitter, but looks like this limits the bandwidth that goes down each one.  That said, I don't think a 2-port switch exists.

0 Likes
3 REPLIES 3
JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

@kerry_davies do you have Skq or Sky stream,  the Boxes for stream generally referred to do as pucks whilst secondary Box for Q called Minis.   As long as there are currently no issues and you have a strong wifi signal it will probably be fine.   However  it seems the wired connection between the main Sky Q box and Sky Q Mini boxes will generally be more reliable than the 5 GHz wireless connection , some do recommend an ethernet connection  and some  bandwidth would be freed up.   one article here https://www.increasebroadbandspeed.co.uk/how-to-disable-wifi-with-sky-q-and-use-ethernet  

with Sky Stream from reports I have seen  some reviewers  tend to recommend ethernet https://www.trustedreviews.com/reviews/sky-stream 

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

0 Likes
kerry_davies
Student
Options

Thanks James, I have Sky Q so it’s a mini box. 

I’ll check out that link. 

The connection over WiFi does appear fine, benefit of hindsight I should have put a couple of Cat6 ports in not one. 

I might go down the Splitter route as then I would have two wired connections which are always going to be more reliable than WiFi. Even if it is limited by the Splitter the wired speed should still be more than enough.  

JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options
No problem, yes splitter should work well.

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.