Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Here's how to take landscape photography. Avoid making the same mistakes over and over again!

(Topic created on: 04-01-2024 02:08 AM)
Cassidy007
Samsung Members Star ★★★
Options

This is a translation, so if you found some errors, please tell me.

To view ALL photos, I suggest using your favorite browser and clicking on the following address: 

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/photography-talk/here-s-how-to-take-landscape-photography-avoid-... 

Preamble: A landscape photo must be taken in Landscape Mode and to do so YOU MUST ROTATE THE CAMERA 90 DEGREES  and to be sure that the photo is in the right direction, the camera buttons must be on the top of the camera device . There are certainly some exceptions for not turning the device which I will tell you about below but in the majority of cases, you have to TURN THE DEVICE!

In this article, I only talk about the Photo Mode of your device. I'm barely touching on Pro or Expert Raw Mode for those who would like to go even further in photography.

Although it is possible to take wonderful photos using your camera's Photo Mode, the best photos will always be those that you take in Pro Mode and then edit, BUT: 

To take professional photos,  it is important to know Pro or Expert Raw Mode, even if Photo Mode gives you extraordinary photos. Once you know how to work with these 2 software/modes whose parameters you will have to adjust manually, you will be able to use any of the existing cameras on earth because you will have acquired the necessary basics to succeed in all your photos .

Landscape photos are the easiest photos to take if you have a photographer's eye and are familiar with the Rule of Thirds . Unfortunately, many people take these kinds of photos without turning the camera to suit the landscape and that ruins the photo. ...

If I write this article, it is because a large majority of users always make the same mistake when it comes to landscape photos and what I hope is that users understand how to achieve successful photos of landscapes and explaining to them why...

Taking photos is an ART that few possess, whereas taking successful photos is within everyone's reach and only depends on your knowledge of what is done or what is not done in photography and that is what we let's see here.

In photography, there are certain rules that should not be transgressed unless of course you are trying to impose your own style, which few photographers succeed in.

Among these rules, there is one called “ The rule of thirds ” which I talk about in the following article :

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/photography-talk/the-rule-of-thirds-from-which-all-professionals...

There is another one that is less known, especially by those who use a smartphone and who forget that a phone can go sideways, which completely changes the situation and makes you better at landscape photography. We will therefore talk here about a FORMAT rarely used in photography for landscape photos as well as the different sensors that you should use depending on the desired use.

Cassidy007_1-1704333630116.jpeg

Courtesy of @Alex-Mn...Unconventional photo cropped to 3:4 (4:3) helps highlight the subject.

Understand this : You can only very rarely take a landscape photo in Vertical Photo Mode in 3:4 format  and this is the most frequent error on the part of users.(so turning the camera and not the inverse) or the number 4 represents the width and the number 3 equals the height  All landscape photos should NORMALLY be taken in Landscape Mode in 16:9 OR 4:3 format (so without turning the camera over) unless you know something about photography.

You can only take this kind of photos when you want to highlight a watercourse (< a i=3>or a subject) along its entire length and not the trees all around.

Cassidy007_2-1704333630075.jpeg

Successful photo in 3:4 format from Cassidy

Cassidy007_3-1704333630554.png

This photo of @pier34500  illustrates my point well!

Cassidy007_4-1704333630046.jpeg

Bad choice of lens and bad format in my opinion. 

Although I understand what Poupée wanted to show, I don't believe that the choice of the lens and the FORMAT of the photo were well chosen... In my opinion it would have been preferable to choose the Ultra Wide Angle lens and to have taken the photo while being in the center of the small bridge in 3:4 format (so photo in height rather than in width.). We would thus have seen the 3 beautiful buildings to the left of the screen as well as those on the right in addition to centering the bell tower at the very end of the watercourse...

The following photo is in the right format and highlights the watercourse which seems endless as well as the buildings which run alongside it and this closes the subject on unconventional landscape photos ACCEPTED in photography.

Cassidy007_5-1704333630055.jpeg

Successful photo (Courtesy of @Poupée  

So let's get back to business and see what the position should be for landscape photos taken in 4:3, 16:9 or Panorama Mode. The multiple photos of @Alex-Mn are mostly taken the right way and it is only by looking at HIS photos that you will learn the most.

The majority of his photos were taken in 4:3 aspect ratio and there was a reason for that. Indeed, before the arrival of Android 14 and ONE UI 6.0, it was impossible to take photos with the 50 or 200 Megapixel sensor with an aspect ratio other than 4:3.

Fortunately, it is now possible to take photos in the most popular format, 16:9 (which by the way is the format of televisions/monitors). today) and it was very FRUSTRATING for photographers because all we got in 16:9 BEFORE were photos of only 9 Megapixels so a photo with very little detail and practically impossible to crop... I admit that I haven't really used my S23ultra as much as I would have liked because of that...because I much prefer 16:9 photos to 4:3 and this despite the extraordinary photos that @Alex-Mn took on all his Ultra cameras.

The last subject to be discussed and which must always be asked: Which sensor should I use?

