Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to stop Camera Auto Rotating photos

(Topic created on: 3 weeks ago)
Bel-Fz
Explorer
Options

How can I stop the camera on my Samsung S21 deciding to rotate photos I take?  This is incredibly annoying, it does it a lot and there is no sense to it.  I've looked for a setting in the camera setting but can't find anything.  

Is this a Samsung problem or an Android problem does anyone know?

PLEASE can someone help?  Thanks

0 Likes
7 REPLIES 7
SereneH
Options
0 Likes
Yetski
Journeyman
Options
Try turning the auto rotation off.....
0 Likes
Bel-Fz
Explorer
Options

You say "try turning the auto rotation off", there is no such setting in the camera settings, this is the whole problem, this is why I'm asking the question.  

And it has NOTHING to do with the screen auto rotation.  I've tried turning that off but it has no effect as it's completely separate.  

0 Likes
Bel-Fz
Explorer
Options

I thought I'd replied to this but can't find my reply.    What the camera does has nothing to do with the screen auto-rotate.  I've tried turning that off, or on, but it makes no difference.  The camera still rotates the photographs sometimes, for no reason.  

0 Likes
AndrewL
Options

@Bel-Fz: For clarity, are you taking a photo in Landscape mode (as an example), but the resulting image is showing in portrait mode in the Gallery app? Please be aware that landscape images, when viewed in portrait mode, will show in a 'letter box' format, and will require you to turn the phone to Landscape mode in order to be viewed full screen.

If a photo is showing in Landscape while being viewed in Portrait mode, or vice versa, then you do have the option of tapping the pencil symbol at the bottom of the image to enter editing mode > Tap the square with the arrow above it (located below the preview window), and this will rotate the image. When you're happy with the changes, hit Save. 

If this hasn't helped, then please attach a screenshot of your Gallery with some examples of the issue clearly visible, so I'm able to gain a better understanding.

0 Likes
Bel-Fz
Explorer
Options

Thank you for your reply.  Yes, I know how the landscape and portrait mode works, and I know that if I take a photo in landscape mode it will show in a sort of "letter box" format.   This is not the problem.  The problem is that the camera turns some of the photos around itself. 

Sometimes it turns portrait photos round one turn to the right so they end up landscape in a letter box format and unreadable if it's text.   Sometimes it turns landscape photos round so they're upside down.   And sometimes it turns landscape photos round so they end up in portrait mode.    Really annoying.

I know how to edit the photo afterwards and can therefore rotate it so it shows correctly, then save it, but I don't want to have to keep doing this, I just want the camera to stop turning the photos round in the first place, this shouldn't be difficult!

I know that other people have had this problem too.  EG on this thread:  https://www.reddit.com/r/GalaxyS22/comments/yape5f/how_do_i_disable_my_camera_from_making_my/

I didn't really understand the solution given in this thread, I think it is to use another app, instead of the built in camera app.  

0 Likes
Bel-Fz
Explorer
Options

Hi Andrew, I know you asked for screenshots, but they really won't help as it's as straight forward as me taking a photo in say, portrait mode, and the camera turning the photo round to display in landscape mode.  The same photo will also appear on my computer rotated round into landscape mode, unless I edit it.  

This doesn't happen when taking photos of people or views etc, but usually when photographing documents or printed photographs.  I just want the camera to stop rotating the photo.

Please can you or anyone else help?   Or perhaps I should use a different camera app, is that even possible?

Thank you.   

0 Likes