Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apple Vision Pro

(Topic created on: 05-06-2023 08:53 PM)
Obsydian
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
Knowing Apple they do stay the course and really integrate and develop the hardware, software and ecosystem, unlike Samsung and Google who just lack the staying power and innovate for innovation sake and move on.

Case in point Google Glass and Samsung VR, 360 cameras.

Vision Pro is expensive but even thought you will look like an ***** for wearing a scuba mask in the living room.

That all said I felt scared of the Samsung VR iterations I used, cheap, plug in you mobile, hope the battery last and you don't burn your face, but even with poor resolution is was addictive and to loose yourself for hours was easy.

The only call back to the real world was my mobile battery died.
Add an ANC 360 head tracking headset and your lost in VR.
Regards Obsydian - (Car & Tech Evangelist)

MY DEVICES: ZFold4, Watch6 Classic, Book2 Pro i5 5G [Laptop], Buds Pro2, M70A 32 & 43”; [Monitor], Smart Tags, Dell Inspiron G5 [Laptop] / FAMILY DEVICES: ZFlip3, ZFlip4, ZFlip5, Watch6 Classic, S8 Ultra; S7+ [Tablet],  Buds Pro, iPhone 12, iPad Air 2, Air tags, iPad Mini 5, iPad Pro 12.9 GEN2 [Tablets] / HOME DEVICES: QN95A [TV], Q900A / SWA900S [Soundbar, Rears], MC28M6075 and MC32K7055 [Microwave], Jet 75 Complete (Vacuum), Samsung Level [Speaker]
0 Likes
7 REPLIES 7
IndiW
Hotshot
Options
This new project is going to be a great success

0 Likes
JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

Interesting developments in this area though personally do not think I could justify the price tag.  A bit of a hands on experience here https://www.engadget.com/apple-vision-pro-hands-on-a-new-milestone-for-mixed-reality- 

Whilst  Samsung's previous versions did not go exactly to plan it is working on a new AR/VR Headset  partnering with Google and Qualcomm.  https://www.androidcentral.com/apps-software/google-samsung-xr-partnership-new-headset 

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

Obsydian
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
Yes seeing allot of negative reviews but having perwonally used all Samsung offered, demo HTC, Oculus and some high end work VR setups with work circa £30k that required a trolley full of electronics a short wire, really poor execution apps, from Microsoft Hololens and using Unreal Engine VR, then the Apple VR is a standalone bargain for personal and businesses.

MY DEVICES: ZFold4, Watch6 Classic, Book2 Pro i5 5G [Laptop], Buds Pro2, M70A 32 & 43”; [Monitor], Smart Tags, Dell Inspiron G5 [Laptop] / FAMILY DEVICES: ZFlip3, ZFlip4, ZFlip5, Watch6 Classic, S8 Ultra; S7+ [Tablet],  Buds Pro, iPhone 12, iPad Air 2, Air tags, iPad Mini 5, iPad Pro 12.9 GEN2 [Tablets] / HOME DEVICES: QN95A [TV], Q900A / SWA900S [Soundbar, Rears], MC28M6075 and MC32K7055 [Microwave], Jet 75 Complete (Vacuum), Samsung Level [Speaker]
PaulC59
Troubleshooter
Options
I used a Samsung gear when I had an S9 and could see the attraction with VR as it was quite addictive especially when watching VR adapted movies or clips etc. I could see a lot of benefits with VR headsets which never seem to have caught on in particular the possibility to be immersed inside a movie or game etc but not sure what processing power would be needed for that. What I liked about the Gear is the fact that it used your smartphone as a screen which kept it cheap and therefore accessible to a wide range of people without breaking the bank but the downside was the extra wear and tear on your phone and a slightly clunky effect. I think it would be great if Samsung built on the old Gear principle i.e pair with your phone but just as a Bluetooth connection and build a headset with a high definition screen built in with its own power supply and speakers etc so it's more of an accessory that uses the processing power of your phone therefore minimising the need for a lot of tech in the actual headset and minimising the cost. The problem with stand alone systems is mainly huge cost to buy them which because of the amount of use they would get can make them not a worthwhile purchase in my opinion if that makes sense, I am presuming as time progresses I suspect at some point a VR headset could be the size of a pair of sunglasses
Obsydian
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
Great actual usage comments and that is what we need.

Your post just reinforced my view of Samsung, the best innovator but lacks staying power. A key tech innovator mantra is test, try, fail fast, learn and come back stronger. Samsung does the former well and then lets others succeed with those concepts (or they are clever and IP the heck of of everything).

For me the S8/S9 VR was cool, but the display resolution was as bad as the competition, but cheap and lightweight, so really a gimmick, or labs idea for the sake of an idea and no long term committment.

To recall the ones i am aware of:
Samsung VR, 360, Tags, Bixby, TV, Note 7 disaster, Beam, sure there are more.

I would hate/love to see the balance sheet for these, but criticism aside all were game changing ideas, its just Samsung prioritises NEWNESS over polished hardware/software.

Only within the last 5 years has Samsung finally come close to an Apple type ecosystem, but again it is half heart and not polished, casein in point my Zfold4,Book2 Pro, S8 Ultra, the simple "continue app on tablet, tv, mobile, laptop is still poor" vs the Apple (copy) equivalent is still poor and clunky.

All that said Samsung has MAJOR strengths, but if feel these will also fizzle without committment and staying power, case in point, tight partnerships with Microsoft, Google for now will no dount fizzle an die.

I hear we have a Samsung Ring incoming...

NOTE: I was an early Apple adopter (iPod, iPhone, iTouch, iPad), also until 6 mths ago ran both full ecosystems side by side (TV, tablet, mobile, watch), and still Samsung since the S4 Galaxy or was it the S3 Galaxy mobile ...

PaulC59
Troubleshooter
Options
I have never bought Apple but have used a corporate iPad air supplied by my employer and what I liked about it was it was reliable and ran quite smoothly which is typical of Apple products and are usually well designed. What turns me off Apple is what they stop you doing e.g sending audio or video clips via Bluetooth etc or dirty marketing tricks such as slowing down older devices in the run up to release of a newer model etc I remember some time ago now, my brother owning a new iPhone byand his after market charger just stopped working due to an iOS update forcing him to go to an apple store to buy an apple branded charger. Sony pulled a similar stunt with playstation i.e released an update that disabled a lot of after market controllers and accessories etc and things like that put me off buying anything from thos brands. I'm more of a pc geek and have build and repaired hundreds of machines and again Mac computers have a lot of of things in their favour such as innovative design, great processing power and of course security which is more consequential than by design i.e there are a lot fewer of them around so are less disirable for being targeted by ad and virus software developers etc but again they shot themselves in the foot by trying to force you to use their own alternatives and it was a long time before you could even run programs like MS Office etc on Macs. Whenever I describe Apple to people I usually say "Great Tech but Bad business practices" With Samsung I think they are market leaders in components such as RAM SSDs etc and where they are not the leaders are often the components driving other leading brands so Samsung's weaknesses are not in Tech. I think Samsung's weakness is in the other end i.e not thinking through consumer needs properly or building in limitations which **bleep** people off buying them e.g the freestyle projector which in terms of tech is probably best in its class but the failure to add more cable connectivity restricts it's use and therefore will make it a less desirable option compared to other often less capable brands.
Obsydian
Samsung Members Star ★
Options

Agreed, but it's a bit sad, like saying "Look everyone we three gave up on a half-hearted attempt a decade ago and now someone else has blindsided us with something complete and polished"

0 Likes