Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UK Trade-in is a huge failure

(Topic created on: 17-05-2023 07:47 PM)
MB089
Explorer
Options

Hi,

I need your support to address a frustrating issue I've encountered with Samsung UK.

In early February, I purchased a Samsung S23 Ultra through their trade-in program, andI sent my old device as instructed within the required timeframe.

Unfortunately, two weeks later, I received a notification that my device was locked. Despite my repeated efforts and providing proof of postage, Samsung UK has been unresponsive. After going back and forth for 3 months, their latest response states that the Royal Mail Fraud investigation team couldn't verify my postage receipt and that they demand me pay the promotion back.

I find this shocking as I have a video of me posting the device inside the post office branch. I have a genuine receipt from the main post office branch in my city and also tracking information.

And surprisingly if you use the tracking number which is printed on both the trade-in label provided by Samsung as well as my receipt if you use that tracking number it clearly states that item was received by Royal Mail stating the date and name of the Royal Mail centre.

How come that Royal Mail admits they have received the item and at the same time denying the authenticity of the Post Office receipt?

I really regret going through all of this headache having paid a lot of money and losing my old S22 ultra device and now I have a device about to be locked and I need to pay lots of money. Please avoid the whole UK Trade-in program as I see lots of issues on this page regarding it. I wish I never used it.

I am deeply disappointed with Samsung UK's lack of communication, delayed resolution, and failure to address my concerns as a customer.

Please advise me what can be done at this stage? Should I contact Royal Mail myself or go to a small claim court or solicitor?

31 REPLIES 31
-Robot-
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
Did you pay extra for special delivery and signed for? I am guessing not,

That what I always do if royal mail loses it I have some insurance
0 Likes
BandOfBrothers
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

Hi @MB089 

What an awful situation to be in 😔 

Samsung will lock out the phone due to the trade in phone not being recieved unless the money is paid unfortunately.

I've only ever traded in one phone to Samsung and that was in a Samsung Experience Store.

I'm not certain how your going to be able to resolve this without paying the excess I'm afraid.

You can certainly try and escalate this as much as possible with Royal Mail however in regards to Samsungs side of the contract until they've recieved the phone the contract hasn't been fulfilled at your end.

I wish you all the best with this. 

Daily Driver > Samsung Galaxy s²⁴ Ultra 512Gb ~ Titanium Black.

The advice I offer is my own and does not represent Samsung’s position.
I'm here to help. " This is the way. "

MB089
Explorer
Options
No I didn't, I have always used the tracked 48 label that comes with the products. I never knew that it was such a big issue.
In either case regardless of the type of postage, it seems that Royal Mail is denying it.

It should be Samsung's responsibility to choose the appropriate method of returning the device. I would have been more than happy to return it to a local branch or use services such as DHL or others if advised to do so.
If a corporation as huge as Samsung sends you a device and label I would not hesitate in using these particularly that I recently moved to the UK and didn't know that there are issues around using Royal Mail tracked services.
0 Likes
MB089
Explorer
Options
Thank you for your answer.
The problem is I tried earlier calling Royal Mail and they advised that since the label is Samsung's then Samsung should be the ones contacting them and escalating the situation. So I feel now stuck between Samsung reluctance to escalate and Royal Mail not responding to me.
0 Likes
-Robot-
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
It your responsibility to get phone from you to the trade company. Yes they provided a prepaid postage but they aren't responsibile for it arriving that is really your problem.

I am not justifying, saying it right or have no sympathy, just stating the fact it is your responsibility

For the sake of £11 or whatever it is it, it's peace of mind for you
0 Likes
MB089
Explorer
Options

How am I supposed to know about this if I never had any issues before? The company sent only one trade-in label with no other options or notes suggesting I use a better service. Why would I choose a different service? The label shows a tracking number and a trade-in reference number. Why would anyone assume that it is rubbish and that they should pay for additional postage service? 

I have returned online products many times and I always use the label that the company provides to me.

If what you are writing is not a justification then what is?

0 Likes
-Robot-
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
It's not justification at all, I am just saying I don't trust anyone so rathe pay extra, I always have.

I am just stating a fact you don't have to liek it but it is what it is

And its not I don't feel bad for you, because I would be livid if that happened to me

Phones have been lost or stolen many time and people have posted on here many times and I just advised them the same s I am advising you. It may not help you in this case but I can only advise you of my best practices

I don't work for Samsung or royal mail but fact is mail does get lost

Apologises if it didn't come across as that
MB089
Explorer
Options

No problem mate, I guess your response is useful for whoever looks up this problem in the future. But for me, the best advice would be how to escalate.

The problem is most people never look up such posts or visit this forum unless they already have a problem which means it is too late to use a better postage label.

0 Likes
-Robot-
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
I guess you best option is to escalate it with Royal Mail but those guys usually weazel out of it with some thing about not being able to guarantee it

There are so great mods on here maybe they can provide assistance or advice as to what to do next
I would be so upset I can't live without my phone as it is, but best of luck