Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Teletext facility on BBC!

(Topic created on: 16-10-2022 01:12 PM)
grahamm7
Explorer
Options

Just purchased a new Samsung 32" Frame QLED ultra smart TV. However I can't get teletext on BBC. The controller has teletext button. My previous Samsung LED TV less smart! Received teletext OK. I use teletext for news snippets cricket scores weather etc. I thought the digital free view BBC signal carries teletext. So why doesn't the TV handle it? Do I need to change a setting? Or has the ultra smart Samsung TV excluded teletext? The TV has Internet via WiF ok etc. Or in upgrading am I loosing an important to me function. Any help ideas welcome. Thanks

0 Likes
10 REPLIES 10
DavidMW
First Poster
Options

Teletext no longer exists on the BBC, or any UK channel.

0 Likes
JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

HI @grahamm7  

You may need to use the Red Button for interactive services.

Information relayed from Samsung  a while ago was:

Due to broadcast changes it is no-longer possible to access BBC interactive services using the Teletext button. Please note, TVs that are not connected to the internet and some older models may still show some information if the Teletext button is pressed.

It is now necessary to press the RED button to launch BBC interactive services. Just make sure that your signed in to your Samsung Account on the TV and BBC iPlayer app."

See more information here :   

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/tv/ue50au8000-no-bbc-teletext-service/td-p/4612691 

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/tv/cannot-get-teletext-on-new-uhd-tv/td-p/1663014 

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

0 Likes
leicesterMan
Troubleshooter
Options
You mean the red button interactive services, teletext obsolete
0 Likes
grahamm7
Explorer
Options

So if I am signed into Samsung on my TV and and BBC iplayer AND press the RED button I will get BBC interactive services.  BUT will I get the teletext service that is transmitted on the terrestial freeview BBC signal??  At the moment I use my DVD player on BBC freeview and press the Teletext button and hey presto I get teletext while I have my breakfast for a precis of the news - rather than the politicians and experts on BBC droning on for 10 minutes or so when what I want over my breakfast is a precis of what is happening.  But that is progress for you!

0 Likes
grahamm7
Explorer
Options

My new Frame TV is signed into my Samsung Account.  I now realise that the BBC has changed the data mechanism aka 'teletext'.  However the RED Button does nothing.  Tried on Live Freeview reception.  Tried it on BBC iplayer coming through the Internet I believe.  So how do I get the Red Button to give me the BBC interactive services or something??

0 Likes
dustrat
First Poster
Options

Teletext was ITV and was discontinued along time ago but Text on BBC is still available and still using it on Panasonic TV. Have just bought a new Samsung QE43QN90A TV and it is not available. WHY ??. After having TV for week I'm tempted to take back for refund. Is there an update or an app that I can install to get BBC text

0 Likes
dustrat
First Poster
Options

Sorry David but BBC text still does exist and I can still get it on my Panasonic smart TV

0 Likes
AnnW38
First Poster
Options

The BBC equivalent still exists.

0 Likes
AnnW38
First Poster
Options

Did you get BBC text service on your  new Samsung in the end? We've just bought one and have the problem you described. Did you send you Samsung tv back?

0 Likes