Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suggestions

Post your ideas here to help improve the One UI user experience and existing features!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Uneven distribution of decibels across levels on the sound bar when android smartphone is connected to bluetooth speaker

0 Likes

Hey, so about two years ago an android update (I don't remember which exactly) changed how the level of sound is distributed on the sound bar when it's connected to any bluetooth speaker.

Previously it was an even distribution - the sound changed by the same amount of decibels at each level. After the update, it stayed evenly distributed between all levels but one - the maximum level of sound that is safe for hearing (white bluetooth sign) and the minimum level of sound that can damage your ears in the long term (red bluetooth sign) (images for context below). 

Screenshot_20220414-195440_Settings.jpg

Sound level distributed evenly across all safe for hearing sound levels. Becomes two or three times louder or quiter between the safe for hearing sound levels maximum threshold (white) and unsafe for hearing sound minimum threshold (red)

Screenshot_20220414-195444_Settings.jpg

This made listening to music on bluetooth speakers very annoying and difficult, because a lot of times the optimum level of sound that I want to hear is between those thresholds, so to achieve it I needed to disable the absolute volume for bluetooth devices in developer settings and tune the sound separately on the smartphone and bluetooth headphones or speakers. Also, because of the absolute volume was disabled, I can't track my headphone audio level in the digital wellbeing app.

I've encountered this on two samsung galaxy notes (model 8 and 20 ultra) in the last two years, so I'm not really sure if the problem is in every android phone or just samsung, but I still wanted to report it to both sides just to be sure. I'm not sure though if it was purposefully designed that way, or if it's a long overlooked bug, or a mildly malicious sabotage that was made by some fired android or galaxy designer out of spite, but please, revert it to the way it was before. I am an avid music lover and this is the only issue with the smartphone that has been bugging me for the last two years and making my life just slightly harder everytime I try to change the sound while listening on bluetooth headphones or speakers.