Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Gmail will not re-install on Galaxy S9 - it has me going around in a loop

(Topic created on: 04-03-2023 08:40 PM)
Knutsfordgeorge
Explorer
Options

My issue starts from the Gmail icon on my mobile phone.

When i try to re-install Gmail, the following dialogue takes place on my Samsung Galaxy S9 mobile:

"Welcome to Gmail" is displayed

I skip the splash screen

I am prompted to "Add an email address"

I am given the opportunity to "Set up email", with a choice of email clients

I pick "Google", and the system says "Checking Info" ...

I am presented with a "Sign in" screen.

I enter my email address  and hit "Next"

I enter my password and hit "Next"

I am presented with "2-Step Verification" and my other spare mobile pings

My other mobile displays "Are you trying to sign in?"

I respond by accepting the "Yes, it's me" button

Control returns to my Galaxy S9 mobile

I agree "The Terms of Reference"

Google Services displays "Just a sec..." and waits for quite a few seconds 

Then I am presented with the prompt to add an email address again

I hit "Take me to Gmail" and the screen says "Please add at least one address"

So I am back where I started. Frustrating!

[Google-One Support thought that the Gmail App wasn't saving the data of the login, but could not explain why, and referred me to Samsung for further assistance]

0 Likes
27 REPLIES 27
Knutsfordgeorge
Explorer
Options

Good morning 

To bring you up to date, Google One Support (1st line) have escalated my issue within their organisation. It could be up to 48 hours before I receive a response. I will keep you posted.

Kind regards, George  

0 Likes
ReeceQ
Navigator
Options
That's good. I do think it's a Google issue and not phone issue. Let us know.
0 Likes
Knutsfordgeorge
Explorer
Options

Hello again

GoogleOne Support 2nd-line are taking a look at this but, in the meantime, they have suggested I also seek assistance from the Google Community Forum.  I did ask your questions, but they did not answer them for me 😕 

George

0 Likes
ReeceQ
Navigator
Options
Let's see what Google say. Another option is I create a new Gmail email address that works and send to u to test? Obviously if it does please change password.

But let's see what Google say.
0 Likes
Knutsfordgeorge
Explorer
Options

Good morning
Google have asked me to perform a small number of trouble-shooting tasks, to check if they resolve the issue including:

Check if i've signed into the correct Google account

Update the time

Check software and system updates on my phone

Check if i have a strong wifi or mobile data connection

Check if there are any issues with my payment profile

These have not made a difference.

The frustrating thing is that i can see my email and play store apps,  by "opening a new tab in the group" by pressing an  Apps icon on the grid displayed through the chrome browser!

0 Likes
ReeceQ
Navigator
Options
What do you mean can see email address. On laptop? When you can , I take can't access it?

Because you can't access Google services.

Have you tried creating a new email address elsewhere like work laptop etc and see if it creates a new email address and enter details on phone and see if it moves forward?

0 Likes
Knutsfordgeorge
Explorer
Options

Hello again ReeceQ. I will try out what you suggest.

I wasn't very clear on my last message. It  was all related to the S9 phone, and launching www.google.co.uk. From there I am presented with a 9-dot grid. When I press that grid, all the Google App icons are displayed on the phone screen. If I hold down an App icon, I get a sub-menu of choices, including "Open in new tab in Group". For example:

If I press say "Mail", and decide to "Open in new tab in Group", then I get a very simple list of my emails. (not the Gmail App i'm used to seeing)

If I press say "Play", and decide to "Open in new tab in Group", then i can try to install any new software app, But  then I get pushed back to the start again ( so the same underlying problem exists)

NEXT STEP

As you suggest I will try creating a new [gmail] email address elsewhere (on my Chromebook) and see if it creates a new email address. If it does I will enter the details on my S9 phone and see if it moves forward.

Knutsfordgeorge
Explorer
Options

I have been able to set up a new gmail address on my Chromebook.

But, when I try enter the details on my S9 phone, it runs into exactly the same problem again. I can't get past accepting the "Terms of Service" and the "Just a minute" message 😕

0 Likes
PaulM1
Options

This is a very unusual issue, @Knutsfordgeorge. I can see that you have already been through a variety of steps.

There's actually a very handy guide that gives pertinent tips on what you can do when the Google Play Store does not load or download apps - some of the steps should prove useful in this instance as well:

https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/mobile-devices/what-to-do-if-google-play-store-will-not-load-or-d...

If these steps do not work, I'd be inclined to suggest that you perform a Factory reset on your S9, making sure that you have backed up all your data beforehand:

https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/mobile-devices/how-do-i-perform-factory-reset-on-my-mobile-device...

Please keep us updated on this.

0 Likes
ReeceQ
Navigator
Options
Have you looked at sign in options. Two step verification? What do your options say? Does that make a difference in anyway.
0 Likes