Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Here is how to add color to a "Black and White" photo ...

(Topic created on: 19-10-2021 03:53 PM)
Cassidy007
Samsung Members Star ★★★
Options

If you like this article, do not hesitate to click on LIKE because it encourages me to continue .

How to switch from a "Black and White" image and add color to it with the Samsung editor or with your camera

I will explain the technical side to you first and then we will move on to the practical side of the exercise.

How would you like to succeed in doing THIS? 

Cassidy007_1-1653323065572.jpeg

This photo is courtesy of Jef Canton (FR)

For a better visualization, I suggest you open this post in your favorite browser here :  

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/photography-talk/here-is-how-to-add-color-to-a-quot-black-and-wh...

Here is the list of my subjects :

• (More to come)

In fact, I may not have told you the whole truth because in order to successfully reproduce photos like the ones above, the photo taken had to be in color at the start . So I am going to explain to you what is really going to happen technically and then you will better understand why we have to remove the color and then put it back.

You need to know this: when you take a black and white photo, the reality is that you are taking a color photo that has had the color intensity reduced to ZERO but you can still get the colors back if you want to. elsewhere here is a screenshot proving it to you: If you edit the black and white photo you took, your editor will ask you if you want to RESTORE the photo ... if you say YES you will see the color photo which is the photo actual that was recorded on the device. Admit you didn't know that, eh? 

Cassidy007_3-1636160072910.jpeg

It might be difficult to understand that the intensity of the colors has been reduced to ZERO when we see the opposite in the screenshot but the fact remains that we had to put the cursor at MAXIMUM to remove the color.

Here is how it works technically, it will help you better understand the steps below.

• Samsung will first create a Black and White image of your color photo which will be layer 1
  • Then, they will create a color layer of your photo that they will overlay on the Black and White image. So layer 2 added ON layer 1
  • Then, with the erase, you will erase the unwanted parts on your color filter (layer 2) and since it will be erased, you will see the Black and White photo below.
  • Once you are satisfied with the given result and save your photo, Samsung will melt / flatten the 2 layers together to give you the final version of the future photo.
  • Here, you will have succeeded in making a superb image, I do not even doubt it.

Now here is the PRACTICAL part of this article.

Here's how to go from a black and white image and add color to it  ...

In fact, I should rather ask you how we go from colors to Black and White and then put the color back and then erase it ... ARE YOU FOLLOWING ME ??? I did not either lol...

So here is how to do it with the Samsung's Editor . 

Know that to succeed in this trick, I USE THE S-PEN of my Tab S4 tablet my Note10 + , it allows me to go to the smallest corners when I work on my image !!! (a pencil with a rubber tip would also do the trick, you will have to put the size of the tip smaller than the tutorial)

Cassidy007_0-1653321756830.jpeg

That said, there are 2 ways to get this result and we will look at them together

Step 1 and 2

1. Find the photo you want to edit in the Photo gallery and then click on the pencil which will open the Samsung editor.

2. Then you will click on the 3 small dots at the top right and you will see the following window. Click on Spot Color and suddenly the colors will disappear from the photo. 

Cassidy007_0-1653322839396.jpeg

Sorry, it's in french ...couleur zone is Spot color in English. This was made on Android 11 Ui 3.x

Following picture show you how to retreive it in Android 12 One UI 4.1

Cassidy007_0-1653274213086.jpeg

3. Now we are going to do the reverse and add color to the photo.

Photo 3 , With this icon, you can add color to the entire photo  

Photo 4 , Click on the erase. As the name says, you are going to ERASE the areas of the image where you want to REMOVE the color. You will notice that the eraser size is 28 at the moment and allows you to roughly define the different areas  

You do what is possible to do and then you will decrease the size of the eraser to better define the areas or remove the colors and allow you to go into small details.

Cassidy007_2-1653322050738.jpeg

Photo 5      Gradually erase the colors until you are satisfied. Then, click on the small one  Cassidy007_4-1634654866454.png

at the bottom right .

Cassidy007_3-1653322082176.jpeg

And if you are satisfied, save your image.

Cassidy007_4-1653322137275.jpeg

Here is the result ... Not bad hey ?

Before

Cassidy007_4-1636160203767.jpeg

After

Cassidy007_6-1653322246203.jpeg

Way # 2, this time, it will be done automatically thanks to your camera

The second way is not as precise as the first BUT you will not need to go through the whole process described above to get a certain result. However, I cannot tell you if all Samsung devices allow this. possibility or if it is reserved for high-end devices but hey, I imagine that there will be one among you who will tell me 😁

Here are some examples :

Cassidy007_7-1653322279736.jpeg

1, Choose PORTRAIT mode and then select COLOR POINT. You might be surprised to see all the filters that Samsung offers in this mode which you may never use. But for now, we will only talk about the color point since it is the one that is responsible for the second solution.

Cassidy007_0-1653332564703.jpeg

In this Mode, you will see a slider from 0 to 7. This has the function of blurring or not the background as in the following photos. Take the time to enlarge the photos for better viewing.

Cassidy007_0-1634657558980.jpeg

Cassidy007_0-1634658107697.png

You will notice the instruction from Samsung which asks you to stand 1 to 1.5 meters from the subject for the best effect. That said, what you will see on the camera screen is not 100% of what you will get which is meant to be BETTER than what is on the screen. You will need practices to get the results you want but it will only give you better and it is by practicing that you become professionals and / or informed photographers. 

Cassidy007_0-1653330807333.jpeg

Here is what complete this article. Don't be shy about asking me questions!

Cassidy007_0-1634655489665.jpeg

Cassidy007_1-1634655512266.jpeg

Cassidy007_2-1634655562739.jpeg

Home

Cassidy007_0-1653323451970.jpeg

Courtesy of Darren C. Walker, photographer. (CA)

Cassidy007_1-1635099565376.jpeg

This photo by  Jeno16 (Fr) shows that you can make something that stands out from a simple photo

That said, the original photo was already excellent. Well done Jeno !

Are you satisfied or even surprised? Here is how I proceeded !!! It was easy NO ? ...

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/photography-talk/bd-p/photo-club-forum-uk

Let's share the knowledge, it unites the Community

Vous aimez la photographie ? Si OUI, cliquez ici : https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/parlons-photographie/bd-p/photo-club-forum-fr
You like photography , if YES, Click here : https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/photography-talk/bd-p/photo-club-forum-uk
0 REPLIES 0