Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S21 battery draining very quickly

(Topic created on: 06-03-2024 05:54 PM)
Alrocsmash
Journeyman
Options

Howdy folks,

My S21, current OS patch version, randomly started overheating and battery draining very quickly last week. This was an abrupt change in behavior. I factory reset my phone. That fixed it for a few days and then this issue reappeared. I cleared my partition cache, no change. I swapped my battery for an OEM battery at a shop. No change. Accubattery and Devcheck both say no app is draining any CPU, RAM or power unnecessarily. This has to be a droid OS issue. Apparently late last year around One 6.0 some bad stuff happened and I have now been affected and cannot find any resolution. My phone now has to be on a charger 24/7 for normal use. The heat alone will end of life the device prematurely. Totally unacceptable.

Help? Much appreciated.

0 Likes
17 REPLIES 17
Lee_Young
Pioneer
Options

Bonsoir,

J'aimerais vous poser plusieurs questions au préalable, pour éliminer le problème plus rapidement : Quand avez vous acheter le téléphone ? (car si vous l'avez acheté il y a moins de deux ans avec la garantie, vous aurez peut être un remboursement ou d'autres privilèges), Avez vous sauvegardé les données de votre téléphone en cas d'arrêt complet de celui-ci ? 

Lee.

0 Likes
Slacks82
Journeyman
Options
My s23+ has started this exact behaviour after latest update... brand new phone, no apps running and now too hot to keep in pocket! Battery lasting half a day on new phone too.
0 Likes
Alrocsmash
Journeyman
Options

Thank god for google translate. It's over 2 years old, I don't have any warranty. And yes I have all my data backed up.

ChrisP88
Options

We can see you posting some help to other users here in French so we'll put a translation below again to help others who may come across this post:

'I would like to ask you several questions beforehand, to resolve the problem more quickly: When did you buy the phone? (because if you bought it less than two years ago with the warranty, you may have a refund or other privileges), Have you backed up the data on your phone in case it completely shuts down? ?'

Also, if you want to communicate with other users from France or simply in French, the following board may be of use to you as well:

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/fran%C3%A7ais/ct-p/fr?page=1&tab=setting:samsung.featured_topics

Alrocsmash
Journeyman
Options

I'm a native English speaker. The french was surprising but appreciate the help.

0 Likes
westaf2000
First Poster
Options

My S21 also just started doing this yesterday afternoon. All of a sudden the phone stays warm even if the screen is off. No app is shown as draining battery. I tried hard-rebooting and it didn't help. Trying cache partition wipe now but looks like that most likely won't help either.

0 Likes
MrBond007
First Poster
Options

I have exactly the same problem, started yesterday, battery draining within 6-7 hours, with only maybe 20-30 minutes of use. Battery usage by application were only at 1 or 2% of usage. The phone appears warmer and slower (somethings running jerky and sound crackling). Battery estimated life left says it should run for a day. Looked at it when I had 18% left, it said 4h 30 mins left, it was dead within 30 minutes. Phone usage today was at around 20 minutes.

0 Likes
Alrocsmash
Journeyman
Options

This exact problem is on reddit as well. Samsung needs to answer for this. Also, as stated above, a factory reset fixed it for a week then it went back to this behavior. Wildly suspicious. That means it's not a hardware issue, and it isn't an app drain issue per all the monitoring I did. It has to be OS based, aka either a bug or intentional hardware refresh.

- Phone fine

- Phone starts to dramatically over heat, apps are not the cause given all monitoring

- No reply?

This is just stupid. Samsung, please respond here. One of your most distributed phone platforms is overheating and destroying itself.

westaf2000
First Poster
Options

Looks like we are all hitting the same issue. (My cache partition clean up didn't work.) Even leaving the phone out of my pocket I can still feel the phone is warm.

Do you have a link to the reddit thread on this problem?

0 Likes