Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tab S8 Ultra not recognising external card reader

(Topic created on: 09-02-2023 01:50 AM)
Phydeaux
First Poster
Options

I bought a card reader to use with my S8 Ultra. It had to read CF cards as my DSLR isn't the latest. When I plug it in, it defaults to 'charging device connected' and when I try to change the device controlling the USB, it says 'couldn't switch'. The card reader is connected with a USB-C to USB-C cable.

When I click the USB icon in the top bar, it says 'device not recognised'.

The device in question is a Lexar RW500 professional card reader.

Does anyone have any tips?

Cheers

0 Likes
8 REPLIES 8
Joeeye
Maestro
Options
Have you tried connecting it to another device, a phone or PC and if so does it work?
0 Likes
Phydeaux
First Poster
Options

It works when plugged into my PC, but gives the same result when plugged into my S20+

0 Likes
Joeeye
Maestro
Options
I may be wrong, but unfortunately I don't believe Android supports CF card readers.
0 Likes
Robin999
Big Cheese
Options
Is your card reader compatible with android devices or just computers?
0 Likes
Phydeaux
First Poster
Options

This isn't stated in the card reader documents. I would have assumed it was as it's only a box with 3 card slots on it.

0 Likes
Robin999
Big Cheese
Options
I think Amazon has it down as compatible with computers only.
0 Likes
egtan
First Poster
Options

I'm having the same problem with a USB-C card reader and a Samsung Evo Plus Micro SD memory card.

The tablet doesn't seem to recognise an external card reader. However, if I plug the same card reader into my Samsung Galaxy s21 Ultra smartphone, it works and I can copy the files out. 

This seems to be a problem with the Galaxy Tab tablet. 

Please fix this issue, Samsung. 

ScottiePaTottie
Student
Options
I'm having the same problem with my samsung phone and tablet defaulting to charging rather than transferring files. The reader states compatible with Andriod. Did you manage to find a solution as I'm tearing my hair out
0 Likes