Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Emergency Test Reminder

(Topic created on: 18-04-2023 07:04 PM)
JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

Sure many of us will have heard about this  and bound to be mentioned near the time , just to give a bit of notice and see if anyone has particular views about it.

UK Government will be testing the emergency alert  system on our mobile Devices at 3PM on Sunday 23 April,there will be a loud siren like sound which will last around 10 seconds. Notification needs to be cleared before using the phone again.  Alarm will not sound if in airplay mode or switched off. There is also the option  to deactivate in Emergency Alert Settings, Safety and Emergency-Wireless Emergency Alerts. Would need to Toggle off Emergency Alerts and Severe Alerts.

Some information here,only 4G and 5G devices are compatible.  https://news.virginmediao2.co.uk/national-test-of-the-uk-emergency-alerts-service-sunday-23rd-april-... 

people at Risk of Domestic Abuse have been advised to turn off Devices they wish to keep hidden. https://www.theguardian.com/society/2023/apr/17/domestic-abuse-victims-turn-off-phones-uk-emergency-... 

I do not have a problem with it and think it will provide additional protection , not everyone is always up to date with information on other platforms  and it makes sense in these times to use technology.  obviously not suitable for everyone though but we do have a choice.  Understand some may see it as a bit of a hassle.

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

6 REPLIES 6
Glenntech
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
I turned mine off. I carry a few phones and would be annoying to try and find the phones and turn off the alerts while at my dogs birthday party 😂
keith30
Maestro
Options
If you don't want to hear it, just make sure to switch off your phone before the time it's due. Like I am
0 Likes
JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options
Well makes sense in that case 😁

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

Ry-Galaxy
Pathfinder
Options
You can turn off emergency alerts in your notification settings on advanced notifications, no need to turn your phone off
0 Likes
keith30
Maestro
Options
I would if I could but all the settings are grey out, only the permissions are visible to change so stuff this. Don't want the shiny government controlling me.
pepsikennedy
Troubleshooter
Options
Just turn your phone off a tad before 3pm like i am. Simples 😉.