To answer this question, you must first know the use to which the photo is dedicated! Are these photos dedicated to putting on different social networks (1) or are they photos that I would perhaps like to print one day (2)? Did I take the photo with larger dimensions than necessary and then crop it correctly (3)? Should I use HDR?

I will try here to answer each of these questions.

• For social networks, a photo taken with the 12 Megapixel sensor is sufficient in most cases.
  • When we take photos more seriously and/or If I think that I will perhaps one day print these photos or hope that a Magazine asks for my agreement to put them in one of their pages, I will use the 50 Megapixel sensor which retains enough detail so that I can crop it moderately. (See Note* below.)
  • If I want to have as much detail as possible in the photo and/or if I want to take several photos from just one, this is the sensor you will need. Note that @Alex-Mn took 3 photos from the one he took with the 200 Megapixel sensor. Here is the original photo taken with the 200 MP sensor and then the 3 photos he took of it:
Cassidy007_1-1704335154081.jpeg

Original

Cassidy007_2-1704335192018.jpeg

Photo 1

Cassidy007_3-1704335232283.jpeg

Photo 2

Cassidy007_4-1704335251226.jpeg

Photo 3

Courtoisie @Alex-Mn 

When it comes to landscapes, HDR is often used to bring out strong colors in your photo. On the other hand, you should not be ambitious about this function, especially if you know how to rework your photo with the different photo editors, but it still gives good results when used wisely: 

Cassidy007_5-1704335296885.jpeg

HDR function enabled. Courtesy Cassidy

Personal opinion: When I go out to take REAL photos, I always choose the sensor of 50 Megapixels which is the one which gives me the most flexibility and which I can use on all occasions. I also use a tripod or tripod monopod and use my S-Pen as a trigger.

If I wish to put one of these photos on social networks (or on the forum), I take a screenshot of said photo which I will not have to crop because I will have taken it in 16:9 format which is the standard for today's screens because I know very well that it will not pass on any social network being too large for it to be accepted.

The only downside to using the 50 MP sensor is that you need to have a device with plenty of storage space so you don't have to often transfer all those photos to a larger hard drive.

Now let's look at some of the best photos taken by @Alex-Mn who does photography professionally. ... Do you often see his landscape photos taken in 3:4 Mode? The answer is NO, he always turns his smartphone to be in Landscape Mode... 

Cassidy007_11-1704333763639.jpeg

Cassidy007_12-1704333763592.jpeg

Cassidy007_13-1704333763502.jpeg

Cassidy007_14-1704333763676.jpeg

Courtesy of @Alex-Mn 

Amnahell wrote this: Photos taken in any format are accepted in social networks...For the Photo prints are better in 50M because they will be sharper even if the print will be large...The 16/9 or 3/4 format just depends on your use as landscape or portrait or others, 1/1 is reserved for ID photos...4/3 is for the 13×17 or 10×15 photo...then 16/9 is for panoramas or full format.

I practically agree with him BUT for me, a real landscape photo is taken in 16:9

If you have any questions, feel free to ask... This version of the article is not final and I will correct it as necessary if I feel that I have not answered all your questions...

** And yes, the use of a tripod is recommended when taking photos professionally because it allows us to modify the angle of the shot view, aspect ratio, adding an ND filter (now available in Expert Raw)  or 39;a polarizing filter.

The tripod allows you to take long exposures whether day or night. Doing a long exposure on a lake where there are a few waves softens these ripples and makes them practically invisible because long exposures smooth these waves and make them foamy (milky< /span>as if a cloud of mist covered only the water...

Cassidy007_15-1704333850805.jpeg

Courtesy of @Alex-Mn 

The tripod is also a necessary evil when you want to take photos of the Milky Way 

Cassidy007_16-1704333850838.jpeg

Courtesy of @Alex-Mn 

To see or read all the articles I have written regarding photography, it's here:

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/photography-talk/reorganization-of-my-articles-in-photography-ta... 

Vous aimez la photographie ? Si OUI, cliquez ici : https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/parlons-photographie/bd-p/photo-club-forum-fr
You like photography , if YES, Click here : https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/photography-talk/bd-p/photo-club-forum-uk
5 REPLIES 5
RajeevPR
Voyager
Options
Thanks for the detailed guide, will definitely use in landscape. I usually go for pro mode, hopefully will try photo mode next time
Cassidy007
Samsung Members Star ★★★
Options

Pro Mode is better if you know how to  edit of your Raw photos but you won't found all of your normal lens like .6 or 3X or 10X.

Vous aimez la photographie ? Si OUI, cliquez ici : https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/parlons-photographie/bd-p/photo-club-forum-fr
You like photography , if YES, Click here : https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/photography-talk/bd-p/photo-club-forum-uk
RajeevPR
Voyager
Options
Thats right. For landscape photography, street, macro Pro mode helps me alot
redsunset2022
Voyager
Options
Thank you for such a helpful article.
Cassidy007
Samsung Members Star ★★★
Options

@redsunset2022 

I'm happy if it helps you 😉 This is why i wrote it !

0 Likes